Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Painting Car Brake Calipers

Does what it says on the tin
richlist
Lemon Quarter

Painting Car Brake Calipers

Postby richlist » January 11th, 2018, 2:10 pm

My lad want to paint the brake calipers on his car.

We saw a program on TV last week.....I think it was 'Wheeler Dealers Trading Up'......where they masked the surrounding areas and sprayed the calipers in situ. It seemed to work and they looked good.

My concern is that his calipers are plated.....zinc phosphate or something..... so presumably need to be primed first.

Anyone got any tips or advice on the best way to do it ?

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Painting Car Brake Calipers

Postby staffordian » January 11th, 2018, 2:22 pm

I did some a while ago, my SEAT Ibiza had alloy wheels and the unpainted calipers, which with alloys tend to be very visible, let down the appearance of what was then a new car.

I simply removed the front wheels, cleaned the calipers with a wire brush then washed them, and after they were dry, I brush painted the visible parts with one coat of a smooth silver Hammerite paint.

I traded the car in three years later and they still looked fine then, so I wouldn't personally go to the trouble of masking and spraying. I guess it depends on the degree of finish. Mine would not have won any concours prizes, but was more than adequate.

Return to “Building and DIY”