Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

A good cordless drill to buy?

Does what it says on the tin
midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

A good cordless drill to buy?

Postby midnightcatprowl » November 22nd, 2016, 12:52 pm

The shops are full of them but I don't know how to choose. Brushless (?), chuckless (?) power ratings that don't convey a lot to me.

I'm just getting back into doing a bit of basic DiY after many years when I hadn't the time. My 'level' is putting up shelves, attaching things to walls, putting up curtain rails, that sort of thing. I'll need to be able to drill into wood, plaster and brick. I'm reasonably strong but because of an arthritic condition I find 'fiddly' things difficult and remember when I owned a hammer drill a long time ago that I struggled with changing the drill bits. I suppose it would be best if it wasn't too heavy but would that mean it wouldn't be up to the sort of jobs I'm looking at?

I don't have a specific budget but don't want to waste money on something too heavy/complicated/fiddly for me to use effectively. On the other hand I don't want to buy a cheapo and then discover it's no good.

All advice appreciated,

Lynn

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Re: A good cordless drill to buy?

Postby gryffron » November 22nd, 2016, 1:03 pm

For occasional DIY you don't need an expensive one.

Twist chuck (sometimes called chuckless) is better than a key, which you always lose, but I think that's 99% of modern stuff.

And a spare battery - cos it always runs out just when you need it, which again comes as standard with many models. Except the very cheapest, and perversely the most expensive (which expect you to be buying several tools in their range).

Check aldi for bargain offers? or ToolStation or Screwfix.

gryff

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 22nd, 2016, 1:23 pm

I bought one of these https://www.powertoolsuk.co.uk/dewalt-d ... rills.html a few months ago. I actually got it from B&Q on a special offer for around £90 but they don't appear to do it any more, but this looks very similar from Screwfix: http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcd776 ... rill/2710p .... £99.99

2 batteries, keyless chuck, carry case, 3-year guarantee. I'm no expert on DIY tools, but I'm more than happy with this purchase.

--kiloran

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 22nd, 2016, 2:13 pm

I'd recommend a Bosch, I've had them for the past 15 years and they've be reliable. Get one with a lithium ion battery, much better than NiCads and your need a hammer action too by the sound of it.

Something like this, I have a similar one without the hammer action and with a lower capacity battery. It is small but just as powerful as much bigger drills and the battery lasts really well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-60398397 ... less+drill

I'd not bother with two batteries for light use since Li-ion batteries hold their charge well and if your battery runs down in the drill the chances are you would forget to charge the spare anyway. Two batteries are more useful if you are doing a lot of work and will completely discharge a battery in one sitting...unlikely in your case.

John

pendas
2 Lemon pips

Postby pendas » November 22nd, 2016, 2:18 pm

My observation of battery tools as an infrequent DIYer is that the battery will always be flat when I come to want to use them. This may well be several months or more since the tool was last used and I don't think batteries like this kind of treatment, being left to self discharge over a long period.

The upshot is that I fall back on a mains powered or hand tool because I can't wait for the battery to charge when I want to use it and that's assuming it will charge after this dormant period.

So while battery powered tools have obvious advantages, I'm not so convinced of their benefits for the occasional user based on my own experience.

Diziet

Postby Diziet » November 22nd, 2016, 2:23 pm

I have had a cordless drill from Aldi for years (their own brand) and it was very good. I think it had a spare battery, and I kept a battery on charge all the time. Then I was given a Bosch and gave the Aldi one away. Bosch drill is very good, but not that much better than the cheap Aldi one for everyday use.

I disagree with the suggestion to get a mains powered one. The usability is far better with the cordless.

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » November 22nd, 2016, 3:03 pm

I have various drills and saws, all Ryobi, and all using the same battery.

I spent about £70 on buying a new drill that came with two batteries.
Took out the batteries, and flogged the drill body - brand new and unused - for £30 on Ebay.

Two new batteries for £40 - bargain!

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 22nd, 2016, 3:53 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:I have various drills and saws, all Ryobi, and all using the same battery.

I'm also a big fan of the Ryobi One+ system, where various DIY tool-body's can use the same type of 18V batteries. The 45 minute charger removes the problem already raised regarding flat-batteries when you need them, at least to the point where jobs still get done that day if you find you're out of juice when you pick it up....

Ryobi tools I own and can recommend -

Cordless combi (normal and hammer) drill with two 1.3Ah batteries and a separate 45 minute charger - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryobi-Cordless ... 00DYSZQJA/

Cordless Grass Strimmer - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryobi-OLT1831S ... B00HUX5E1A

Cordless Hand-Vacuum (powerful) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryobi-CHV182M- ... B0052QUB5G

Not owned, as I already have a different type -

Multi-Tool - amazon.co.uk/Ryobi-RMT1801M-Multi-Tool-Body/dp/B006XBSP52

Larger capacity batteries can be purchased separately -

2.5Ah - amazon.co.uk/Ryobi-RB18L25-ONE-Lithium-Battery/dp/B00NDFX6PK

4.0Ah - amazon.co.uk/Ryobi-RB18L40-ONE-Lithium-Battery/dp/B00BRGR2PM

I've been really impressed by the Ryobi One+ range of tools. I like the idea that they are so widely used that if I ever need to buy extra batteries in the future, the market is very likely to still be there for them given such widespread use.

The tools themselves are really well made and up to the jobs being asked of them.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » November 22nd, 2016, 4:32 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:I have various drills and saws, all Ryobi, and all using the same battery.

