Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

One of the Worst Periods of my Life

A friendly ear
WickedLester
Lemon Slice

One of the Worst Periods of my Life

Postby WickedLester » February 24th, 2024, 5:14 pm

I won't go into all the details, because I can't really recall them, but it ended up with me locked in a cell on the psychiatric wing of Pentonville prison not understanding if I'd be ever let out or what I was even doing there.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Re: One of the Worst Periods of my Life

Postby Tedx » February 24th, 2024, 5:25 pm

Oooh I do believe that's clickbait :D

In you own time please.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » February 24th, 2024, 6:24 pm

WickedLester wrote:I won't go into all the details, because I can't really recall them, but it ended up with me locked in a cell on the psychiatric wing of Pentonville prison not understanding if I'd be ever let out or what I was even doing there.

Were you delivering lunch to the inmates?

V8

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » February 24th, 2024, 6:40 pm

Oh that was you was it? With the ginger hair, right?

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » February 24th, 2024, 6:53 pm

88V8 wrote:
WickedLester wrote:I won't go into all the details, because I can't really recall them, but it ended up with me locked in a cell on the psychiatric wing of Pentonville prison not understanding if I'd be ever let out or what I was even doing there.

Were you delivering lunch to the inmates?

V8

Might explain the one star Google Review.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » February 25th, 2024, 6:56 pm

Not joking, honestly! I don't know if you have ever written stories or done a course on Creative Writing, but that is an excellent opening for a bestseller! You get the reader hooked from the first sentence. ;)

Steve

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » February 25th, 2024, 7:19 pm

stevensfo wrote:

Not joking, honestly! I don't know if you have ever written stories or done a course on Creative Writing, but that is an excellent opening for a bestseller! You get the reader hooked from the first sentence. ;)

I can see how that might happen. In my youth I ended up one night in a police cell, with no recollection of the events leading up to it. Drunk of course. Turned out it was "for my own safety", which is also the justification for sectioning people.

I was released in the morning, no charges. But it is scary waking up in a strange place, clearly locked in, no wallet, keys or phone, and with no idea how you got there or what you did to warrant that.

All that said, it was in my youth. If it happened now that would be much more scary.

the0ni0nking
Lemon Slice

Postby the0ni0nking » February 25th, 2024, 7:24 pm

Lootman wrote:
In my youth I ended up one night in a police cell, with no recollection of the events leading up to it. Drunk of course. Turned out it was "for my own safety", which is the justification for sectioning people.

I was released in the morning, no charges. But it is scary waking up in a strange place, clearly locked in, no wallet, keys or phone, and with no idea how you got there or what you did to warrant that.

All that said, it was in my youth. If it happened now that would be much more scary.

I'm guessing this was before any possible CCTV evidence could be shown to you so as to explain the actions of the emergency services.

I've never ended up in a police cell, I have once woken up sat on a sun lounger at about 6.30am on my back terrace in Spain with a pint of wine on the side table and all the doors in my house open with my only recollection been at a pub about 7 hours earlier. Apparently, I was great company. My head told me it didn't enjoy that period!!!!

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » February 26th, 2024, 6:57 am

Sympathy. My wife's complained of pretty bad periods over the years but they never landed her in a psych ward.

GS

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » February 26th, 2024, 7:36 am

Moderator Message:
Please remember the purpose of this board is to listen and support.

WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Postby WickedLester » February 27th, 2024, 2:39 pm

For what it's worth, I've decided to start a blog to write down my thoughts on this topic and a whole host of other topics that are of interest to me. I've been a fairly voracious consumer of media since before the start of the internet and even more so since and over the years have been the creator of quite a lot of unpaid content.

Now that I am at an interesting possible crossroads in my life I would like to see whether other people are also interested in reading about my thoughts, interests and discoveries or not (and if so whether I can make a bob or two on the side).

For what it's worth the blog is at Blogger.com, it's called summink and my username is Arthur Lame Stocks.

There's no content on there at the moment but I hope to make the inaugural post today.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » February 27th, 2024, 4:38 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
Moderator Message:
Please remember the purpose of this board is to listen and support.

Well.

You're right some of the replies were not really warm and supportive.
But I'm a massive cynic too

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » February 27th, 2024, 7:08 pm

WickedLester wrote:For what it's worth, I've decided to start a blog to write down my thoughts on this topic and a whole host of other topics that are of interest to me. I've been a fairly voracious consumer of media since before the start of the internet and even more so since and over the years have been the creator of quite a lot of unpaid content.

Now that I am at an interesting possible crossroads in my life I would like to see whether other people are also interested in reading about my thoughts, interests and discoveries or not (and if so whether I can make a bob or two on the side).

For what it's worth the blog is at Blogger.com, it's called summink and my username is Arthur Lame Stocks.

There's no content on there at the moment but I hope to make the inaugural post today.

Would that be here then? https://summink.blogspot.com/2024/02/ho ... is-it.html
Good start! Saved as a favourite.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » February 27th, 2024, 7:17 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:
WickedLester wrote:For what it's worth, I've decided to start a blog to write down my thoughts on this topic and a whole host of other topics that are of interest to me. I've been a fairly voracious consumer of media since before the start of the internet and even more so since and over the years have been the creator of quite a lot of unpaid content.

