Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

16 11 Come on November...its not so bad!

Think it, Plan it, Do it
Tortoise1000
2 Lemon pips

16 11 Come on November...its not so bad!

Postby Tortoise1000 » November 9th, 2016, 6:46 am

We land on the Lemon! Unpack your November goals here :-)

T

Stonge
Lemon Slice

Re: 16 11 Come on November...its not so bad!

Postby Stonge » November 9th, 2016, 7:24 am

Congratulations from a long-term lurker who you have inspired greatly over the years. 8-)

splosh
Lemon Pip

Postby splosh » November 9th, 2016, 9:44 am

Hello T & all.

Righto, time for a check-in, to make sure all my goals made it through the move all right.

Work
1. 2 choir gigs
One down, one to go
2. 1 planning meeting with organisation I want more work from Next week
3. Potential coaching gig (tbc) No, that will happen next month
4. Go live on big project Yes, have done this. Still more to do on it, but that can be done on an ongoing basis
5. Start groundwork for major events of 2017 Only done one small thing so far, but it was a useful small thing.

Play
1. Go to local prize-giving event (just as a guest, not to get any prizes)
Yes, fun evening out, and made some new friends
2. See local friends Brief get-together with one, a couple others in the diary.
3. 2 quartet rehearsals Not yet
4. Find something else to do for a laugh Not yet

Home/Health/Family
1. Garden tidying
Very little done so far.
2. Generally get caught up and rebuild stamina after recent poorliness. Doing well here. I notice the pace at which I walk is back up to my usual briskness, and I am no longer feeling pooped after going for a walk either. No excuse not to get out in the garden now, I guess
3. Moderate screen time Doing appallingly at this. I blame the Americans and their car-crash of an election. I may find it easier to look away now though.

And, not on the original list, omitted in a fit of absent-mindedness:
4. Do half-yearly financial review, and follow-up actions. All done. Kind of glad we did this before this morning's markets took their nosedive. With any luck things will have settled down by the next time I look in May.

splosh

Brava21
Lemon Pip

Postby Brava21 » November 9th, 2016, 10:21 am

Hello all

Ooh this is exciting, isn't it. Just a quick post to test out the new format (I am hopeless at IT stuff; it will probably take me ages to get used to it) and I will post in more detail later on.

In the meantime I shall share this anecdote. I woke up to an email from my brother, who lives in the US this morning. It was a sad face emoticon with a single word: 'sorry'.

I am not sure what he has to be sorry about personally, given that he lives in California which went with Clinton, then I wondered if perhaps he got a bit trollied and put his X in the wrong box or something. :D

It would be like him...

Brava x

PS Tortoise and Splosh, have you seen the FIRE thread over on Retirement Investing? Started by TheRIT. Really interesting reading.

doone100

Postby doone100 » November 9th, 2016, 12:18 pm

Buy Wallpaper, soft furnishings, bed and wardrobe for spare room (Mr Doone is decorating)
Continue using up freezer and store cupboard food to make room for Festive Fayre
Clear out Larder/Storecupboard
Get in to attic to find cards, gift wrap etc
Continue with the 8 week Blood Sugar Diet. I had a weekend offplan this past weekend so there will be some damage to undo
Buy new bathroom scales, mine died on Saturday. Any recommendations would be welcome.
Try not to spend too much at TORM (http://reenactorsmarket.co.uk/) this coming weekend
Provide numbers and menu choices for pre AGM lunch to the catering manager, chase those members yet to get back to me
Get through AGM on 19th Nov
Make xmas pud
make xmas cake(done)

I need to give myself a pep talk, I've been letting too much slide this month.

doone100

Postby doone100 » November 9th, 2016, 12:27 pm

testing

doone100

Postby doone100 » November 9th, 2016, 12:29 pm

testing

Tortoise1000
2 Lemon pips

Postby Tortoise1000 » November 9th, 2016, 12:55 pm

Yes it is. Ought to be on here really, this board is about planning ahead. They have changed the purpose of the Retirement board to include investing towards it for it as well as investing when you get there. Do you think FIRE should be over here? Or do you think that would make YTST too noisy?

