Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Aur BnB

A friendly ear
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Aur BnB

Postby Arborbridge » July 17th, 2023, 7:31 pm

I've just booked a couple of days in a place in Devon.

It all looks fine, payment went through and I received the address etc. Checking out the street view of the address I don't find any building which looks like the one featured on Air BnB - have I been conned? It's just possible that a photograph taken from a different place which street view cannot access might clear matter up, but it's difficult to see how.

I'm an Air BnB virgin, BTW, and totally ignorant about this thing and how it works.

Any comforting words, or might I turn up and find there is no such place and then have an emergency finding a hotel or sleep in the car?

PS I tried to phone the owner and it goes to answer phone - not a good sign.

Arb.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Aur BnB

Postby Lootman » July 17th, 2023, 7:36 pm

The one Airbnb place I know in Devon is a barn conversion around the back of the property whose address it shares. So that is not necessarily a problem. Is it in Dartmoor by any chance?

Airbnb are pretty good about fixing problems. Does the place have references and ratings?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 17th, 2023, 7:42 pm

I solve the potential problem by staying in a place that will welcome me, have food available and give me a bed for the night, usually called an hotel. Otherwise I rent a cottage or something. Airbnb has not got a very good reputation in my part of the world.

Dod

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » July 17th, 2023, 8:37 pm

Arborbridge wrote:I've just booked a couple of days in a place in Devon. Checking out the street view of the address I don't find any building which looks like the one featured on Air BnB - have I been conned?

Years ago, pre-Street View, we booked a week in northern Madeira on the basis of the owner's pics of the lovely view... only to find on arrival that the view was now occupied by a large block of Social Housing that clearly had been there for years.

Questioned about this, the owner said he thought people might like to see how it used to look :x

If your Devon booking is a bust, I recommend the Northcote Manor near Burrington where we just had four nights for the wife's birthday.
Perhaps a bit dearer than an Air BnB, but the manager does have an EV.

V8

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 17th, 2023, 8:42 pm

88V8 wrote:If your Devon booking is a bust, I recommend the Northcote Manor near Burrington where we just had four nights for the wife's birthday.
Perhaps a bit dearer than an Air BnB, but the manager does have an EV.

Yes, also in Devon: Bovey Castle near Chagford in Dartmoor and Salcombe Harbour Hotel and Spa.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 17th, 2023, 9:00 pm

Thanks for all the comfort....

I'm feeling slightly better now because a) I've had a reply from the owner and b) I've managed to work out from street view where the building is and why it's nothing like one expects from the owner's picture. It's up a narrow alley so you cannot actually see it properly.

And Dod - I wouldn't normally touch Air BnB one principle (though I am not sure which principle!) but I rather pay a bit more and stay in a hotel - even a cheap one. However, my wife found this and seemed keen so I thought I would give it a go.

In my naivety, I forgot to do the obvious simple check on reviews - now I see it's a newly converted property with no reviews.

Oh dear. Wish me luck!

The irony is, that normally I would stay with my son which is why I am going to Devon, but he has a full house with returning family and so we've been bounced out! I suppose if it's a disaster, I can always sleep in his shed.

Arb.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » July 17th, 2023, 9:50 pm

I've stayed in nearly 100 AirBnBs, and had bad experiences twice.

Return to “Comfort Cafe”