Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Offset income tax

Practical Issues
MrBeeAt101

Offset income tax

Postby MrBeeAt101 » April 27th, 2021, 8:58 am

Hi,

I have income from a salaried job, dividends, and farmer's rent from a field I own. I'm a higher rate tax payer. I have to make a costly repair this year to a bridge which provides access to the field.

Can I offset the cost of the repair to the bridge against my income? If so, am I limited to offset against the income from the field only, or can I also use it to offset divividend income for example?

If I make the repair this year, do I need to declare it in this tax year's self assessment, or next year's?

Regards,

MrBeeAt101

genou
Lemon Quarter

Re: Offset income tax

Postby genou » April 27th, 2021, 11:06 am

MrBeeAt101 wrote:Hi,

I have income from a salaried job, dividends, and farmer's rent from a field I own. I'm a higher rate tax payer. I have to make a costly repair this year to a bridge which provides access to the field.

Can I offset the cost of the repair to the bridge against my income? If so, am I limited to offset against the income from the field only, or can I also use it to offset divividend income for example?

If I make the repair this year, do I need to declare it in this tax year's self assessment, or next year's?

Regards,

MrBeeAt101

Have a look at the guidance here - https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... heet/hs251

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”