Would that be here then? https://summink.blogspot.com/2024/02/ho ... is-it.html

Good start! Saved as a favourite.

I don't know, I was hoping for something that wallowed in maudlin self-indulgence a bit more. :D

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » March 3rd, 2024, 7:16 pm

Can the OP not post this somewhere on Lemonfool? Speaking for myself, I'm not very likely to keep trudging over to some other website to read it. I thought it was quite well written and I was mildly intrigued, but let's be honest, there's a lot of content out there. So indulge us with some cut and paste please.

WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Postby WickedLester » March 4th, 2024, 4:04 pm

MrFoolish wrote:Can the OP not post this somewhere on Lemonfool? Speaking for myself, I'm not very likely to keep trudging over to some other website to read it. I thought it was quite well written and I was mildly intrigued, but let's be honest, there's a lot of content out there. So indulge us with some cut and paste please.

I read this post with interest because it got me thinking about a book I partially read during the crisis both of which I am still going through.

It is called 'The Tyranny of Words' and for me the salient point of the book was that two people could essentially be making the same point, or using the same words and end up at polar opposite ends of the problem, whatever it is.

For example had you simply posted "Can the OP not post this somewhere on Lemonfool?" I could have read that statement in two ways, the exact opposite of each other. To me it could have meant "Please do post your blog entries on Lemonfool" or alternatively "Please don''t"

To my mind both interpretations are grammatically and semantically correct.

But you expanded on the statement and I took it to mean that you actually are interested in reading my blog posts. If that is the wrong interpretation would you please do me the honour of explaining?

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » March 4th, 2024, 4:43 pm

WickedLester wrote:But you expanded on the statement and I took it to mean that you actually are interested in reading my blog posts. If that is the wrong interpretation would you please do me the honour of explaining?

Yes, I was encouraging you to post your tales here on Lemonfool. I can see my wording was ambiguous.

I don't know how this would work in the context of a discussion board - I suppose it would generate responses and comments from others. Maybe you'd want this, maybe you wouldn't. I'm not even sure which board you would use. But I'd give it a go reading it.

Just my 2p worth.

WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Postby WickedLester » March 4th, 2024, 5:01 pm

Mr Foolish

Thank you for being so kind, I have, however, decided not to post them on Lemon Fool because I'd either have to have my own room or my thoughts may end up becoming so off topic and diverse that the thread is closed down by the mods.

I like The Lemon Fool and enjoy discussions, imo there are some really sharp minds here and I don't want to clog the site up.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » March 4th, 2024, 5:32 pm

WickedLester wrote:
MrFoolish wrote:Can the OP not post this somewhere on Lemonfool? Speaking for myself, I'm not very likely to keep trudging over to some other website to read it. I thought it was quite well written and I was mildly intrigued, but let's be honest, there's a lot of content out there. So indulge us with some cut and paste please.

I read this post with interest because it got me thinking about a book I partially read during the crisis both of which I am still going through.

It is called 'The Tyranny of Words' and for me the salient point of the book was that two people could essentially be making the same point, or using the same words and end up at polar opposite ends of the problem, whatever it is.

For example had you simply posted "Can the OP not post this somewhere on Lemonfool?" I could have read that statement in two ways, the exact opposite of each other. To me it could have meant "Please do post your blog entries on Lemonfool" or alternatively "Please don''t"

To my mind both interpretations are grammatically and semantically correct.

But you expanded on the statement and I took it to mean that you actually are interested in reading my blog posts. If that is the wrong interpretation would you please do me the honour of explaining?

You are correct that both interpretations of MrFoolish's comment are valid. So then I wondered why I hadn't noticed the dichotomy myself when I first read it.

It's the question mark, making the sentence a question: "why can't you post your blog entries here?",

Without it, the sentence becomes a command: "don't post your blog entries here".

As this is a common form of sentence construction I wondered why it's not been a problem before. A moment's thought made me realise that we're missing the cadence of the sentence when it is spoken - which reveals the speaker's intent.

Watis

WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Postby WickedLester » March 4th, 2024, 5:48 pm

You are correct that both interpretations of MrFoolish's comment are valid. So then I wondered why I hadn't noticed the dichotomy myself when I first read it.

It's the question mark, making the sentence a question: "why can't you post your blog entries here?",

Without it, the sentence becomes a command: "don't post your blog entries here".

As this is a common form of sentence construction I wondered why it's not been a problem before. A moment's thought made me realise that we're missing the cadence of the sentence when it is spoken - which reveals the speaker's intent.

Watis

Thanks for a thought provoking post Watis.

It seems to me that with a full stop the sentence becomes a command to stop posting, and with a question mark either interpretation may be correct.

As regards the cadence in the spoken conversation, that would depend on the intonation in the voice and bodily and facial cues and possibly a myriad of other things, pheromones etc.

Return to “Comfort Cafe”