Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Royal Mail - New Charge

Startups, marketing and more
bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Royal Mail - New Charge

Postby bruncher » July 19th, 2023, 9:13 pm

I post quite a few items that I sell online. For low value items I usually just weigh, put stamps on, and drop into a post box. Higher value I tend to use the 48 Hours Scanned Delivery Service (which you can only purchase online). Annoying that Royal Mail have introduced a new charge for this service: if you declare that you will be taking your letters/parcels to a post office they now charge extra. It was 16 pence for a small parcel under 500g, I don't know if it's a flat rate charge. OK 16 pence is peanuts but it adds up if your margins are slight.

I sometimes get a proof of posting at the PO for a regular item i.e. 1st or 2nd class. I wonder how long that will remain a free service.

Does anyone rely on a different carrier for large letters and small parcels, that is similar price or less than Royal Mail, and reliable?

AJC5001
Lemon Slice

Re: Royal Mail - New Charge

Postby AJC5001 » July 19th, 2023, 9:54 pm

bruncher wrote:Annoying that Royal Mail have introduced a new charge for this service: if you declare that you will be taking your letters/parcels to a post office they now charge extra. It was 16 pence for a small parcel under 500g, I don't know if it's a flat rate charge. OK 16 pence is peanuts but it adds up if your margins are slight.

Getting Royal Mail to collect your parcel would seem to save the 16p -
"What postage do I pay?

Tracked parcels booked via Parcel Collect, a Parcel Box or Pillar Box or a Customer Service Point attract a 16p reduction in the postage price. Tracked Parcels that are booked to be dropped off at Post Office branch will attract the full postage price.

If the Tracked parcel(s) is not collected, you can rebook a collection for the following day. However if you take it to a Post Office branch after you receive confirmation that the collection will not take place, you will not pay the full postage price."
https://www.royalmail.com/collection

Adrian

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » July 19th, 2023, 9:58 pm

Getting Royal Mail to collect your parcel would seem to save the 16p -

Which is fine if you are happy to be in during the four-hour collection window.

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » July 20th, 2023, 12:50 pm

The great #shitification of services continues apace. I show up at my Royal Mail Delivery Office today to discover that they've restricted services to just two hours a day 8 - 10, and 8 - 12 on Saturday. Christmas is going to be fun.

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » October 11th, 2023, 12:45 pm

Clearly the Post Office has also had enough of Royal Mail. The Post Office now offers a parcel service from their website which used Evri and DPD. Sad to see the unravelling of a national integrated service.

Return to “Running a Business”