Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

UK or overseas income?

Practical Issues
BobbyD
Lemon Half

UK or overseas income?

Postby BobbyD » September 17th, 2017, 10:14 pm

Hi folks.

I'm disassembling a CTC for 16/17 which doesn't seem overly sure or even consistent on whether dividends from RDSA, RDSB and DLPH count as UK or overseas, what's the determining factor?

Many thanks in advance.

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: UK or overseas income?

Postby XFool » September 17th, 2017, 11:55 pm

Here's a site that may help with the Shell shares. ;-)

Fool UK

I don't know about the Delphi share dividends.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » September 18th, 2017, 1:47 am

XFool wrote:Here's a site that may help with the Shell shares. ;-)

Fool UK

I don't know about the Delphi share dividends.

Thanks.

The dutch dividend isn't subject to witholding tax if you take it as SCRIP... I'm quite aware of the company's structure and it's share arrangements, but that doesn't actually answer the question asked.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » September 18th, 2017, 2:11 pm

The point is at least, the RDSB shares are not subject to foreign witholding tax and so presumably not foreign dividends. Which is why they are the ones usually held by UK investors. I cannot help with the details of the other shares, possibly others can.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » September 18th, 2017, 7:49 pm

XFool wrote:The point is at least, the RDSB shares are not subject to foreign witholding tax and so presumably not foreign dividends. Which is why they are the ones usually held by UK investors. I cannot help with the details of the other shares, possibly others can.

Yes I understand that, I have very deliberately held both for years, my problem is that my latest CTC lists the dividends under foreign earnings (untaxed USD for SCRIP and taxed euros for cash) but lists the country of incorporation as GBR... HMRC say go with the CTC so I appear to have paid dutch witholding tax on a UK share which doesn't make a lot of sense... Having checked that I did pay tax it's back to HMRC I guess.

The other one is more fun, a previously US company, once an arm of GM, reincorporated post bankruptcy in the UK, quoted in NY, hq'd in Gillingham and apparently a resident of Jersey for the purposes of my income tax return...

I had rather hopped there was a nice simple rule to be followed.

Thanks again.

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”