Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

A good cordless drill to buy?

Does what it says on the tin
JonnyT
Lemon Pip

Re: A good cordless drill to buy?

Postby JonnyT » November 28th, 2016, 5:26 pm

I have two cheaper 18V cordless drills a Black and Decker and a 19.99 Ebay special. Both are fine for most things.

However my mate who's a builder has a dewalt and you would be amazed at how much better this is for anything that requires torque like fixing battens to masonry, drilling masonry etc. Absolutely no comparison. They are the dogs bollox ;)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 30th, 2016, 3:27 pm

I am still using the cordless drill that my old dad used to have in the 1960s. It has a keyless chuck, it never runs out of battery, and all I need to do is turn the handle and hey presto, it just works. :mrgreen:

BJ

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » November 30th, 2016, 3:37 pm

How long does it take to drill a couple of inches into a brick wall I wonder?

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » November 30th, 2016, 5:07 pm

I am still using the cordless drill that my old dad used to have in the 1960s. It has a keyless chuck, it never runs out of battery, and all I need to do is turn the handle and hey presto, it just works

You must weigh a lot more than my Dad did. When he leaned on one of those and turned the handle nothing much happened for a very long time.

Gromley

Postby Gromley » December 2nd, 2016, 12:23 am

kiloran wrote:I bought one of these https://www.powertoolsuk.co.uk/dewalt-d ... rills.html a few months ago. I actually got it from B&Q on a special offer for around £90 but they don't appear to do it any more, but this looks very similar from Screwfix: http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcd776 ... rill/2710p .... £99.99

2 batteries, keyless chuck, carry case, 3-year guarantee. I'm no expert on DIY tools, but I'm more than happy with this purchase.

--kiloran

Not an expert by any means, but I bought a DeWalt (not sure if the same model) earlier in the year and it has been fantastic, the generic models I've had in the past have suffered from the battery going in less than 18 months - I havent had this one that long yet, but I'm confident. I was swayed by the fact that my kitchen installer swore by dewalt so I thought I would follow the pros as it was not outrageously expensive.

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Postby bionichamster » December 2nd, 2016, 11:13 am

quelquod wrote:How long does it take to drill a couple of inches into a brick wall I wonder?

About as long as a piece of string....

Depends on the type of brick, the quality/condition of the bit and the type of drill used. Anything from 10+ minutes to half a second in my experience!

BH

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » December 2nd, 2016, 3:18 pm

bionichamster wrote:
quelquod wrote:How long does it take to drill a couple of inches into a brick wall I wonder?

About as long as a piece of string....

Depends on the type of brick, the quality/condition of the bit and the type of drill used. Anything from 10+ minutes to half a second in my experience!

BH

I'm sure that's true - did you notice the preceding post which I was replying to? ;)

Paultry
2 Lemon pips

Postby Paultry » December 2nd, 2016, 10:37 pm

Lidl on occasion sell 18V drill, circ saw, jig saw at £40 each.

They work marvellously. I've had them over 2 years and they are fine.

Paul

runnygum
Lemon Pip

Postby runnygum » December 4th, 2016, 6:39 pm

The best drill I have used was a 32V one. Lower voltage = less torque, the 32V one made light work of heavy drilling into railway sleepers where my 18V job had given up the ghost in no time.

So for "good" I would now read "high voltage"

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 4th, 2016, 8:08 pm

runnygum wrote:The best drill I have used was a 32V one. Lower voltage = less torque, the 32V one made light work of heavy drilling into railway sleepers where my 18V job had given up the ghost in no time.

So for "good" I would now read "high voltage"

There is no doubt that for heavy jobs you need something with a bit of grunt and for those jobs I still use my 20 year old mains voltage black and decker. I used to do a lot of DIY when fixing up our present house 10-15 years ago and then I found that my Bosch 18V was a very useful tool. I also had a 12v for lighter jobs.

However the downside of those tools is that they are big and heavy. Try holding one of those all day while screwing a load of decking and your forearms will be screaming at the end of the day. For 90% of what the average DIY person needs then an modern LioN like this

http://www.diy.com/departments/bosch-co ... 659_BQ.prd

will do every thing you want, be light and easy to use and the battery will keep going and hold its charge all day .

£50! An absolute steal.

I'd buy one if I didn't have the pro version already.

John

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » January 29th, 2017, 2:11 pm

Belated thank you to everyone who responded to my query, I found the comments very helpful. In particular they made me go into B&Q and actually hold a few of the drills which in turn made a big difference to my decision.

In the end I bought the Bosch which a couple of people had recommended

http://www.diy.com/departments/bosch-co ... 659_BQ.prd

It was a big cheaper before Christmas and as I went to B&Q on a Wednesday and I'm a hold of their 'Diamond' card I got an extra 10% off their cheaper price. So far I'm very pleased with it and feel able to control it which - due to an arthritic condition - was an important point. I realise it may not be sufficient for drilling into some surfaces but having read all the comments I decided it might be better to tackle simpler tasks first and wait and see how my DIY skills develop and what this drill can cope with before buying a much more expensive and much more powerful drill that I might find it difficult to use.

Return to “Building and DIY”