Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Coronavirus worries and anxieties - CC open for business

A friendly ear
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Coronavirus worries and anxieties - CC open for business

Postby Clariman » March 17th, 2020, 1:23 pm

Just a note to say that Comfort Cafe is open for business. If you are worried or anxious, other folk here will do their best to listen and support - without judgement. It is an anxious time for all.

All the best and stay safe.

Clariman

didds
Lemon Half

Re: Coronavirus worries and anxieties - CC open for business

Postby didds » March 17th, 2020, 2:34 pm

I am fearful - though not si much of CV itself although I am a preipheral vulnerable person (diabetes) and my wife is frontline NHS staff but for the overall impact on society - businesses collapsing, job losses, impacts on town/village/city centres, the rise (even more?) of xenopophobic and "protectionist" approaches.

At the risk of probably seemingly over reacting is this what September 1939 felt like? Lack of leadership, what-happens-next, feeling?

didds

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » March 17th, 2020, 5:00 pm

Feeling fearful is a logical response to the current situation. Anyone who is unconcerned hasn't realised the gravity of the situation.

The ramifications are unknown and probably unknowable even to the Government and their advisors. In the end we will get through it, maybe not all of us but most. We will find a way of picking up the pieces and moving forward. Society might change in some unpredictable way but it will continue.

Hopefully we will be a more compassionate society after this and realise it is a connected world. No country can be isolationist when events in one part of the world can spread around the globe so quickly.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » March 17th, 2020, 8:11 pm

didds wrote:At the risk of probably seemingly over reacting is this what September 1939 felt like? Lack of leadership, what-happens-next, feeling?
didds

Firstly and most importantly, well done Clariman for opening this thread.

Secondly and without wishing to divert from its objective, I think the leadership by the PM, the NHS, and latterly the Chancellor, has been spot on.

In terms of worries, one cohort of the population I worry about are the 20 to 35s establishing themselves in their chosen careers, who may find themselves unexpectedly laid off as delivery projects get curtailed or canned, and employers are forced to cut costs. I also worry about civil unrest in the event that people can't feed their families. Clashes with the police soon escalate and in the age of instant communications, copy-cat situations quickly follow.

So whilst the overriding worry may be to the health of mainly older citizens, it's certainly bad news across the board.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » March 17th, 2020, 9:16 pm

Hi All

I'm happy for this topic to be broad as an introductory one.

However, Fools should feel free to start their own topics about what their personal fears, worries and experiences are. Comfort Cafe is primarily about those personal worries, although many of these may be shared.

Clariman

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » March 18th, 2020, 9:15 am

BrummieDave wrote:
Secondly and without wishing to divert from its objective, I think the leadership by the PM, the NHS, and latterly the Chancellor, has been spot on.

Ive many friends in the hospiatlity industry, and including my son. The fear there is very great that businesses will not survice, and in this regared at the time I wrote the above they had been - to use one friend's own phrase - thrown under a bus. Their fear now seems to be that these business loans etc metnioned will be impossible to get or will arrive too late.

One step that may have been more hgelpful is a system to underpin LANDLORDS so that small business isnt left trying to pay rent on premises when there is no income.

Meanwhile - stay safe everybody, and doi what you can wrt yourself and local small bhisinesses ... if yoiu want them to survice of course!

didds

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » March 18th, 2020, 1:08 pm

BrummieDave wrote:In terms of worries, one cohort of the population I worry about are the 20 to 35s establishing themselves in their chosen careers, who may find themselves unexpectedly laid off as delivery projects get curtailed or canned, and employers are forced to cut costs.
Yes my son is on the brink of committing to training as an airline pilot. He has already invested quite a lot into this ambition and is now fearful that there will be an abundance of unneeded pilots by the time get through it all.

I have suggested he just carry on as no-one yet knows how things will be in a few years time.

C.

Return to “Comfort Cafe”