Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

SA Help

Practical Issues
XFool
The full Lemon

Re: SA Help

Postby XFool » January 18th, 2019, 7:45 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
XFool wrote:Oh yes, the box explaining why my entry for state pension differs from theirs.

Might that be because your figures are incorrect?

viewtopic.php?p=100941#p100941

Who knows?

I gave up on the 'correct' figures for State Pension, whatever the notes say (they say different things for different years and likely say something else online). I go with the figure quoted by the HMRC Notice of Coding and my record of receipts, which seem to consistently agree with each other. The 13x monthly etc. seem to go all over the place, including disagreeing with HMRC figures.

Then there is the online CGT page (plus on the PDF Return) which appears to imply you need to make an entry, plus show calculations, if you have "disposed of assets". Whereas the online 'Help' says to complete if you had "Chargeable gains". I went with the 'Help' version. ;)

I could go on...
Last edited by XFool on January 18th, 2019, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 18th, 2019, 7:57 pm

XFool wrote:And I remember filling in some other text box without any problems. Oh yes, the box explaining why my entry for state pension differs from theirs. But this entry now doesn't even appear in the box on my PDF copy of my return.

CORRECTION! Yes it does, it appears in an 'Any other information' box in the relevant section. It's just the equivalent box at the end of the Return that wouldn't accept text.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 18th, 2019, 8:07 pm

Just noticed this (from the P60 thread):
PinkDalek wrote:The first State Pension I encountered I tried to calculate the correct figure and was corrected by HMRC in the Tax Calculation (paper returns btw). Since then I’ve taken the State Pension (not mine) as shown on the Notice of Coding and, unsurprisingly, this has never been amended.

Hah! ;)

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 18th, 2019, 9:12 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:Can one alter one's online return after it has been submitted?

Yes. https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-tax- ... orrections

Many thanks. I didn't realise they would give you that long. I'm not sure I'm up to doing it myself so I can wait for my son's next visit.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 19th, 2019, 11:15 am

XFool wrote:Just noticed this (from the P60 thread):
PinkDalek wrote:The first State Pension I encountered I tried to calculate the correct figure and was corrected by HMRC in the Tax Calculation (paper returns btw). Since then I’ve taken the State Pension (not mine) as shown on the Notice of Coding and, unsurprisingly, this has never been amended.

Hah! ;)

Yes, that's from the link I provided, where you then said last year:

"entitled to receive"? Ye Gods I can't be bothered with all this. So just go with the online pre-filled figures from HMRC? (Presumably the same as the PAYE Coding figure) These usually seem to be both a few quid less than the amount actually received in the tax year and rounded down.

Now you are saying I go with the figure quoted by the HMRC Notice of Coding and Oh yes, the box explaining why my entry for state pension differs from theirs.

So are you using the figure quoted by the HMRC Notice of Coding, which is what I did as per the quote above, and, if so, why would you need to enter anything in the box?

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 19th, 2019, 11:32 am

I must say I thought the state pension was prefilled if doing it online but nothing was prefilled when I did mine last week.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 19th, 2019, 11:34 am

PinkDalek wrote:
XFool wrote:Just noticed this (from the P60 thread):

Hah! ;)

Yes, that's from the link I provided, where you then said last year:

"entitled to receive"? Ye Gods I can't be bothered with all this. So just go with the online pre-filled figures from HMRC? (Presumably the same as the PAYE Coding figure) These usually seem to be both a few quid less than the amount actually received in the tax year and rounded down.

Now you are saying I go with the figure quoted by the HMRC Notice of Coding and Oh yes, the box explaining why my entry for state pension differs from theirs.

So are you using the figure quoted by the HMRC Notice of Coding, which is what I did as per the quote above, and, if so, why would you need to enter anything in the box?

Good question!

Because the figure for SP quoted by HMRC in online SA this year was different to the figure in HMRC Notice of Coding - and my records of SP actually received in year (which agree with Notice of Coding figure).

Not a huge difference, but different. (I like to get these thing right, if I can)

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 19th, 2019, 3:29 pm

Does HMRC send an email or letter when they have done a final assessment or do we just have to log on after 72 hrs and see if they have now taken account of payments made in advance and agreed everything or queried anything?

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”