Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to niord,gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa, for Donating to support the site

Should I contact HMRC re self-assessment?

Practical Issues
TaurusTheBull
2 Lemon pips

Should I contact HMRC re self-assessment?

Postby TaurusTheBull » May 12th, 2024, 10:57 am

Hi,

I don't think I owe any tax for 2023/4, but I read somewhere that if one earns more than £10,000 in bank interest, one is obliged to.

As I cannot find my gateway ID, I am hence faced with writing a snail mail that will probably go un-answered. As HMRC must get my bank interest and DWP feeds anyway, there should surely be no requirement for me to tell them that I owe them nothing.

On the other hand, informing HMRC that I have a CGT loss to carry forward would be useful, but it seems only they who control whether they require me to fill in a return.

Should I bother even contacting them?

Taurus

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Re: Should I contact HMRC re self-assessment?

Postby Gersemi » May 12th, 2024, 8:13 pm

Use this tool https://www.gov.uk/check-if-you-need-tax-return to see if you need to submit a tax return.

However, yes, if you have income of over £10,000 from savings (not in an ISA) you should submit a return. I think it's worth to claim the loss anyway. I never thought I'd use Capital Gains losses I racked up, but then they reduced the Capital Gains exemption from £12,300 to £3000!

If you haven't changed your email address it looks like you could recover your details using this tool https://www.access.service.gov.uk/accou ... our-emails

TaurusTheBull
2 Lemon pips

Postby TaurusTheBull » May 20th, 2024, 1:19 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I had no joy using that link, and furthermore, it implies that one must communicate with HMRC online.

I am old school, and am only interested in communicating with HMRC using pen and ink. I don't believe that that has been outlawed, yet.

I will write to them, registered post and photo-copied, to admit my technical requirement to fill in a self-assessment form, despite not, to my knowledge, owing any income tax (one of the advantages of having simple finances is that no accountant is needed, one investigates and learns the ropes).

I will say that if they fail to respond, then that is their prerogative, but that I will have met my obligations, and will also put on written record my CGT losses for 2023/4, to be carried forward (the "request" to do this seems irrelevant, because, by law, HMRC cannot refuse it, as far as I can see).

Cheers

Taurus

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » May 20th, 2024, 1:37 pm

TaurusTheBull wrote:I am old school, and am only interested in communicating with HMRC using pen and ink. I don't believe that that has been outlawed, yet.

I will write to them, registered post and photo-copied,

Taurus

I would avoid sending anything that requires a signature. If the post arrives in a van at 7am for tipping through the post hatch and there is nobody there to sign, it either gets returned or goes elsewhere looking for someone to sign. Same things with Councils - it took 4 days for an urgent parcel to reach me when I worked there as the muppet who sent it required a signature rather than it just going through the mail hatch and up to my office an hour later. Our First Aid certs were also sent "signed for", same issue.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 20th, 2024, 2:15 pm

get a proof of posting. ISTR "legally" its deemed to be delivered two working days after posting (1st class anyway).

TaurusTheBull
2 Lemon pips

Postby TaurusTheBull » May 20th, 2024, 3:32 pm

Thanks.

Yes, proof of posting/delivery is tantamount when using snail mail, but on balance, I prefer that to online. How long the GPO receipts last before fading into nothingness is another matter (I guess it could be photo-copied), but the main thing is to know that HMRC are in receipt of the letter, and information contained therein.

It's all in the game...

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » May 20th, 2024, 4:29 pm

TaurusTheBull wrote:I am old school, and am only interested in communicating with HMRC using pen and ink. I don't believe that that has been outlawed, yet.

Taurus

Good luck with that!
I sent a letter to HMRC on 01Nov23 about tax due on my mum's estate. No reply yet.
Their loss.

--kiloran

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » May 20th, 2024, 7:46 pm

TaurusTheBull wrote:...and will also put on written record my CGT losses for 2023/4, to be carried forward (the "request" to do this seems irrelevant, because, by law, HMRC cannot refuse it, as far as I can see).

You are clearly in time to claim these losses, but it is a claim. HMRC don't refuse, they just expire if unclaimed.

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”