Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

Self Assessment online

Practical Issues
smokey01
Lemon Pip

Self Assessment online

Postby smokey01 » June 29th, 2023, 11:19 am

I have just done my mothers online self assessment tax form. She has pensions, interest and did sell a rental house during the year so I needed to add the capital gains section in.

But when I save the return and check the draft version of the form on the second page ‘What makes up your tax return’ there are 3 checkboxes that have a yes/no option that have neither checked:-

6. Trusts etc
8. Residence, remittance basis etc
If you need more pages

I cannot see where I could have entered information to get these boxes ticked. Am I missing something?

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Re: Self Assessment online

Postby Laughton » June 29th, 2023, 4:00 pm

I'm trying to do this from memory as I've already completed and submitted my Return so excuse me if I've got this wrong. I think what you need to do is just go back to Page 2 and put a cross if the No boxes for those options.

Then those pages will not be included on your Return and HMRC will not expect answers to questions on those pages.

It's a bit like later on some questions need you to leave a blank box rather than fill with a "0".

smokey01
Lemon Pip

Postby smokey01 » June 30th, 2023, 7:59 am

Laughton wrote:I'm trying to do this from memory as I've already completed and submitted my Return so excuse me if I've got this wrong. I think what you need to do is just go back to Page 2 and put a cross if the No boxes for those options.

Then those pages will not be included on your Return and HMRC will not expect answers to questions on those pages.

It's a bit like later on some questions need you to leave a blank box rather than fill with a "0".

But the form is generated so I cannot put a cross in the No boxes and I cannot find anywhere where I was asked a question that caused those options to appear in the generated form.

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Postby Laughton » June 30th, 2023, 9:54 am

Ah, sorry. As I said I was commenting from memory and having already submitted my return I don't think I can go back to a clean return to see how to get rid of those sections. I did though at the time - so it must be possible.

I'm sure that someone who know what they're talking about will be along shortly to explain.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » June 30th, 2023, 11:22 am

smokey01 wrote:I have just done my mothers online self assessment tax form. She has pensions, interest and did sell a rental house during the year so I needed to add the capital gains section in.

But when I save the return and check the draft version of the form on the second page ‘What makes up your tax return’ there are 3 checkboxes that have a yes/no option that have neither checked:-

6. Trusts etc
If you need more pages

I cannot see where I could have entered information to get these boxes ticked. Am I missing something?

Dunno, but if you are I am too, and seemingly have always done so as for all the ones I've got PDFs for (the last 5 years) I have exactly the same. Also for Additional information.

silentknight

Postby silentknight » June 30th, 2023, 11:50 am

smokey01 wrote:...
6. Trusts etc

I've not done any of this myself, but in the "Notes for Residence, remittance basis etc." supplementary document (sorry, not approved to post links) it says "If you want to submit the Residence, remittance basis etc. pages online you’ll need to purchase software from a commercial supplier. "

The "Notes for Trusts etc." doc doesn't say either way, but other threads imply it can't be done on the HMRC website e.g. see second paragraph in the topic "HMRC have lost the plot again - Paper tax returns".

If it's a bare trust, the Notes say that "Income from a bare trust should be included on the supplementary page relating to the type of income", in which case you might be able to do it using the HMRC website.

As Laughton says, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be able to confirm this.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » June 30th, 2023, 12:24 pm

silentknight wrote:
smokey01 wrote:...
6. Trusts etc

I've not done any of this myself, but in the "Notes for Residence, remittance basis etc." supplementary document (sorry, not approved to post links) it says "If you want to submit the Residence, remittance basis etc. pages online you’ll need to purchase software from a commercial supplier. "

The "Notes for Trusts etc." doc doesn't say either way, but other threads imply it can't be done on the HMRC website e.g. see second paragraph in the topic "HMRC have lost the plot again - Paper tax returns".

If it's a bare trust, the Notes say that "Income from a bare trust should be included on the supplementary page relating to the type of income", in which case you might be able to do it using the HMRC website.

As Laughton says, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be able to confirm this.

Smokey01 has said he wants to answer "No" to those boxes, so how to fill those sections if the answer was Yes isn't relevant.

As I said above, my generated PDFs for the last 5 years have neither Yes or No crossed for those questions, and neither are there sections in the generated return for those sections, so I think the simple answer is, as suspected, that there isn't a way of ticking those boxes in the online self assessment and, as we'd have wanted to tick No if there was, it doesn't matter anyway.

surreycanary

Postby surreycanary » June 30th, 2023, 5:16 pm

smokey01 wrote:I have just done my mothers online self assessment tax form. She has pensions, interest and did sell a rental house during the year so I needed to add the capital gains section in.

6. Trusts etc
If you need more pages

I have just reviewed my PDF prior to submission and find that 6. Trusts does NOT have a yes/no option ticked. Having gone through "Tailor Your Return" again , I was not given the option to decide. It is as if HMRC has already performed some "Pre-Tailoring" (or there is a software error).

smokey01
Lemon Pip

Postby smokey01 » July 1st, 2023, 7:43 am

Thanks everyone, I will just submit the form as it is and not worry about the non checked tick boxes

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”