I'm also a big fan of the Ryobi One+ system, where various DIY tool-body's can use the same type of 18V batteries. [/quote]

I find that the batteries retain their charge when left unused exceptionally well. Then again, they are new batteries :D

toofast2live
Lemon Slice

Postby toofast2live » November 22nd, 2016, 6:12 pm

The dwalt is awesome! It's as good as a corded drill. The rest I throw out after a couple of years. Mine cost about £130 with one battery.

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » November 22nd, 2016, 7:50 pm

Just been doing a bit of research.
At B&Q they have the Ryobi One+ cordless drill and 2 batteries.
Latest price £87.00

Buy, that, and if you can sell the new drill body on Ebay for £30.00 (which is what I did) then you've bought 2 (smaller 1.3Ah) batteries for £57.00.

They sell a slightly larger capacity battery, 1.5Ah, for £50.00. Using that for price indications, for two batteries:

Overall, my method still indicates a saving of £43.00, with the proviso of 2 slightly smaller capacity batteries.
As the whole point of two batteries, is one charges while the other gets used, the lesser run-time for the smaller battery isn't that important.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 22nd, 2016, 7:56 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:
Just been doing a bit of research.

At B&Q they have the Ryobi One+ cordless drill and 2 batteries.
Latest price £87.00

Buy, that, and if you can sell the new drill body on Ebay for £30.00 (which is what I did) then you've bought 2 (smaller 1.3Ah) batteries for £57.00

Or....buy the same Ryobi drill pack and twin batteries from the Amazon link I posted earlier for £79.00 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryobi-Cordless ... 00DYSZQJA/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » November 22nd, 2016, 8:09 pm

In my experience if you want to drill brick, concrete or similar effortlessly a mains power SDS dill is the business. For DIY use it doesn't matter too much which one but Lid/Aldi do one for about £50 with a 3 year guarantee.

If it is just a drill for light stuff and a bit of screwdriving, a cordless is what you need, a number have been mentioned already which will probably be fine. I currently have a Dewalt from Screwfix which is excellent.

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » November 22nd, 2016, 8:21 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Or....buy the same Ryobi drill pack and twin batteries from the Amazon link I posted earlier for £79.00 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryobi-Cordless ... 00DYSZQJA/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Makes my point even stronger - and if you get a higher price reselling the drill body, better still.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 22nd, 2016, 8:27 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
Or....buy the same Ryobi drill pack and twin batteries from the Amazon link I posted earlier for £79.00 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryobi-Cordless ... 00DYSZQJA/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Makes my point even stronger - and if you get a higher price reselling the drill body, better still.

Yes, I wasn't in any way disagreeing with your point, which I think is a good approach to these deals sometimes. I was just letting you know that the pack-deal was available even cheaper, that's all.

Also agree with your earlier point that the Ryobi One+ Li-On batteries hold their charges really well. I've found the same with the four batteries that I own. The 4Ah battery is a beast of a thing - I think I'd wear myself out much sooner than that thing will drain down over any given day! :O)

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » November 22nd, 2016, 10:32 pm

I'm still using my 18v NiCd version of the DeWalt from Screwfix mentioned above, it's more or less still the same but now of course with Li-ion batteries and close to trade quality. Mine came with 2 batteries of 1.3 amp-hours which are fine for many jobs but just don't last long enough (even with interim quick charging) for real work and I acquired a couple of 2.4Ah ones which are still going strong . Most cordless drills these days, and many mains-powered ones are keyless and effortless to tighten. Cordless is generally easier to use and more practical around the house and garden and is invaluable for screwdriving but for drilling into brick or larger holes you really need a bit more grunt so I prefer a mains SDS. DeWalt, Bosch (blue are best), Makita are all good makes and not much point in going far above the base models for DIY.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » November 23rd, 2016, 11:49 am

For relatively modest DIY tasks my suggestion would be to stick to a lower power one to keep the weight down. I have a 10.4v DeWalt for around the house and it is more than adequate. You are not on a site all day so batteries that last forever are not IMHO key and the price really ramps up with spec, two cheaper ones will suit you fine as long as you keep the spare charged.

I would recommend getting a compatible impact driver as well if you don't already have one.

Terry.

taylor20
Lemon Pip

Postby taylor20 » November 23rd, 2016, 12:45 pm

toofast2live wrote:The dwalt is awesome! It's as good as a corded drill. The rest I throw out after a couple of years. Mine cost about £130 with one battery.

I'd second this comment, a good cordless (I got a Makita with 2 18V 3.0Ah batteries, but this was when I did a lot of DIY though) out classes my corded drill in all departments.

If you think the job needs more oomph then hire/borrow an SDS drill, I can count on one hand the times I've thought I would need one though.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » November 23rd, 2016, 1:08 pm

Having been disappointed with two cheapish drills - whose batteries ran out quickly and took ages to charge - I shelled out for Makita DHP481RTJ brushless combi drill with 2 x 18v Li-ion 5.0Ah batteries. Expensive, but brilliant.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 23rd, 2016, 3:18 pm

Another vote for the Ryobi 1. Bought the current one s/h on eBay.

I upgraded to lithium batteries, which hold a longer charge and recharge faster. One new, one s/h on eBay.

Also have their angle drill.
Impact driver (eBay).
Circular saw.
Hedge trimmer which is pretty much useless.

However, if you have arthritis, would beware of a keyless chuck as it can be hard to get them tight enough to stop the drill slipping. See how you get on.

A power screwdriver is also jolly useful
The Bosch IXO packs a big punch for a small tool and saves a lot of wear and tear on one's arm.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Radiator-Valv ... Sw8-tWZWMK

V8

Return to “Building and DIY”