Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Swiss pension taxable here?

Practical Issues
UnclePhilip
2 Lemon pips

Swiss pension taxable here?

Postby UnclePhilip » January 10th, 2018, 10:28 am

In filling out our self assessments the other day, I came across a new one. My wife began to get a small Swiss pension (she's dual national Swiss-UK, domiciled here). It's from some work many years ago, a modest State pension (AHV). So, in March 2016 she got a lump sum backpayment (due to late claim) and regular small sums began in the tax year 2016-17. Really modest, less than £20 per week....

It was late, I began googling, but gave up in despair. Does anyone know whether such sums (both lump and regular) have to be declared on the UK SA? Are they paid net etc etc?

Confused,

Uncle

Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: Swiss pension taxable here?

Postby Alaric » January 10th, 2018, 10:45 am

UnclePhilip wrote: Does anyone know whether such sums (both lump and regular) have to be declared on the UK SA? Are they paid net etc etc?

There's a double taxation agreement between the UK and Switzerland, so the pension income is only taxable once. A quick Google search fails to establish definitively whether that's in Switzerland or the UK. Isn't there a P60 lookalike or a State Pension statement lookalike coming from the Swiss side which would establish whether the income is gross or not?

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » January 10th, 2018, 1:58 pm

UnclePhilip wrote:In filling out our self assessments the other day, I came across a new one. My wife began to get a small Swiss pension (she's dual national Swiss-UK, domiciled here). It's from some work many years ago, a modest State pension (AHV). So, in March 2016 she got a lump sum backpayment (due to late claim) and regular small sums began in the tax year 2016-17. Really modest, less than £20 per week....

It was late, I began googling, but gave up in despair. Does anyone know whether such sums (both lump and regular) have to be declared on the UK SA? Are they paid net etc etc?

Confused,

Uncle

Treaty is here - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... landUK.pdf
Per 18(1) the ongoing pension is taxable only in the UK. Per 18(2) the lump sum is taxable only in CH .

If it is a pension from the CH government, it seems the ongoing payments are nevertheless still only taxed in the UK per 19(2)(b) since she has UK nationality.

TedSwippet
Lemon Slice

Postby TedSwippet » January 10th, 2018, 2:05 pm

It might be just a small saving here, but it is worth noting that for 2016/17 and earlier tax years you can take a 10% deduction for foreign pensions, meaning that only 90% of the payment is taxable.

Unfortunately this deduction was scrapped with effect from April 2017.

UnclePhilip
2 Lemon pips

Postby UnclePhilip » January 10th, 2018, 8:05 pm

Thanks to all for replies....

And to Genou, thanks especially for that link to the treaty; that is brilliant! Reading that, I am comforted that her lump sum doesn't need to be put in her UK SA. Very helpful indeed

Uncle

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”