Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

11 Nov ( every year). A Day Of Remembrance.

A friendly ear
idpickering
The full Lemon

11 Nov ( every year). A Day Of Remembrance.

Postby idpickering » November 11th, 2022, 9:39 am

On this day, let's thank our lucky stars that before us, brave men and women laid down their lives for us all.

At 1100hrs today I will be stood to attention, wearing my poppy with pride, sparing a thought for all who fell in all the conflicts that our brave soldiers, airmen and sailors were involved.

I'm proud to have served myself in The British Army for many years. Some days were great, some not so, but I will never forget my comrades, some of whom are no longer with us sadly. You all have my utmost respect. RIP the fallen.

Ian.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Re: 11 Nov ( every year). A Day Of Remembrance.

Postby Gerry557 » November 11th, 2022, 10:21 am

Thank you for your service.

It will be a quiet moment for me today but thinking of meeting up with some friends at the weekend and for a beer afterwards.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 11th, 2022, 11:28 am

Gerry557 wrote:Thank you for your service.

It will be a quiet moment for me today but thinking of meeting up with some friends at the weekend and for a beer afterwards.

Thanks for your support and kind words.

Tomorrow, I will be attending the Memorial Service at 1100hrs on the island where we now live up in Orkney. The service is normally well attended, which is nice to see. My daughter, who lives elsewhere here with her family, who started a brownie troop here, will be in attendance with the girls, three of whom are my granddaughters, which will be lovely.

Thanks to those that have supported my opening post too.

All the best to you. Have a drink on me.

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 11th, 2022, 4:48 pm

My apologises. the service is on Sunday, not tomorrow as I said above. I must've had a senior moment! lol

Ian.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 12th, 2022, 8:39 am

idpickering wrote:On this day, let's thank our lucky stars that before us, brave men and women laid down their lives for us all.

At 1100hrs today I will be stood to attention, wearing my poppy with pride, sparing a thought for all who fell in all the conflicts that our brave soldiers, airmen and sailors were involved.

I'm proud to have served myself in The British Army for many years. Some days were great, some not so, but I will never forget my comrades, some of whom are no longer with us sadly. You all have my utmost respect. RIP the fallen.

Ian.

After my Mum died last December I did a little work on the family tree. I found a photograph of a headstone in Ypres, Belgium. Mum's Great Uncle was killed in action in January 2016.

Three of his brothers were wounded in action and retired, because of their wounds, from the army.

Tomorrow my 15 year old daughter will march in the local remembrance parade & service as a police cadet. Two of her friends are going to watch and her proud Mum and Dad will be there too.

Lest we forget

Take care

AiY(D)

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 12th, 2022, 9:21 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:After my Mum died last December I did a little work on the family tree. I found a photograph of a headstone in Ypres, Belgium. Mum's Great Uncle was killed in action in January 2016.

Three of his brothers were wounded in action and retired, because of their wounds, from the army.

Tomorrow my 15 year old daughter will march in the local remembrance parade & service as a police cadet. Two of her friends are going to watch and her proud Mum and Dad will be there too.

Lest we forget

Take care

AiY(D)

Thanks very much for your post. Sorry for your families loss. Our family got lucky in that regard with no losses or injuries.

I was a police cadet in Sussex in the early 80s, then a constable in Hastings before joining The Army. Well done to your daughter. None of my three offspring joined the forces. When I left in 94 I was diagnosed with severe PTSD, and was in a poor state for a long time. It never goes away, but nowadays I’m calmer. I guess living up here might help in that regard. We’ve lived here six years now.

All the best to you all.

Ian.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 12th, 2022, 10:16 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:After my Mum died last December I did a little work on the family tree. I found a photograph of a headstone in Ypres, Belgium. Mum's Great Uncle was killed in action in January 2016.

Lest we forget

Take care

AiY(D)
idpickering wrote:
Thanks very much for your post. Sorry for your families loss. Our family got lucky in that regard with no losses or injuries.

I was a police cadet in Sussex in the early 80s, then a constable in Hastings before joining The Army. Well done to your daughter. None of my three offspring joined the forces. When I left in 94 I was diagnosed with severe PTSD, and was in a poor state for a long time. It never goes away, but nowadays I’m calmer. I guess living up here might help in that regard. We’ve lived here six years now.

All the best to you all.

Ian.

On behalf of a grateful nation, and of course my family and me, thank you for your service. "Stay calm" and carry on with the information you very kindly provide on TLF :) .

Take care

Darrell

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 12th, 2022, 10:32 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:On behalf of a grateful nation, and of course my family and me, thank you for your service. "Stay calm" and carry on with the information you very kindly provide on TLF :) .

Take care

Darrell

Thanks for your post Darrell and your kind comments.

As for staying calm, the isolation hereabouts is good for me I think.

The bottom line though is that throughout my service I wasn’t alone. My comrades had my back as I did theirs in return. I do miss the comradeship to be honest. Also, my wife was always there for me in the background. They’re a special breed forces spouses.

Ta for your comment re TLF. I get that some don’t like what I do sometimes, but all I’m trying to do is help people keep up to date with the news re their holdings, and hopefully encourage some chat, in turn which is good I think.

Have a good day and keep safe.

All the best,

Ian.

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Postby Bminusrob » November 12th, 2022, 7:15 pm

I am sometimes less than happy about our schools, but I am very pleased to say that the ones I have been involved with are very respectful of Remembrance Day, and hold two minutes of silence at 11:00, teaching our next generation about the sacrifices made for all of us.

Thank you to all our servicemen and ex-servicemen, and thank you to our schools for the respect they pay.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 13th, 2022, 4:01 am

Bminusrob wrote:I am sometimes less than happy about our schools, but I am very pleased to say that the ones I have been involved with are very respectful of Remembrance Day, and hold two minutes of silence at 11:00, teaching our next generation about the sacrifices made for all of us.

Thank you to all our servicemen and ex-servicemen, and thank you to our schools for the respect they pay.

Well sad, and thank you for your offering to this thread. I agree with what you’re saying too.

RIP the fallen. Never forgotten.

Regards,

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 13th, 2022, 12:51 pm

Well I must say that was a very humbling and surreal experience. The service on our island was very well attended, with about 70 or so people there. There’s only a couple of hundred who live here. I had the honour of laying the main wreath. Also in attendance were the locals who also carry out the tasks of providing police cover, the fire and ambulance services too, along with life guarding/ RNLI, and medical cover too.

We all mingled after the moving service and had a good natter, then thinned out going our separate ways. A humbling experience indeed.

Can I just say thank you to all of whom chipped into this interesting thread, or showed their support by other means. Thank you.

All the best, and keep safe.

Ian.

Return to “Comfort Cafe”