Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Any demand for a trip "doon the watter"

Covering meetups anywhere in the UK
OhNoNotimAgain
Lemon Slice

Any demand for a trip "doon the watter"

Postby OhNoNotimAgain » April 5th, 2017, 5:23 pm

The last Clyde Puffer, the VIC 32, is offering day trips down the Clyde for a week in May. Only 2 days are unsold

http://savethepuffer.co.uk/glasgow-day-trips/

and I wondered if there might be enough interest to get a group of 12 from here to take it for day?

I need to declare my interest here as a Trustee of the charity but if any folk are interested in shovelling coal and seeing a proper 2 cylinder compound steam engine working, steering a ship and having great food I can thoroughly recommend it as a day out.

It was featured on Great Canal Journeys recently with Tim West and Prunella Scales traversing the Crinan Canal.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/grea ... /63662-006

Rob

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: Any demand for a trip "doon the watter"

Postby melonfool » April 6th, 2017, 12:29 pm

You might explain a bit more? What is a 'puffer'?

Mel

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » April 6th, 2017, 12:57 pm

The old Puffers, thus named onomatopoeically, used to exhaust steam up inside the funnel. Thus one would get a puff of steam, a puff of smoke and I believe sometimes they would blow smoke rings!

From http://savethepuffer.co.uk/puffer-specifications/

OhNoNotimAgain
Lemon Slice

Postby OhNoNotimAgain » April 6th, 2017, 6:42 pm

The Clyde puffer is a type of small coal-fired and single-masted cargo ship built mainly on the Forth and Clyde canal and which provided a vital supply link around the west coast and Hebrides islands of Scotland. Built between 1856 and 1939, these stumpy little steamboats achieved an almost mythical status thanks largely to the short stories Neil Munro wrote about the Vital Spark and her captain Para Handy, which produced three television series.

Characteristically these boats had bluff bows, crew's quarters with table and cooking stove in the focsle, and a single mast with derrick in front of the large hold, aft of which the funnel and ship's wheel stood above the engine room while the captain had a small cabin in the stern. When publication of the Vital Spark stories began in 1905 the ship's wheel was still in the open, but later a wheelhouse was added aft of the funnel giving the puffers their distinctive image. Their flat bottom allowed them to beach and unload at low tide, essential to supply remote settlements without suitable piers. Typical cargoes could include coal and furniture, with farm produce and gravel sometimes being brought back.

The VIC 32 is the last one in steam and skipper Nick Walker is a modern day Para Handy and the food is fantastic.

It is £980 for the day but split 12 ways it is great value. If requested a 3 course dinner on board is also available.

Rob

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » April 10th, 2017, 8:10 am

Do you have to shovel coal or can you just enjoy the cruise!?

OhNoNotimAgain
Lemon Slice

Postby OhNoNotimAgain » April 10th, 2017, 11:57 am

Clariman wrote:Do you have to shovel coal or can you just enjoy the cruise!?

The cloice is yours. You can shovel coal, take the helm and handle the ropes if you want or just sit back and relax with a glass of something.

I have persuaded the Skipper to take individual bookings rather than get someone to round up 11 like minded souls and book the whole ship.
As long as we can get 6 to 8 people on board it is worth while doing.

What I would love is some industrial archeologist to describe the history of the sites we pass as they are quite iconic. People forget that steam was used for motive power on the water at Greenock before it was used on land in railways.

Rob

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » April 10th, 2017, 7:50 pm

I might be up for it

OhNoNotimAgain
Lemon Slice

Postby OhNoNotimAgain » April 12th, 2017, 4:01 pm

Clariman wrote:I might be up for it

I do hope you can.