Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

gas hob installation

Does what it says on the tin
deucetoace

gas hob installation

Postby deucetoace » February 19th, 2018, 12:48 pm

I ordered a new gas hob & when they came to fit it they said it wasn't possible to do so in the place the current one is fitted as it is partially over a washing machine.

Does anyone know if this is correct and if so is there anyway to resolve this issue apart from rearranging the kitchen which I am loathe to do.

Many thanks

deucetoace

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Re: gas hob installation

Postby pochisoldi » February 19th, 2018, 3:44 pm

What does the manual for the gas hob say regarding clearance around the underside of the hob?
Will the washing machine interfere with the gas connection?

If the installers are just being awkward, then turn the job around - instead of making it a "install a hob above a washing machine", change it to a
"install a washing machine under the hob" - pull out the washing machine from the hole, get them to install the hob, then put the washing machine back...

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » February 19th, 2018, 10:28 pm

deucetoace wrote:I ordered a new gas hob & when they came to fit it they said it wasn't possible to do so in the place the current one is fitted as it is partially over a washing machine.

Does anyone know if this is correct and if so is there anyway to resolve this issue apart from rearranging the kitchen which I am loathe to do.

Many thanks

deucetoace

Is it one of the makes of washing machines prone to catching fire?

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/02/re ... nce-fires/

deucetoace

Postby deucetoace » February 20th, 2018, 7:40 pm

The installer was talking generally. It wasn't related to the make of washing machine but he said regulations meant he wasn't allowed to install a hob above any "wet goods".

If I take out the washing machine I guess I might perhaps persuade someone that the large hole under the worktop is coincidental to them installing the hob although given the water connectors to the washing machine would be clear to see I have some doubts.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » February 20th, 2018, 7:52 pm

This random website https://www.houzz.co.uk/ideabooks/49516 ... r-your-hob includes:

Fitting a hob over a washing machine, fridge or freezer is also inadvisable. Over time, heat produced from the hob can badly affect these appliances. ‘There are sometimes a few exceptions, though, so we always advise our customers to consult the manufacturer’s installation guide before fitting,’

Which reinforces the suggestion to look at the gas hob's manual.

There might be more here https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/ but I haven't looked.

Return to “Building and DIY”