Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

calling HMRC

Practical Issues
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

calling HMRC

Postby Arborbridge » December 7th, 2018, 11:43 am

Any tips, short cuts, does or don't?

I haven't heard a peep about my paper tax return which was submitted 6 week ago, whereas my wife has. So I just want to check they have it.

Calling took me about 6 minutes to get to a point where The Voice just announced "We can't help you now. Goodbye" end of story: presumably because there are too many people waiting. Oh yes, and they took me through a rigmarole of setting up voice recognition which wasn't successful. On previous occasions, I've manage to get through in reasonable time.

So, apart from endlessly trying or writing, is there any other technique for waking this system up whis has the power to fine you but doesn't seemed disposed to help you?

Arb.

BBLSP1
2 Lemon pips

Re: calling HMRC

Postby BBLSP1 » December 7th, 2018, 12:04 pm

Have you got an online tax account?

The information for my 17/18 Self Assessment was on there before the letter arrived.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » December 7th, 2018, 1:04 pm

BBLSP1 wrote:Have you got an online tax account?

The information for my 17/18 Self Assessment was on there before the letter arrived.

No. I'm not happy about doing it online for various reasons. And I'm certainly not happy with the feeling that HMRC are manipulating me to do so.

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » December 7th, 2018, 1:30 pm

I've tried phoning several times, all with the same result - I get cut off without any further ado, more adieux.

I've also tried the online assistant, but this isn't a real person, just disguised list of FAQs from a chatbot. Anyhow, I eventually ended up with this message:

"Sorry it looks like you need to speak to an adviser, but there isn't anyone available at the moment. You can use the GOV.UK Self Assessment guidance to help you find your answer, or wait a few minutes and type 'recheck' below to see if an adviser is available."

Putting in "recheck", of course, just gives the same answer. I find it blooming patronising to be told I need to talk with an adviser - what the heck have I been trying to do all morning?

Pathetic stonewalling. I've been contacting the HMRC for years, and on the whole they have been reasonable - but things are truly impossible now.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » December 7th, 2018, 1:53 pm

Eventually (and I'm not sure how) I was linked to a human online rather than a chatbot.
My tax return was received on 8th October - that's all I needed, but it took 15 minutes with the online chat person to find out, plus all the phone calls and online searched to get that far.

Well, perhaps, this time next year I'll give up and do it online after all.

Arb.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » December 7th, 2018, 2:02 pm

IME: The phone number on your coding notice gets you straight through to the department that know about YOU. Any of the generic HMRC numbers you can wait hours and be passed from pillar to post.

Gryff

[edit] oops, just realised this is too late. Never mind, I'll leave it here in case it helps anyone else.

BBLSP1
2 Lemon pips

Postby BBLSP1 » December 7th, 2018, 2:11 pm

Arborbridge wrote:No. I'm not happy about doing it online for various reasons. And I'm certainly not happy with the feeling that HMRC are manipulating me to do so.

Arb.

Just for clarity, you can still do a paper return and have an on-line tax account. I did a paper return this year, but the on-line account can confirm the return was received and also shows you the amount owed/refunds for this and previous years. I find it very useful.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 7th, 2018, 2:30 pm

BBLSP1 wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:No. I'm not happy about doing it online for various reasons. And I'm certainly not happy with the feeling that HMRC are manipulating me to do so.

Just for clarity, you can still do a paper return and have an on-line tax account. I did a paper return this year, but the on-line account can confirm the return was received and also shows you the amount owed/refunds for this and previous years. I find it very useful.

I am with Arb on this one. I still do paper returns and refuse to have an online account.

I find that the postal system is adequate for communications with HMRC but I generally arrange my affairs so I owe them rather than they owe me. That way I am never in a rush to resolve things.

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”