Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

CGT question re allowable property cost

Practical Issues
scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

CGT question re allowable property cost

Postby scrumpyjack » September 25th, 2020, 1:29 pm

My daughter is selling her rental property. A year or so ago she bought a new dishwasher, which is not now deductible in any way against rental income.

She is now selling the property, including the dishwasher. Can the cost of the dishwasher be treated as part of her acquisition cost of the property?

Trivial I know, but 'every little helps'!

dealtn
Lemon Half

Re: CGT question re allowable property cost

Postby dealtn » September 25th, 2020, 2:44 pm

If you are selling the property that includes such "chattels" you can have a property price of, say £198k, and the other items as £2k, and ask the solicitors to draw up as such.

The buyer can (in ordinary times) save stamp duty too.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » September 25th, 2020, 3:22 pm

dealtn wrote:If you are selling the property that includes such "chattels" you can have a property price of, say £198k, and the other items as £2k, and ask the solicitors to draw up as such.

I do realise that but it's not worth doing the paperwork for a £300 dishwasher!

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » September 25th, 2020, 3:31 pm

If the dishwasher was a replacement of the previous one, then it would normally be an allowable expense against rental income under the category "replacement of domestic items."
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/income-tax- ... tal-income

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » September 25th, 2020, 3:36 pm

Ok I'll check if she claimed it.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » September 25th, 2020, 4:05 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:
dealtn wrote:If you are selling the property that includes such "chattels" you can have a property price of, say £198k, and the other items as £2k, and ask the solicitors to draw up as such.

Ok but you didn't give details of what other items there might be that could be treated the same way.

I bought a £600k property with £25k of items as part of the transaction. If there was also fridge, freezer, washing machine, dishwasher...

JonE
Lemon Slice

Postby JonE » September 25th, 2020, 5:22 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:A year or so ago she bought a new dishwasher, which is not now deductible in any way against rental income.

If it was an integrated device then the first purchase of such would be a capital improvement to the property and the replacement of same would be an allowable repair to the property (in the same way that a replacement starter motor is a repair to a car). The costs of the initial acquisition would only feature in a CGT calculation if the house was sold with an integrated dishwasher in place.

That's one of the reasons I preferred integrated ovens and hobs rather than standalone cookers in furnished BTL properties when claiming the old 10% W&T allowance.

Cheers!

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » September 25th, 2020, 11:17 pm

dealtn wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:

Ok but you didn't give details of what other items there might be that could be treated the same way.

I bought a £600k property with £25k of items as part of the transaction. If there was also fridge, freezer, washing machine, dishwasher...

A possible downside of selling a house and splitting the sale price into two categories, property and chattels is that any (possibly first time) buyer getting a mortgage has to use up some of their precious deposit to fund the chattels. Thereby increasing the LTV of their mortgage and possibly making the deal unviable.

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”