Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Self Assessment - Property Income Section

Practical Issues
dealtn
Lemon Half

Self Assessment - Property Income Section

Postby dealtn » September 28th, 2018, 11:54 am

It's that time of year again, but hopefully a quick and easy problem to solve.

Without giving exact figures. I have adjusted property income of X for tax year ending 2018. I have carried forward losses from previous years of Y. Y exceeds X.

If I put the respective X and Y in their appropriate boxes on the online self assessment page I log into at HMRC to submit my return I get an error message (Loss brought forward must not exceed...).

I can amend the Loss brought forward figure I use such that Y=X to get rid of the error, however that then produces an amount in the "Loss to carry forward..." of zero rather than the actual amount of Y-X.

Hope that is clear? Any Ideas?

dealtn
Lemon Half

Re: Self Assessment - Property Income Section

Postby dealtn » September 28th, 2018, 12:44 pm

Poor form to answer your own query I guess but I am informed you do only enter the smaller amount (and eliminate the error) and then ignore the incorrect figure of £0 to carry forward to future years. By putting the (new) correct figure in the "additional information" box this (apparently) alerts HMRC that the £0 generated is wrong and will be ignored going forward. We will see.

Seems a strange way to go about it, and didn't happen in previous years. I'm guessing this is a coding error and a work around rather than this way by design.

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”