Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

What dust mask?

Does what it says on the tin
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

What dust mask?

Postby DrFfybes » December 4th, 2017, 12:45 pm

We have some hardwood doors in the house with matt coating that was applied at manufacture.

It is a bit orange and we've always intended to remove it, but MrsF. has had a few days off an gained some momentum, so one of the doors is now lied in the dining room (with the heating off in there to reduce warping). No sort of chemical seems to touch it, so we are resorting to sanding.

Sanding the flat bits is easy, but the mouldings are a PITA. So far the best thing seems to be a dremel and the wire chimney sweep bruck, but this releases some very fine dust that I'm not keen on inhaling.

I'm looking at a decent dust mas - the ones with the bendy metal strip over the nose never seem to seal well, and I see '3M' branded respirators on sale on Ebay for under a tenner. I assume for these you just buy the relevant filter inserts, but I'm a bit suspicious about how cheap they are.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a fine dust mask, or any experience of these respirators?

thanks

Paul

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Re: What dust mask?

Postby csearle » December 4th, 2017, 2:12 pm

DrFfybes wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions for a fine dust mask, or any experience of these respirators?
What is the 3M part number? 3M do several different types of mask. The ones I like are 3M but are the sort with the bendy nose thingamajig.

Chris

Devjon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Devjon » December 4th, 2017, 3:14 pm

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » December 4th, 2017, 3:25 pm

DrFfybes wrote:We have some hardwood doors in the house with matt coating that was applied at manufacture.

It is a bit orange and we've always intended to remove it, but MrsF. has had a few days off an gained some momentum, so one of the doors is now lied in the dining room (with the heating off in there to reduce warping). No sort of chemical seems to touch it, so we are resorting to sanding.

Sanding the flat bits is easy, but the mouldings are a PITA. So far the best thing seems to be a dremel and the wire chimney sweep bruck, but this releases some very fine dust that I'm not keen on inhaling.

I'm looking at a decent dust mas - the ones with the bendy metal strip over the nose never seem to seal well, and I see '3M' branded respirators on sale on Ebay for under a tenner. I assume for these you just buy the relevant filter inserts, but I'm a bit suspicious about how cheap they are.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a fine dust mask, or any experience of these respirators?

thanks

Paul

I get on well with these 3M masks:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

RC

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » December 5th, 2017, 7:50 pm

Thanks.

I was looking at the half mask respirators with changeable filters rather than the 1 month use ones, 3M seem popular and they do a 6000 series and a 7500 series.

My concern is the price differential...

Screwfix item 4786G is the 6000 mask, £20 for the bare mask, and yet on Ebay you can get mask, filter holders, filter adaptors and filters for £11 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-6200-7-in ... 4902.l9144

The screwfix 7500 mask kit is also £11 on Ebay, and £57 in Screwfix, which really makes me wonder about the provenance.

Or the Ebay description.

Paul

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » December 7th, 2017, 5:03 pm

DrFfybes wrote:Thanks.

My concern is the price differential...

Screwfix item 4786G is the 6000 mask, £20 for the bare mask, and yet on Ebay you can get mask, filter holders, filter adaptors and filters for £11 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-6200-7-in ... 4902.l9144

Or the Ebay description.

Paul

How soon do you require it? Have you read the shipping info? It states:

1). All the items will be dispatched within 2 day by Hong Kong Airmail after the payment is clear. Items will arrive in 11-20 working days. The arrival time depends on some factors and different areas.

2). Customs duty is obligation and liability of a citizen in your country, so buyer should be responsible for any tax and custom duty incurred. Generally, the delay or failure delivery is sometimes caused by the policy of different customs. For example, Laser Pointer is unacceptable in some countries. Therefore, please double check your local customs policy carefully before purchase. Or, we will NOT be responsible for any failure delivery related destination customs issue.

JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Postby JessUK98 » December 8th, 2017, 10:19 am

ReformedCharacter wrote:
I get on well with these 3M masks:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

RC

That's the one I use as well.

Return to “Building and DIY”