Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Has anyone used cgtcalculator.com?

Practical Issues
Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Has anyone used cgtcalculator.com?

Postby Lootman » March 23rd, 2017, 7:39 pm

helfordpirate wrote:I have always put the incidental cost of acquisition i.e. dealing fees, in the s104 pool as this seems the only way you can get a true blended net per unit/share base cost. I always show the incidental cost of disposal separately.

Are you saying that the "true blended net per unit/share base cost" is something explicitly needed by HMRC? Or is that something you want for you own recordkeeping purposes?

PD, I will ask my accountant your related question when I talk to him, probably June or so, and report back.

helfordpirate
2 Lemon pips

Postby helfordpirate » March 23rd, 2017, 10:21 pm

Lootman wrote:Are you saying that the "true blended net per unit/share base cost" is something explicitly needed by HMRC? Or is that something you want for you own recordkeeping purposes?

No. Just that the concept of a pooled cost base seems to require a pooled incidental cost also. Suppose I have used different brokers with different trading costs or old-style brokers with % trading fees. How can I isolate a particular cost for acquiring a part of my pool? I cant. So I need to have a blended pooled acquisition cost. On the other hand I can isolate a specific cost for the sale of part of the pool.

As said earlier, it is surprising how quiet and non-prescriptive HMRC seem to be on all this...

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 23rd, 2017, 11:27 pm

helfordpirate wrote:
Lootman wrote:Are you saying that the "true blended net per unit/share base cost" is something explicitly needed by HMRC? Or is that something you want for you own recordkeeping purposes?

No. Just that the concept of a pooled cost base seems to require a pooled incidental cost also. Suppose I have used different brokers with different trading costs or old-style brokers with % trading fees. How can I isolate a particular cost for acquiring a part of my pool? I cant. So I need to have a blended pooled acquisition cost. On the other hand I can isolate a specific cost for the sale of part of the pool.

As said earlier, it is surprising how quiet and non-prescriptive HMRC seem to be on all this...

But surely at the end of the day what HMRC wants to see and tax is your net gain. And that can be computed as the net proceeds minus the net cost. So the question is whether HMRC wants to see the way you compute those net costs and proceeds. And under a self-assessment regime I'd expect them to accept my net numbers knowing that they can always ask me to break them down if necessary.

So for example, when I buy I have a gross cost that includes commission and stamp duty, which I then deduct to determine the net cost. When I sell I have gross proceeds from which I can deduct the commission. I fail to see why HMRC thinks it needs that level of detail.

If there are multiple buys and sells, and the need to determine the average net cost, that still doesn't require a declaration of expenses. It merely requires me to compute the net cost for each lot, and then average them.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » January 9th, 2018, 8:48 pm

FYI since yesterday cgtcalculator.com website has had an HTTP Error 500.19 -error:

http://www.cgtcalculator.com/

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » January 9th, 2018, 9:16 pm

JMN2 wrote:FYI since yesterday cgtcalculator.com website has had an HTTP Error 500.19 -error:

To possibly save a few minutes for anyone looking for a similar calculator, another one was mentioned near the top of this thread and that one appears to still be ok...

http://www.stonebanks.co.uk/

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » January 9th, 2018, 9:31 pm

staffordian wrote:
JMN2 wrote:FYI since yesterday cgtcalculator.com website has had an HTTP Error 500.19 -error:

To possibly save a few minutes for anyone looking for a similar calculator, another one was mentioned near the top of this thread and that one appears to still be ok...

Yes but I can't figure out how to format the data for it.... :oops:

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » January 9th, 2018, 10:30 pm

JMN2 wrote:
staffordian wrote:

I might be way off beam here, as I had no more than a cursory glance at the homepage to check it is still extant, but isn't there a function there to translate data formatted for cgtcalculator to a format suitable for the stonebanks one?

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » January 10th, 2018, 9:23 am

staffordian wrote:
JMN2 wrote:
staffordian wrote:

I might be way off beam here, as I had no more than a cursory glance at the homepage to check it is still extant, but isn't there a function there to translate data formatted for cgtcalculator to a format suitable for the stonebanks one?

Yes, I did try it but got a bunch of zero values. cgtcalculator data paste took me 15 seconds to figure out which raw format to copy paste but stonebanks one is not so obvious and I only have about 30 seconds to allocate to each computer task, if it takes any more than that it is not user-friendly.

I'll have another go soon. Not a biggie, I have a spreadsheet which always matched cgtcalculator values.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » January 10th, 2018, 10:00 am

Got the other website calculator working, got some numbers generated but seems to me it can not handle fractions in units but rounds them thus messing up the sums.

Of course I could scale the numbers up and see what happens...

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » January 15th, 2018, 7:28 pm

cgtcalculator.com working again, get your trades in!

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » March 20th, 2018, 6:19 pm

I remembered this thread from March 2017, in view of the discussion going on elsewhere:

Lootman wrote:PD, I will ask my accountant your related question when I talk to him, probably June or so, and report back.

I think my related question was to do with claiming incidental costs of disposal when I said It looks like the only data you don't supply, which might be needed, are the gross proceeds and the incidental costs of disposal. It would be interesting if you asked your accountant if he would prefer to receive these (perhaps for 2017/2018 which you are shortly to commence), rather than your method of reporting net disposal proceeds only.

Did you by any chance discuss this with your accountant?

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 20th, 2018, 6:32 pm

PinkDalek wrote:I remembered this thread from March 2017, in view of the discussion going on elsewhere:

Lootman wrote:PD, I will ask my accountant your related question when I talk to him, probably June or so, and report back.

I think my related question was to do with claiming incidental costs of disposal when I said It looks like the only data you don't supply, which might be needed, are the gross proceeds and the incidental costs of disposal. It would be interesting if you asked your accountant if he would prefer to receive these (perhaps for 2017/2018 which you are shortly to commence), rather than your method of reporting net disposal proceeds only.

PD, you have such a good memory. I do not and, in fact, it slipped my mind, for which I apologise.

But of course it is nearly that time again (I try and get my taxes done by June 30th each year). So I will make a point of asking next month.

Sorry and thank you for the gentle reminder :)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 23rd, 2018, 8:08 pm

PinkDalek wrote:I remembered this thread from March 2017, in view of the discussion going on elsewhere:

PD,

I did ask your question. The answer was in two parts somewhat contradictory in nature.

The first part of the response was that it is always desirable, from their point of view, to have the more detailed information. Perhaps this is so they can anticipate special cases and exceptions. For example, she said that is what I should do if I sell buildings and property. And from memory I did do that when i offloaded BTL properties.

But then she reassured me that, for my situation, in regards of disposals of securities, that net numbers are good enough. And i was advised to keep doing what I have been doing.

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”