Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Can't pay over £10000 at post office

Practical Issues
Rover110
Lemon Pip

Can't pay over £10000 at post office

Postby Rover110 » December 29th, 2016, 9:33 am

I don't know how many of you prefer to pay your income tax by cheque at a post office (I like the counterfoil showing that I've paid it, the fact that any mistyping of account / reference codes are down to someone else, and the fact that you can give in the cheque on the due date).

I recently tried to pay my company corporation tax by cheque at a post office, and the person at the counter said "computer says no". It seems that there is now a limit of £10,000 for such payments. My accountant had not heard of it.

The first reference on a web search suggests that the same limit applies to income tax. So you might have to do a bank transfer - and be sure to get the account number / sort code / reference all correct or it's your problem. (Direct debit takes a few days to set up).

- Rover

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Can't pay over £10000 at post office

Postby PinkDalek » December 29th, 2016, 12:11 pm

Rover110 wrote:I recently tried to pay my company corporation tax by cheque at a post office, and the person at the counter said "computer says no". It seems that there is now a limit of £10,000 for such payments. My accountant had not heard of it.

The limit would appear to have been introduced in January 2015, "due to recent actual and attempted frauds" according to http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/tax/pers ... -santander (free registration may be required), and is confirmed here https://www.gov.uk/pay-corporation-tax/post-office

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Re: Can't pay over £10000 at post office

Postby stevensfo » December 31st, 2016, 6:43 pm

It seems that there is now a limit of £10,000 for such payments. My accountant had not heard of it.

Is this an EU ruling? In Italy, 10,000 euros is the limit for cheques. Anything over has to be by electronic transfer. We also cannot pay by cash over 1000 euros. Easy to get round if you really want and typical of the rules made by the rich, powerful and corrupt. Including the law against going to prison if you're over 70. Dontcha just love Berlusconi?

Steve

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”