Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Cheques from HMRC

Startups, marketing and more
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Cheques from HMRC

Postby bungeejumper » June 20th, 2018, 1:00 pm

No, don't let your imagination run away with you, I haven't discovered a way to turn on the Treasury's magic money taps. :P

Simply that, for the last couple of quarters, I've been getting VAT rebates which arrive in the form of a dead-trees cheque in the post, and I'd rather that the money was simply electronically transferred into my bank account. Which is certainly the way that I pay my remittances in the opposite direction to HMRC!

I've logged in and looked, but I can't find out how to do this. Any suggestions?

BJ

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Cheques from HMRC

Postby PinkDalek » June 20th, 2018, 1:29 pm

Does "How your VAT refund is repaid" https://www.gov.uk/reclaim-vat assist?

You need to give your account details to HMRC - even if you’ve already set up a direct debit for VAT Returns. Add or change them by going to the registration details in your VAT online account.

We are no longer VAT registered so I can't look at https://www.access.tax.service.gov.uk/l ... gnin/creds

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 20th, 2018, 8:10 pm

bungeejumper wrote: ...

Simply that, for the last couple of quarters, I've been getting VAT rebates which arrive in the form of a dead-trees cheque in the post, and I'd rather that the money was simply electronically transferred into my bank account. Which is certainly the way that I pay my remittances in the opposite direction to HMRC!

I've logged in and looked, but I can't find out how to do this. Any suggestions?

I've also found this, which seems to support what I replied earlier:

In brief, the way to receive repayments electronically is as follows: ...

VAT – bank details should be entered via the VAT online service or can be provided in writing.

https://ion.icaew.com/taxfaculty/b/webl ... repayments

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » June 25th, 2018, 3:53 pm

I recently got a corporation tax rebate by cheque, a year after my accountant told me she had arranged for them to send it electronically - I had been looking out for it and wondering when it would appear.

But - be careful what you wish for. About five years ago (need to check exactly when it happened) I was due c£1,300 rebate and HMRC transferred it to my bank. About a month later I received a cheque for the same amount.

I wasn't really sure what to do, but I felt if the cheque wasn't cashed it would have kept showing up on their system. Also if I sent it back it would never get to the right department and the same would keep happening. So, I decided to cash the cheque and send them the money back.

Except, they have never ever been able to explain to me how to do that. Every tax return my accountant asks them 'how does she pay this money back? - every year I have had either a rebate or more to pay and never has that taken account of the £1,300. I asked them on the phone once and they said they could 'see' the overpayment on their system but it was in a different area and would 'eventually' link up with my main account.

For years I kept it in a normal savings account off my current account but this last tax year I put it in my cash ISA as I've not had much cash savings recently.

If they ask for it now, considering I've offered it at least three times, I will claim estoppel! But it's been a real pain!

Mel

Return to “Running a Business”