Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

mixed circuits in one switch

Does what it says on the tin
anniesdad
Lemon Pip

mixed circuits in one switch

Postby anniesdad » January 23rd, 2018, 11:52 am

Hi,

Does anyone (Chris?) know if I am allowed to have 2 different circuits in operation at one switch?

The hall light is on downstairs lighting circuit. The Outside light is on upstairs lighting circuit. I'd like to bring them both into one 2 gang switch.

Thanks in advance

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: mixed circuits in one switch

Postby bungeejumper » January 23rd, 2018, 1:16 pm

I have similar. The triple switch in my hallway works my hall light (a two-way system with another switch somewhere else), my porch light, and also the outdoor lights beside my garage, which run on a separate circuit-breakered circuit for the garage and shed only.

No, don't ask me exactly how it's wired. It was like that when we moved in 23 years ago, and apart from replacing the light switch and moving it sideways a bit I didn't ask too many questions. Just label all the wires, replace the switch, put back all the wires into the 'oles where they used to come from, and then switch it on and hope for the best. :lol:

It's passed a couple of safety inspections since then, and nobody's been killed yet. Dum spiro spero.

BJ

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Re: mixed circuits in one switch

Postby csearle » January 23rd, 2018, 9:51 pm

anniesdad wrote:Does anyone (Chris?) know if I am allowed to have 2 different circuits in operation at one switch?
You are allowed, yes. This often happens when a landing or hall switch controls a nearby light and also a light on another floor in a 2-way arrangement.

Regards,
Chris

Return to “Building and DIY”