Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Replacement bath

Does what it says on the tin
pacific462

Replacement bath

Postby pacific462 » January 20th, 2018, 7:18 pm

The time has come to replace my old rectangular cast iron bath, and this time I've decided to go for a pressed steel one of the same (very standard) size. I've Googled around, and find there's an enormous range of styles and prices. In fact, I want a very plain one, two tap holes, nothing fancy. I've been to a couple of showrooms so far, but wonder if you have any recommendations for quality or manufacturer. Should I avoid the DIY sheds? I'm willing to pay more if necessary for quality, but don't want stylishness.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Replacement bath

Postby redsturgeon » January 20th, 2018, 7:26 pm

I had one by this company that performed very well for over ten years, when it was ripped out to replace with a shower, a friend took it over and still uses it.

https://www.kaldewei.co.uk/inspiration/ ... el-enamel/

John

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » January 20th, 2018, 7:48 pm

Yes I would also recommend Kaldewei.
We had one fitted in one of our bathrooms 8 years ago.
Seems to have everything you are looking for. Pressed steel, plain, two tap holes and excellent quality.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 22nd, 2018, 7:53 am

See if you can persuade your installer to take the old bath away. Or at least get it downstairs so you can fleabay it. They weigh more than you think!

In fact only the very best cast iron baths are worth anything. Even ball & claw designs will only fetch thirty quid, and ours certainly wasn't that. I broke it up in situ and took it to the tip in my car. In two instalments, because of the weight!

BJ

wilbobob
2 Lemon pips

Postby wilbobob » January 22nd, 2018, 10:14 am

Another recommendation for Kaldewei.
The last time I took out a cast iron bath I put the bits out on the drive to see how long it would take for a ragandbone man to arrive. Took less than two hours.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » January 22nd, 2018, 10:19 am

My local scrap yard pay around £10 on average for a cast iron bath.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » January 22nd, 2018, 11:22 am

FredBloggs wrote:I haven't done this, but I understand the cast iron baths can actually be re-enamelled. Worth considering, perhaps?

I had this done many years ago and the finish was very good. It was sprayed on in situ, it was about £100 but that was thirty years ago.

John

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 22nd, 2018, 12:30 pm

I should have said earlier - if you do decide to break up your old bath, remember that the enamel surface is akin to glass, and it turns to thousands of jagged splinters! Lay an old (and disposable) blanket across the floor, and turn the bath face down, and tape a sheet of plastic over the whole thing. Then put your gloves and safety googles on (and warn the neighbours if necessary),and get busy with a 12 pound hammer. Yes, it's deafening at first, but not for long. You'll be all done in ten minutes.

I once decided to cut up a cast iron bath with an angle grinder. It worked, but the mess was quite incredible. You're cutting a lot of metal there, and for some reason the dust was filthy black . My wife has a photo somewhere of me looking as though I'd just done eleven hours down t'coal mine. Either way, you're in for a marathon sweeping and hoovering session. Enjoy. ;)

BJ

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Postby Gaggsy » January 23rd, 2018, 2:15 pm

Another rec for the Kaldewei Eurowa steel bath.
I work for a developer and our developments have hundreds of these installed with no problems.

As an aside - I replaced two cast iron baths at home about 10 years ago.
One was rectangular and I had to break it up to get it out of the bathroom. Not an easy task. My advice - let someone who knows what they are doing dismantle it and take it away!

The other was a roll top freestanding bath with ball and claw feet. I put it on ebay with a 99p starting price. Unfortunately there were no bidders and the auction ended. I was wondering how I was going to get this to the tip when 2 days later I was contacted by someone who said he'd meant to bid but had missed the end of the auction and how much was I expecting to get for it?
I said, "Well, I was hoping to get £200..."
"Done!" he said, "Can I collect it on the weekend?"
True to his word, he turned up in a borrowed van having driven 100 miles from Gloucester, gave me £200 cash and went away very happy.

You never know what something is worth to someone else. :)

pacific462

Postby pacific462 » February 1st, 2018, 5:13 pm

Thanks to all who recommended the Kaldewei Eurowa bath. The plumber has now installed it, and it went in very easily., and looks good. £105 from the local plumbers merchants, in stock and delivered. The old cast iron one was broken up with a club hammer, and the pieces left in the drive. Within 2 hours, a very polite young man knocked on the door, and asked if he could have it. Sadly, he didn't want the broken tiles that were also there.

Return to “Building and DIY”