Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Capital Losses Carried forward

Practical Issues
Maylix
2 Lemon pips

Capital Losses Carried forward

Postby Maylix » July 13th, 2020, 4:06 pm

Hi, Can anyone help with this please?
I have Capital Losses from a few years ago that I am carrying forward for potential future use. This year however I have no need to fill out a CGT section in my self assessment as all my transactions were in ISA's, so how do I record the losses I'm carrying forward, so they don't get 'lost' in the system?
Many thanks IA.

MayLIx

genou
Lemon Quarter

Re: Capital Losses Carried forward

Postby genou » July 13th, 2020, 5:39 pm

Maylix wrote:Hi, Can anyone help with this please?
I have Capital Losses from a few years ago that I am carrying forward for potential future use. This year however I have no need to fill out a CGT section in my self assessment as all my transactions were in ISA's, so how do I record the losses I'm carrying forward, so they don't get 'lost' in the system?
Many thanks IA.

MayLIx

They won't get lost. If you want, stick a note in the comments box at the end of your return "CGT losses bf and cf xx"

Maylix
2 Lemon pips

Postby Maylix » July 15th, 2020, 2:39 pm

Thanks for the response genou, I've just received a a call back from HMRC and they have said the same thing: 'Note it in the Additional Information box at the end of the return'
That was going to be my default, but it's comforting to get it confirmed from two sources! :)

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » July 16th, 2020, 11:39 am

Maylix wrote:Thanks for the response genou, I've just received a a call back from HMRC and they have said the same thing: 'Note it in the Additional Information box at the end of the return'
That was going to be my default, but it's comforting to get it confirmed from two sources! :)

I’m glad to get this confirmed too as that is exactly what I have been doing for the last few years. Genou says it doesn’t get lost but it’s disconcerting that there is no visibility of the loss recorded over possibly multiple years. If/when you come to offset it (or some of it) against a future gain you have to have made a note of it somewhere or go back over old returns in order to find out exactly how much there was. I’d much prefer it to be carried forward automatically in some way that you can see it.

Anyway they’re reviewing the whole CGT thing now so who knows we may not be able to carry losses forward for much longer.

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”