Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

Overseas INcome on SA form

Practical Issues
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Overseas INcome on SA form

Postby DrFfybes » June 1st, 2023, 10:28 am

I'm pretty sure I've been through this before, but forgot how I got around it.

I have 'Overseas Income' on my consolidated tax certs, SONG and VEVE dividends which exceeds the £2k threshold for reporting. I also have ERI from Dimensional funds.

However, on the SA return if I select I moved it all back into the UK, it tells me not to complete the Foreign Income section, but then throws an error when I put the figure in the "Foreign Dividends" section as it is over £2k. And around in circles I go.

I think last time I had to do a return I simply added the foreign ones to the UK ones and put ERI in "Other Income" alongside the HL Loyalty Bonus, but is there a better way of doing it?

Thanks

Paul

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Overseas INcome on SA form

Postby XFool » June 3rd, 2023, 6:37 pm

No takers so far! As I have an interest here I am watching but not contributing.

I'm interested in any answers as it seems to be the same or similar thing that trips me up every year in the online SA. I can never remember for sure what exactly I did last year and I always feel (possibly wrongly) they have changed things since last year. I too get "Error - Enter the correct figure" on the SA software. "It IS the correct figure! And if it wasn't, how could you know it wasn't?". I vaguely remember that on some HMRC SA pages I have somehow actually faced down the "Error" and got the page through eventually, God knows how. I too realise that, under current legislation, the tax on these things is in practice exactly the same as normal taxation of UK dividends.

Also, for several years, on my HMRC Notice of Tax Coding, the corresponding figure - "Less Other Unearned Income" - was fixed. Whatever the previous year's (rising) and reported non UK dividend amount. Also, it was the one figure that you couldn't adjust via the Online Tax Account. Issue with HMRC IT system? Interestingly, I see from my most recent Tax Code Notice, issued this year, it has actually now been raised by HMRC, after several obstinately stationary years. Mysterious.

helfordpirate
2 Lemon pips

Postby helfordpirate » June 4th, 2023, 9:59 am

DrFfybes wrote:However, on the SA return if I select I moved it all back into the UK, it tells me not to complete the Foreign Income section, but then throws an error when I put the figure in the "Foreign Dividends" section as it is over £2k. And around in circles I go.

I don't use the online SA but looking at the TaxCalc equivalent pages, the question is "Do you have unremittable foreign income?" i.e. were you unable to get the income to the UK due to exchange or capital controls. In which case they are not taxable (yet!) and are not declared on the main foreign pages but should be included in Any Other Information?

a4alan

Postby a4alan » June 4th, 2023, 5:57 pm

helfordpirate wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:However, on the SA return if I select I moved it all back into the UK, it tells me not to complete the Foreign Income section, but then throws an error when I put the figure in the "Foreign Dividends" section as it is over £2k. And around in circles I go.

I don't use the online SA but looking at the TaxCalc equivalent pages, the question is "Do you have unremittable foreign income?" i.e. were you unable to get the income to the UK due to exchange or capital controls. In which case they are not taxable (yet!) and are not declared on the main foreign pages but should be included in Any Other Information?

I do use online SA with similar circumstances to the OP and it works fine. Looking at the pdf generated from last year’s return, the question is as you state, i.e. it asks if there was any unremittable foreign income, to which the answer is no as I received it all, so that box is left unchecked and I can then enter foreign divs and ERI

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » June 4th, 2023, 9:40 pm

a4alan wrote:I do use online SA with similar circumstances to the OP and it works fine. Looking at the pdf generated from last year’s return, the question is as you state, i.e. it asks if there was any unremittable foreign income, to which the answer is no as I received it all, so that box is left unchecked and I can then enter foreign divs and ERI

That's the issue - I hit 'no' to unremittable foreign income and it then says I don't need to fill in the foreign earning section. Then in the income/divis section it asks me to enter my overseas income, which is over £2k, so it tells me I need to fill in the foreign dividends section, and so in circles I go.

I've run it both ways now, saying I didn't bring it all into the UK, and entering it all as UK income, and it makes no difference to the tax calc.

Paul

a4alan

Postby a4alan » June 4th, 2023, 10:07 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
a4alan wrote:I do use online SA with similar circumstances to the OP and it works fine. Looking at the pdf generated from last year’s return, the question is as you state, i.e. it asks if there was any unremittable foreign income, to which the answer is no as I received it all, so that box is left unchecked and I can then enter foreign divs and ERI

That's the issue - I hit 'no' to unremittable foreign income and it then says I don't need to fill in the foreign earning section. Then in the income/divis section it asks me to enter my overseas income, which is over £2k, so it tells me I need to fill in the foreign dividends section, and so in circles I go.

I've run it both ways now, saying I didn't bring it all into the UK, and entering it all as UK income, and it makes no difference to the tax calc.

Paul

Just had a look at my return - I enter the divs/ERI under “Dividends from foreign companies” rather than “Remitted foreign dividend income” - is that what you are doing also?

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » June 7th, 2023, 3:18 pm

a4alan wrote:
Just had a look at my return - I enter the divs/ERI under “Dividends from foreign companies” rather than “Remitted foreign dividend income” - is that what you are doing also?

Well, I'm back in my SA now and the question is "Were you unable to transfer some or all of your overseas income to the UK?"

And I read Helfordpirate's reply on my large screen with good contrast, and it hit me... I realised it said "Were you UNable to transfer..." and I'd been reading it as "able", whereupon it all became a lot simpler..

D'oh.

Paul

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”