Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Self assesment

Practical Issues
daveh
Lemon Quarter

Self assesment

Postby daveh » December 3rd, 2019, 5:47 pm

I'm completely p1ssed off with the HMRC self assessment website. I'm having to do a self assessment tax return for capital gains and I wanted to upload a pdf with my CGT Calculation, but it is refusing. So I typed the info in to the any other info of the capital gains page Which took hours and it timed me out as soon as I tried to save it. AGhhhhhh.

Anyone have any idea why it refuse to upload a pdf. Its not too big, its name is correct (the error box says wrong characters or size for the file name but that's not true). The phone line are useless - 20-30 minutes to get through. The advisor knows nothing about uploading files and can't put me through to a technical person as their phone system isn't transferring calls.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Re: Self assesment

Postby genou » December 3rd, 2019, 6:40 pm

daveh wrote:Its not too big, its name is correct (the error box says wrong characters or size for the file name but that's not true).

No idea what the rules are. As a random example of an upload that worked:

file name : <UTR>.pdf, where UTR included the internal space.
size : 1.9M , has four pages.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » December 3rd, 2019, 6:59 pm

genou wrote:
daveh wrote:Its not too big, its name is correct (the error box says wrong characters or size for the file name but that's not true).

No idea what the rules are. As a random example of an upload that worked:

file name : <UTR>.pdf, where UTR included the internal space.
size : 1.9M , has four pages.

I just had cgtcalc.pdf and it was just a single page. No idea why it refused it. I had no problems uplouding files to the realtimeCGT page on the HMRC site but they didn't accept my attempt to try and pay CGT that way and asked me to fill out a tax return. I just put my calculation in the additional info box in the end. We'll see if they accept it when they process it.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » December 3rd, 2019, 7:22 pm

It could be that some characters within the pdf are not permissable?

I do recall having problems years ago with that but use Taxcalc now with no problems.

The rules appear to be
• The attachment will need to be a true PDF (portable document format) file, which can be created by, for example, using software such as Adobe Acrobat Writer or by using a basic scanner.

• Total file size must not exceed 5MB, eg, about 500 pages of plain text generated from Microsoft Word or Excel. This should satisfy most people.

• The online self-assessment attachments feature will transmit PDF files quicker if using a broadband (or equivalent) connection. If you use a telephone dial-up facility (ie, not broadband or equivalent), the speed with which PDFs will transmit may be very slow.

• Any attachment must obviously be virus-free and must not have additional files embedded within it.

• It will not be possible to submit more than 20 attachments with your online self-assessment return.

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”