Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

CV - Personal perspective

A friendly ear
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

CV - Personal perspective

Postby Clariman » March 21st, 2020, 1:40 pm

First of all, I am fine, so no need to be concerned but sometimes I like to get something off my chest or to share feelings.

The main impact on us has been that we can not visit Master C and his family, so we are missing our weekly day of having our grandson to ourselves. It has been such a joy and privilege to play that part in his life and it has now been suspended for goodness knows how long. However, Facetime has been a second best and we've had some great fun making little funny video clips to send him. These have given Master C a glimpse of how daft we must be when we look after Grandson C. :lol:

Master C and DIL-C work in the health sector, but their work has been suspended, but they may be moved onto other work which would put them in contact with those suffering CV. This of course would be a worry and is one of the reasons we are not visiting. My MIL is in her 90s and Mrs C does her shopping for her. So the potential link from CV sufferer to MIL is potentially quite short. Master C currently has a cough so they are self-isolating anyway at the moment, but he has not been feverish. Probably another bug but they can't be too careful.

In terms of how we feel about the whole thing. We are very lucky that Mrs C and I get on very well (sure we have arguments sometimes) and the prospect of being trapped in together in a decent sized house with a garden is not a worry. One thing spooked me earlier this week was when it dawned on my that my mild asthma puts me into a more vulnerable group too. To be honest, I am not sure how vulnerable it makes me but it is a worry I'd rather not have. I say this, in the knowledge that I am far luckier than many who are much older and have more serious conditions. However, it has meant I had to take myself of a list of people offering to help in the local community, which felt like something positive I could be doing in these difficult times.

The main thing that brings both our spirits down is watching the news. We are both news-junkies so tend to watch is first thing in the morning, last thing at night and quite often during the day. This is no good for one's sanity during these times. The Sky News report from an Italian hospital was particularly distressing to see last night. I also find the arguments against the Government's CV plans difficult because they cause doubt and anxiety that those with the power are looking after us as best they can. I find that hard because I like debate but at times like this it is unsettling when it is out in the public. And they are not something that we can have an impact on - so what purpose do they serve in themselves. And that brings me to what I think is the most unsettling for all of us - the element of the unknown and uncertainty, combined with a limited capability to make an impact on what this virus is going to do or on government policy.

However, what we can all do is to protect ourselves and others, is to take social distancing very seriously. That doesn't just apply to those in risk groups but should apply to everyone.

Footnote. I genuinely do consider that Mrs C and I are very fortunate. We don't have any money or employment worries, are pretty fit (asthma and weight apart on my account) and have the space to self isolate if we have to. We also live in a village where we can go out for a 30 minute walk while still being socially distanced. We are lucky.

Take care everyone and do the right thing!

Clariman

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Re: CV - Personal perspective

Postby BrummieDave » March 21st, 2020, 6:30 pm

Good post, and I hope typing it all out had the intended cathartic outcome.

Re. one of your points, the news, I stopped watching it on TV as a matter of course a couple of years ago. When I want to know what's happening, I go and seek an update from where I want to read/listen to it, depending on what the subject matter is. Occasionally this is the TV, but only once or twice a week usually. There's lots of other sources, and getting informed when you want, from where you want, is pretty effective IMHO.

Now I'm not suggesting you necessarily follow this approach, but what I do know is that the news media will always fill the available time with content, and for the next few months this will mainly be very depressing, and likely also distressing. My MIL and FIL watch it all day. If they continue to do so, it will upset them greatly I think. When there is any good news about CV19, we'll all hear it loud and clear, so no need to watch the news channels all day for the next few months to make sure we don't miss that.

That may be a useful perspective on one of your points but regardless, thanks for sharing everything that you did. And best wishes!

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Re: CV - Personal perspective

Postby Clariman » April 8th, 2020, 1:35 pm

We are doing fine, but I still do get spooked by the news. As I mentioned before, my mild asthma concerns me, but adding to that are the reports that being obese and male are two other factors that have come out of China and I think Italy. I can't change being male and there is no way that I can get myself non-obese during lockdown, so that does make me scared of catching Covid-19.

I'm not losing sleep over it and we are enjoying our daily walk and other activities, but are absolutely minimising any contact. Mrs C is more worried about her mum who is in her 90s and I am concerned for her too. Being careful for her means we are being careful for us too. If we were to catch it, it would most likely come from one of MIL's carers to MIL to Mrs C. Hopefully that won't happen. We had considered moving her in with us and reducing that risk to her, but if we then fall ill then there is little or no back-up.

Best not to dwell on it really. If it happens, it happens. All we can do is to minimise contact and the risk. I just hope we can all emerge from this at some point and feel comfortable, safe and happy in the company of others. Human beings are social animals.

Take care everyone
C

Return to “Comfort Cafe”