Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Capital Gains Tax spreadsheet

Practical Issues
Cookie
2 Lemon pips

Capital Gains Tax spreadsheet

Postby Cookie » August 12th, 2019, 8:17 pm

Before reinventing the wheel, does anyone have a spreadsheet for calculating CGT they use or is one available elsewhere,

Both for property and for equities

Thanks

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Capital Gains Tax spreadsheet

Postby Itsallaguess » August 12th, 2019, 8:39 pm

Cookie wrote:
Before reinventing the wheel, does anyone have a spreadsheet for calculating CGT they use or is one available elsewhere,

Both for property and for equities

I've had this link in my bookmarks for quite a while now -

http://www.cgtcalculator.com/

It's got a calculator and lots of worked examples, but I think it's only applicable to equities unfortunately, and I've never had the need to seek out anything for property.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Capital Gains Tax spreadsheet

Postby Lootman » August 12th, 2019, 11:25 pm

For equities, I use a very simple spreadsheet that is refreshed each tax year. It basically has a new row created each time I make a sale (or a purchase for a short position). And it has a column for each of the following data items:

Date of sale
Security identifier and name
Net cost basis for the lot sold
Net proceeds for the lot sold
Profit or loss (derived)

You can optionally include number of shares sold and the original purchase price, which are on the tax form but which are not required by HMRC. I don't bother.

It's a sufficiently simple spreadsheet that I don't think you need to copy a boilerplate one. Just draft your own.

For properties it's the opposite. Very few transactions (presumably) but a lot of data to record for each property e.g. past capital expenditure and the details of the original purchase. So in that case I'd probably have a file for each property rather than a spreadsheet. If the property was only partly rented and partly owner-occupied, then you need to keep records of that with dates.

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”