Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Still confused by Savings Allowance

Practical Issues
StayinAlive

Still confused by Savings Allowance

Postby StayinAlive » January 4th, 2019, 8:55 pm

Each time I think I've got it, I read something else which makes me wonder. So..... my tax allowance is 10665 (marriage allowance given to OH). I was planning to drawdown £10665 gross, so no tax payable. Now, I also have some savings which will bring in about £500 interest.
Q1. Do I have to declare this interest - I currently do not submit a tax return?
Q2. Although, I assume, this interest is tax free, my actual gross income now will be £10665+£500. Does this affect the marriage allowance transfer?
TIA
StayinAlive

bee12345

Re: Still confused by Savings Allowance

Postby bee12345 » January 22nd, 2019, 10:13 pm

Late reply, I know, so you might have done something else, but what you suggested is fine. No need to submit a tax return and no need to worry about the marriage allowance. Caveat: I presume you're worrying about the 18/19 tax year, based on the figure you've quoted as your personal allowance after the marriage allowance transfer.

It's all a bit confusing because there's a starting rate for savings, and there's a personal savings allowance. You will be taking advantage of the personal savings allowance, which allows people paying basic rate tax to have £1,000 of interest without paying tax, and higher rate taxpayers to have £500. As your suggested income seems to keep you in the basic rate, then your £500 of interest is not taxable. If you have no other reason to submit a tax return, then £500 of interest doesn't change that situation.

Hope that helps,

Bee

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”