Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Help Needed - An index tracker Non-ISA CGT strategy

Practical Issues
tieresias
Lemon Pip

Re: Help Needed - An index tracker Non-ISA CGT strategy

Postby tieresias » January 5th, 2019, 10:41 am

JohnB wrote:Remember you need to declare sales if they are more than 4*allowance, even if no taxable gain/loss is made

Can anyone explain the purpose of such a declaration, since it doesn't impact the amount of CGT payable?

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Help Needed - An index tracker Non-ISA CGT strategy

Postby Lootman » January 5th, 2019, 1:07 pm

tieresias wrote:
JohnB wrote:Remember you need to declare sales if they are more than 4*allowance, even if no taxable gain/loss is made

Can anyone explain the purpose of such a declaration, since it doesn't impact the amount of CGT payable?

I cannot explain it although that is hardly unusual with tax rules. Perhaps HMRC thinks that such a volume of sales indicates an active trader whose activity should be looked at more closely?

I struggle to imagine that the penalty for not disclosing that is high, as long of course as no CGT is actually due. Seems more like a technicality to me that might rarely be enforced. Perhaps it is a throwback to a time when the CGT rules were different - in much the same way as you are theoretically supposed to report the date of acquisition, which has no relevance now that indexation has gone.

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”