Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Labour costs....

Does what it says on the tin
RedSnapper
2 Lemon pips

Labour costs....

Postby RedSnapper » January 27th, 2018, 11:28 am

Quick query on a small rewiring job (at least it seems relatively small to me, but I am no expert...)

I have a small workshop in which I want to install a ring of 12 double sockets. The workshop has it's own consumer unit which is fine and has capacity. Access is straight forward. The cables will run in surface mounted conduit in a ring around the top of the wall dropped down for each socket. total run is around 12m.

How many days labour would you expect?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Labour costs....

Postby redsturgeon » January 27th, 2018, 11:35 am

CSearle is your expert here but I'd be reluctant to hire any electrician who wanted more than half a day to do this.

Everything surface mounted is a dream.

John

RedSnapper
2 Lemon pips

Postby RedSnapper » January 27th, 2018, 4:23 pm

redsturgeon wrote:CSearle is your expert here but I'd be reluctant to hire any electrician who wanted more than half a day to do this.

John

Thanks John, that's more like what I was expecting, the quote was for three days.

Would certainly be interested ion hearing what CSearle thinks if he has the time to respond. Also interested in whether there any factors that might make it a much longer and more difficult job that I'm missing.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » January 27th, 2018, 4:31 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
I'd be reluctant to hire any electrician who wanted more than half a day to do this.

Wouldn't it take the guy a couple of hours just to get the required items from his usual supplier? Then an hour at the end of the job to tidy everything up and leave the place in a decent condition? Add in an hour for the testing-process at the end and you wouldn't have much left from half a day to do any actual circuit-work...

I think half a day is expecting too much taking the above into account, personally, and I'd perhaps say between a day and a day-and-a-half for this type of surface-mounted work if you're expecting a good, neat job, and a tidy workshop after he's gone.

That said, if he took a day/day-and-a-half and you didn't get that type of result, then I'd be asking questions!

I'd be asking him what he expects to be doing over three days if that's the quoted time....

I agree that he won't have an easier job, with it all being surface-mounted, but I do think half-a-day is expecting too much personally.

I'd also be interested in Chris's take on it, however, as perhaps I'm overestimating myself...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

RedSnapper
2 Lemon pips

Postby RedSnapper » January 27th, 2018, 5:19 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
I'd be reluctant to hire any electrician who wanted more than half a day to do this.

......I'd perhaps say between a day and a day-and-a-half for this type of surface-mounted work if you're expecting a good, neat job, and a tidy workshop after he's gone.

I'd be quite happy with a full day, even a day and a half possibly, just not sure how he gets to 3 days. I'll ask him of course, just interested in others thoughts before I do.

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » January 27th, 2018, 6:58 pm

RedSnapper wrote:I'd be quite happy with a full day, even a day and a half possibly, just not sure how he gets to 3 days. I'll ask him of course, just interested in others thoughts before I do.

Depends on the rate.
£160?
£400?
I don't really want the job rate?

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » January 27th, 2018, 9:28 pm

Seems a bit high to me, but I haven't done any substantial wiring/rewiring since the 1970s (I used to work for my father who was a contractor on a few jobs). I think also that 1/2 a day is a bit low, however.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » January 28th, 2018, 11:07 am

Half a day is definitely too short. I'd estimate a day based on what you've said. The thing though is that if there is lots of stuff to shuffle out the way in order to gain access to the walls then this can delay things tremendously.

I agree that three days is likely to be far too much. Forget that electrician, go for someone else or, if you feel like a bit of a project you can simply do it yourself* - I'm sure we'll be happy to facilitate you with information. :)

Chris
* You'd need to have a few electrical tests done though.

RedSnapper
2 Lemon pips

Postby RedSnapper » January 28th, 2018, 6:32 pm

csearle wrote:Half a day is definitely too short. I'd estimate a day based on what you've said. The thing though is that if there is lots of stuff to shuffle out the way in order to gain access to the walls then this can delay things tremendously.

I agree that three days is likely to be far too much. Forget that electrician, go for someone else or, if you feel like a bit of a project you can simply do it yourself* - I'm sure we'll be happy to facilitate you with information. :)

Chris
* You'd need to have a few electrical tests done though.

Thanks Chris, that's very helpful. I've got someone else coming this week to quote....I'll see what they come up with.

As it happens, in looking more at the existing setup to see how simple it might be for me to do the work I think I've discovered that the two existing double sockets, off which various machinery runs via 4-gang extensions, are simple spurs off the main ring upstairs. I had assumed :( that the two 32amp breakers were one each for the upstairs and downstairs sockets but just one turns the lot off (can't see at the moment what the other 32amp breaker is for). As far as I can see the two downstairs double sockets have just a single cable running to each with no return. Not that this has much bearing on the issue at hand as the plan is for a new dedicated ring anyway, but it highlights the need for the new wiring.

Return to “Building and DIY”