Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit Card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to MyNameIsUrl,GSVsowhat,johnstevens77,BusyBumbleBee,88V8, for Donating to support the site

Old

A friendly ear
bungeejumper
Lemon Quarter

Re: Old

Postby bungeejumper » February 10th, 2019, 11:07 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:I recall reading somewhere that 'two sleeps' were normal(ish) behaviour pre 18th century - biphasic sleep ?
Four hours asleep , up for two or three, then another four hours- both during the night though....

Absolutely, in Samuel Pepys's day, as he records, it was considered quite normal to talk about a first and second sleep during the night. People would use the break to eat, drink, read, have sex, and maybe get dressed to go out and visit the neighbours. Not all at the same time, mind you.

I find i'm getting drowsy mid-afternoon, even though I don't have a large lunch (or beer), I think the old biorhythms have a dip around 3am and 3pm

Any alcohol at all in the middle of the day will send me to sleep, and it always has done. But then, all my life I've been infamous for being able to catch a ten minute nap at any time, anywhere at all. When I was in my late thirties (overworked, overpaid yuppie period), I also found that I could drift off and just touch the edge of sleep, then snap back - and feel refreshed for several hours! I subsequently discovered that Buddhist priests spend their lives trying to cultivate that knack.

Ommmmmmmmm…..

BJ

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » February 10th, 2019, 2:08 pm

Age is just a number. Sadly, the wrong number; but as someone else posted, its better than the alternative.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » February 11th, 2019, 10:58 pm

I'm enjoying the experience of being "old". In my mid seventies I can still row a fishing boat, ride a bicycle and drive a car. I can sit up late at night , and get up late in the morning. I have three lovely grandchildren with whom I have enjoyable holidays. And I have a wife who looks after me, and have no financial worries. Its probably the most enjoyable period of my life, and long may it continue. Both my father and grandfather (who's names I share) lasted until 95, and I would like to beat their records.

Return to “Comfort Cafe”