Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Heating circuit downstairs not on

Does what it says on the tin
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Heating circuit downstairs not on

Postby Clariman » February 4th, 2018, 10:34 am

We have separate heating circuits (or zones or whatever you call them) for upstairs and downstairs. This morning upstairs came on but not downstairs.

Down stairs the thermostat control/timer was calling for heat but the connected Myson Power Extra was off (the operating light was not illuminated). Hence no heat. However I then stopped the thermostat from calling for heat then enabled it to call again. This time the Myson switched on and the heating is on.

Do these things sometimes happen or is it an indication that something is going wrong? Bottom line is - do I just leave it or should I get it checked out?

Central heating system and components are about 11 years old.

Thanks
Clariman

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Re: Heating circuit downstairs not on

Postby csearle » February 4th, 2018, 11:23 am

Clariman wrote:We have separate heating circuits (or zones or whatever you call them) for upstairs and downstairs. This morning upstairs came on but not downstairs.

Down stairs the thermostat control/timer was calling for heat but the connected Myson Power Extra was off (the operating light was not illuminated). Hence no heat. However I then stopped the thermostat from calling for heat then enabled it to call again. This time the Myson switched on and the heating is on.

Do these things sometimes happen or is it an indication that something is going wrong? Bottom line is - do I just leave it or should I get it checked out?

Central heating system and components are about 11 years old.

Thanks
Clariman
Sounds to me like you had a contact sticking in the thermostat. Were I in your situation I would do nothing other than keep an eye on it. If it happens again/regularly then perhaps try swapping out the thermostat - there are cheap ones available.

Regards,
Chris
[Edit: PS These things do sometimes go wrong, not so often though.]

wilbobob
2 Lemon pips

Postby wilbobob » February 4th, 2018, 1:34 pm

If there's a battery in the thermostat it could need changing. Happened here last night, enough charge in the battery to power the display but not enough to pull the contacts in.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » February 4th, 2018, 3:03 pm

if the operating light on the Myson Power Extra wasn't on, the valve may still be receiving the demand for power from the thermostat but not opening sufficiently, and hence the operating light stays off.
Try turning the valve on and off manually with the lever; if the valve itself is sludged up this may help temporarily but if the actuator motor itself is failing it won't.
If you decide it is the actuator, it would be better to buy the whole assembly because - unlike the Honeywell equivalent - the actuator is not much cheaper than the whole caboodle. (You may find it really is the valve and you are left with buying a whole new assembly and having a redundant actuator.)

Return to “Building and DIY”