Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Laying Laminate Flooring

Does what it says on the tin
JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Re: Laying Laminate Flooring

Postby JMN2 » March 19th, 2018, 8:09 pm

Finally I can see some light in end of the tunnel, waiting for the carpet tiles and after that I can start doing the living room. Then the finishing touches: wood filler for beading joints, sanding, paint and oak-coloured flexible silicone. Fancy beading trim returns - no way, I have to draw the line somewhere!

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » March 20th, 2018, 8:48 pm

Picked up the carpet tiles today and am already more than halfway laying them - a man obsessed. Handy solution while I'm thinking about a better one, then again, just a few 50cmx50cm tiles and I could not move them by kicking or hoovering them. Can be cut to shape around door jambs with robust scissors. A downside for some might be that they are quite hard and thin under the feet. I will buy a few more to replace old carpet offcuts in the fitted wardrobe and ex-airing cupboards. One day all this will be done and dusted.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » March 27th, 2018, 8:27 am

Top tip: stanley knife's detached blade is a handy tool to evenly and neatly spread and level silicone sealant around door jambs and other larger gaps.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 27th, 2018, 9:22 am

JMN2 wrote:Top tip: stanley knife's detached blade is a handy tool to evenly and neatly spread and level silicone sealant around door jambs and other larger gaps.

Shaped wooden sticks soaked in water is apparently the professional way to do it, with a little squeeze of washing up liquid as a wetting agent.

John

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » March 27th, 2018, 11:12 am

redsturgeon wrote:
JMN2 wrote:Top tip: stanley knife's detached blade is a handy tool to evenly and neatly spread and level silicone sealant around door jambs and other larger gaps.

Shaped wooden sticks soaked in water is apparently the professional way to do it, with a little squeeze of washing up liquid as a wetting agent.

John

Yes, it's a good plasticiser also for (lime) mortar.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » April 5th, 2018, 3:05 pm

I hereby declare the project practically finished, at some stage I will use wood filler and sand paper for the beading joints and mitres, then paint it all white to match the skirting boards.

Came from the shops earlier today, entered the front door and was taken aback for a second. Burglar in the house? Wrong bungalow? No, it was just fresh air sans the old carpets. Might not look very professional around the door jambs but I might find a better product for the gaps but hey, I am not selling, and if I die or win the lottery it hardly matters. If I only wasn't so ham-fisted.

oh yes, did the beading returns for the hallway and living room, didn't bother for the bedrooms.

Return to “Building and DIY”