Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Bewildered by HMRC

Practical Issues
Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Bewildered by HMRC

Postby Dicky99 » August 16th, 2023, 12:26 pm

Background is that I quit work in March 2021 and have had no employment income since.

In June 2021 I cashed in a small pension and because that meant I had a £2k tax overpayment I completed a SA in April 2022. Because the repayment didn't arrive months later I ended up having to call HMRC to chase it up. When I got to speak to someone she said quite tersely that I shouldn't have done a SA because I hadn't been requested to. Not long after that I received a letter, presumably connected to our discussion, indicating that I no longer need to submit a SA tax return.

In 2022/23 I cashed in another very small pension and last week I received the tax rebate of slightly over £200.00

Yesterday I received a letter from HMRC stating "We've set up a Self Assessment record and created a Unique Tax Payer Reference for you because:
- You contacted us to register for self assessment
(I certainly didn't do this)
- your circumstances mean you need to complete a tax return ( but I don't earn anything)

Today I've received another letter from HMRC which states "We're writing to let you know that the last Self Assessment tax return you'll need to complete is for the year ended 5 April 2022

I'm baffled by this. Are they saying that after the April 2022 SA, which I've already submitted, I don't need to submit a SA thereafter, in which case why yesterday's letter, or are they saying they think I owe them a SA submission for that year?

I can't bear the thought of having to try and speak to someone at HMRC on the phone if that can possibly be avoided :cry:

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Re: Bewildered by HMRC

Postby JohnB » August 16th, 2023, 12:36 pm

Spend 75p and write them a letter. Don't include phone or email, they will write back many months later. Do what they say, ignoring all randon computer generated rubbish

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”