Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

3 Year Old Electric Bill

Practical Issues
richlist
Lemon Quarter

3 Year Old Electric Bill

Postby richlist » August 2nd, 2019, 4:38 pm

I've been contacted by debt collectors with an electric bill relating to a property we sold in June 2016. Apparently EoN had been writing to us at the sold property but the letters have, unsurprisingly, not been forwarded to us. I thought I had paid the final bill shortly after selling the property back in 2016 but it seems that is not the case. I'm not disputing the bill and have paid it.

The property concerned was a rental property we let out so the question now is.......how do I go about offsetting this belated expense against a tax return for June 2016 that was submitted years ago ????

Can anyone advise how to proceed ?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: 3 Year Old Electric Bill

Postby PinkDalek » August 2nd, 2019, 5:11 pm

richlist wrote:The property concerned was a rental property we let out so the question now is.......how do I go about offsetting this belated expense against a tax return for June 2016 that was submitted years ago ????

See Write to HMRC

Write to HMRC if you need to make a change to your tax return from the 2016 to 2017 tax year or earlier. ...

https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-tax-returns/corrections

If you are still in (the property) business and depending on the amount involved, many would claim the expense in the current tax year and, perhaps, make a note to that effect in the white space or on a note to the accounts.

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”