Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Wife's pension on my death.

Practical Issues
ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Wife's pension on my death.

Postby ten0rman » February 11th, 2019, 12:25 pm

This question is spurred on by a couple things on the Over 80's pension thread elsewhere on this board. I've started a new thread just to keep the two separate.

I am quite a few years older tham Mrs T. and as such I fully expect to depart this mortal coil long before she does. As such, I am a little bit concerned about what she will receive after my death. At the moment, our pensions are :
Mrs T.: Basic State Pension plus a few pennies from when she was working before the kids arrived.
Me: Basic State Pension plus GMP/COD arising from my employment plus a few pounds Graduated Retirement benefit.
ME: Final Salary pension less GMP/COD arising from my pension, I think!

In respect of GMP/COD, frankly, I don't understand it. I did try to understand it when it first started up when I reached 65, but I found it being horribly complicated involving three dates, 3%, the state paying part of it, and latterly I think the state has possibly reneged out of some of it due to the new state pension scheme.

I've spoken to the works pension Scheme administrators who have given me an estimate of what she would receive today: by my reckoning this should be 50% of what I was getting at the time of my death, but the figures sent to me don't, at the moment, make much sense, but to be honest, I haven't looked into it all that deeply.

I have read somethong somewhere about GMP/COD being possibly paid to the survivor. Anyone know anything about that?

Also, from the other thread, boulservee said that she was receiving her husband's State Retirement Pension because it was higher than her own. This is the bit I don't understand - on a basic level, mine is greater than my wife's, but it's a mixture of things as outlined above. So anyone got any thoughts about that?

Help!

ten0rman

p.s Mods. I'm putting this on the Taxes board because that's where I got the original impetus from, but it occurs to me that I think I've seen a Pensions board in which case it might be better off there. So could you please move it if necessary. Thankyou.

Chrysalis
Lemon Slice

Re: Wife's pension on my death.

Postby Chrysalis » February 11th, 2019, 1:30 pm

I don't know the answer(I know very little about the pre 2016 SP) but I think you are right that something will go to your wife from your SP, in relation to the GMP. you could try calling the DWP future pensions centre and see if they can advise.
TJH may know something too - try a thread with State pension GMPsurvivors benefits in the title?

Chrysalis
Lemon Slice

Postby Chrysalis » February 11th, 2019, 1:33 pm

btw which board is the over 80s pension thread on?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » February 11th, 2019, 6:45 pm

Jabd2001 wrote:btw which board is the over 80s pension thread on?

Taxes (thus this board in the OP)

over 80 income tax...
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=16114

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”