Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Australian Bank a/c

Practical Issues
feder1
Lemon Slice

Australian Bank a/c

Postby feder1 » October 4th, 2018, 11:27 am

I am a British Citizen paying UK taxes and have a current a/c in Australia for holidays with several hundred dollars in it.

They now ask me to provide Foreign Tax Residency details and Tax Identification Number.

Firstly I don't know what a TIN is and secondly I wonder if there likely to be any unforeseen problems in which case it may be better to close the Aus a/c?

Thanks.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Re: Australian Bank a/c

Postby genou » October 4th, 2018, 6:51 pm

feder1 wrote:I am a British Citizen paying UK taxes and have a current a/c in Australia for holidays with several hundred dollars in it.

They now ask me to provide Foreign Tax Residency details and Tax Identification Number.

Firstly I don't know what a TIN is and secondly I wonder if there likely to be any unforeseen problems in which case it may be better to close the Aus a/c?

Thanks.

I assume that your Tax Residence is UK. Your TIN for UK purposes is your National Insurance number. If you have been reporting / continue to report any interest arising on the account to HMRC, then there are no issues arising from this, and you might as well keep the convenience of the account.

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”