Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

2023 2024 Self Assesment Tax Return

Practical Issues
mearnsfool
2 Lemon pips

2023 2024 Self Assesment Tax Return

Postby mearnsfool » April 11th, 2024, 11:18 pm

I had my own tax return made by 9:00am on Saturday 6th of April and the Good Ladies tax return complete by 9:40am on Saturday.

On my own tax, I had to pay some Dividend Tax on non ISA protected dividends. I had paid half the amount in January 2024 in advance. On completing the return it advised me of the total Dividend Tax to be paid but advised to check back within a few days as by then my personal tax account would calculate the money owed in January 2025 as it would adjust the figure to included monies paid to HMRC in advance of the tax return in January 2024.

On my 2022 2023 tax return, I was advised to pay Dividend Tax in advance for 2023 2024 tax year half in January 2024 and the other half in June 2024

I was due to pay the other half of the money in June this year but as advised above the payment date was changed to January 2025

I checked back today on the web and if you go into the tax return section of the personal tax account, it advises that HMRC will advise what you owe between June and October 2025. Text below-:

Your Income Tax has not been calculated yet for 6 April 2023 to 5 April 2024

We cannot calculate your tax yet as we are still waiting for information to reach us. There is no need to call us.

Income Tax for 6 April 2023 to 5 April 2024 will be calculated over the coming months, usually between June and October. Your Income Tax will be updated when that happens.

Now I have the HMRC APP on my mobile phone. It advised today that the money I owe for Dividend tax on 30 June 2024 has been reduced by £67.61 but the payment still needs to be paid in June 2024.

The Good Lady has been owed approx.. £500 for the past few years by HMRC, three requests for a refund over three years has produced no refund nor has a complaints letter to HMRC. The HMRC help forum is full of such complaints and in some cases from people who "need" their large refund.

In the Good Ladies case, we are now owed a further small refund of a further £40 for 2023 2024 tax year. Again, it advised to check back in a few days to see an update on her personal tax account. Again as in my case it now advises that HMRC will advise what you owe between June and October 2025.

HMRC are a complete mess and I have today two different dates to pay my Dividend Tax by!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: 2023 2024 Self Assesment Tax Return

Postby Alaric » April 11th, 2024, 11:23 pm

mearnsfool wrote:
HMRC are a complete mess and I have today two different dates to pay my Dividend Tax by!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I try to avoid having a guess of dividend tax added to my PAYE tax code. Until I submit my tax return, I don't see that HMRC really know what it is. I pay once a year around the end of January.

International
Lemon Pip

Postby International » April 12th, 2024, 10:20 am

Alaric wrote:I try to avoid having a guess of dividend tax added to my PAYE tax code. Until I submit my tax return, I don't see that HMRC really know what it is. I pay once a year around the end of January.

HMRC do get feeds from other jurisdictions these days, and these can include dividends. That said, PAYE inclusion would still be tricky, as it would imply forecasting the dividends for the year. But, depending on the jurisdiction, HMRC can know about the dividends you received before you submit your return.

I do wish HMRC would pre-populate the return with info they know already.

gt94sss2

Postby gt94sss2 » April 13th, 2024, 1:58 am

mearnsfool wrote:I

You are experiencing the Statement of Accounts system that HMRC uses if you owe above a certain amount of tax.

Like Alaric, I always select the boxes asking HMRC not to amend tax code.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » April 13th, 2024, 7:16 am

gt94sss2 wrote:

You are experiencing the Statement of Accounts system that HMRC uses if you owe above a certain amount of tax.

So do I, but I find it's often ignored. As a consequence, I check to see if there's any payment on account for future income claimed by HMRC and if there is, there's a way to edit it to zero. I recall it's not immediately obvious how to do it on the website, but it's definitely possible.

mearnsfool
2 Lemon pips

Postby mearnsfool » April 20th, 2024, 6:21 pm

gt94sss2 wrote:

In my case in April 2023 for the 2022 2023 tax year, I did owe a good bit of tax but I got the figuers I owed straight away when I pressed the submit button.

This year I got the result I have detailed above of having to wait for HMRC to recalculate my tax return.

The good ladies tax return is very simple. State Pension, £1,600 local authority annual pension, one payment from her SIPP in May 2023, therefore overtaxed by the tax provider by £40 as HMRC only gives a part of the tax relief in May of a tax year. There is no reason whatsoever for her to get a "Statement of Account" type of reply answer as she does not owe any tax.

I also click the boxes asking HMRC not to amend the tax code on both our accounts.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 20th, 2024, 7:55 pm

mearnsfool wrote:
gt94sss2 wrote:

I also click the boxes asking HMRC not to amend the tax code on both our accounts.

I'm going to NOT tick that box this year because for about the last decade they have amended the tax code for both myself and/or MrsF, often a few time a year. So much so I begin to wonder if I've been misreading the instructions for it.

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”