Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Travel costs for hospital visits

A friendly ear
GarraGee
2 Lemon pips

Travel costs for hospital visits

Postby GarraGee » April 29th, 2019, 12:38 pm

A v.good friend is having a series of hospital tests to investigate possible cancer issues.

This will involve numerous hospital visits and, because of where they live, the public transport issues are quite daunting, on top of the potential results of various tests he is undergoing.

I just wonder if there is a charity that can help in such situations?

From my own experience in caring for my partner, I remember the Macmillan nurses providing all sorts of support?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

GG

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: Travel costs for hospital visits

Postby kiloran » April 29th, 2019, 12:54 pm

Check with your local hospice.

I'm a volunteer driver for our hospice, taking patients to hospital for consultations or treatment. It's a free service. Referrals are via the patient's GP or Macmillan nurse, though the rules may vary by hospice.

--kiloran

AndyPandy
Lemon Slice

Postby AndyPandy » April 29th, 2019, 8:02 pm

Similar to what Kiloran is saying. There are various location-based volunteer car driver schemes. They act as a taxi service, but the drivers are volunteers in their own car and you only pay fuel costs. A lot cheaper than taxi options and also door-to-door, with the drivers often knowing where the specific departments are and therefore where best to drop off/pick up.

Get your friend to enquire at the hospital. They will know of any such local service as they quite often can provide parking permits for the drivers. Clearly there may be more than one as a hospital will be in the catchment area of several, but, again, they can advise.

GarraGee
2 Lemon pips

Postby GarraGee » April 29th, 2019, 9:47 pm

Very grateful for your input.

I've passed the info to my friend.

GG

Return to “Comfort Cafe”