T

Tortoise1000
2 Lemon pips

Postby Tortoise1000 » November 9th, 2016, 2:03 pm

Hallo Stonge. Thank you :-) Who were you on the Fool?

T

Tortoise1000
2 Lemon pips

Postby Tortoise1000 » November 9th, 2016, 6:11 pm

My goals were to

Decorate bedrooms 2 and 3 ready for the flooring to go down next week

The flooring will be fitted on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Plan some things to do out of the house on those four days

Find and retrieve my lifetime, decade and annual goals from TMF and make sure to save them, just in case.

I didn't think the decorating would be too bad. I underestimated the difficulty of painting north-facing rooms with light grey paint on cloudy days in November! The visibility is poor, and the days are exceedingly short. I was out all this morning, and by the time I'd got back and had lunch there was only an hour or two of useful painting time left. I had things planned for this Friday, Saturday and Sunday mornings, but I'm probably going to have to drop them and paint instead :-( Never mind, I am so looking forward to having the floor done next week.

Hey, this effortless italicizing is excellent, isn't it? Not so sure about the odd-looking smileys.

T

Wondergirly

Postby Wondergirly » November 9th, 2016, 8:00 pm

Well it is good to have a new home and wonderful to see so many familiar names. So, in the spirit of fresh starts I had better get on with some goals:

Health Top of the list because I had hip surgery in September and have been on crutches for 6 weeks. Rehab is going well so continue to work with my physio and look into some remedial Pilates. Continue to increase steps per day until I reach my 'normal' standard. Have a go at driving and test my emergency stop response! Seeing my surgeon in a couple of weeks and hoping he has a video of my op :shock:

Work Our limited company and my OH (as director) have been the subject of identity theft. No financial loss so far, but it has been a complete pita and caused a lot of work. Continue to monitor activity and have serious discussion about closing down the company.

Money Lots of discussions with OH to be had here and some major decisions to be made about income needs and sources of that income. Nothing urgent, so it will be on the back burner until January really, but need to have it simmering away in the background.

Home Planning permission for our master-plan (!) was granted which was great news, especially as the Parish Council objected and got us a bit worried. Now awaiting a report from our structural engineer, when he will calculate how to hold up the top of the house :) Keep reminding the architect to progress this, and when complete to produce the building regs drawings. We can then, finally, get builders in to quote. Hoping for a spring build.

Play No.1 son and DiL arriving on Friday for the weekend, nicely timed to co-incide with a local beer festival. Really looking forward to seeing them. Lunch with delightful friends arranged for the following week, so just need to plan something pleasant for the last week and that will be me all socialled up for the month :D (yes 'socialled' is a word, I just made it up.) Don't want to do much more as December is already looking a bit full on.

W

Wondergirly

Postby Wondergirly » November 9th, 2016, 8:05 pm

Just a reminder to my fellow YTST Lemonfools:

It occurred to me today that I have quite a number of posts saved under the heading 'reply later'. Not that I ever intended to reply to them, but it was a convenient way to save posts that I thought were particularly useful, for one reason or another.

I am going to set aside a couple of hours this weekend to sift through them and copy any that I particularly want to save.

W

Brava21
Lemon Pip

Postby Brava21 » November 10th, 2016, 9:14 am

Re the FIRE posts, Tortoise, having that topic over here (perhaps as a subfolder so as not to distract us? I am sure I saw that stooz had set a subfolder up somewhere else) is certainly a thought. I was just really interested by it and it struck me that for a set of financial forums, I don't think I had really read any threads which were focused solely on FIRE. I may well have missed these, mind you :) - though I popped onto the Pensions and Retirement Investing boards very infrequently for a look around, I could not see the sort of posts focused on FIRE that you would see elsewhere (you know, MMM, Living a FI, and so on).

And I do find them interesting and would contribute - and also ask advice. But I wasn't suggesting they should be here, I would not do that sort of toe treading :)

I am also painting a north facing room in light grey this week - it's my kitchen. It is going very slowly - I thought it would be good activity to aid recovery but I do not seem to approaching it with much enthusiasm. i lost the light completely mid afternoon yesterday so I need to see if there are any touch ups needed today. Fortunately it is sunnier here today so that should not be too difficult. Best with yours!

Right, time to stop putting it off!

Brava

Brava21
Lemon Pip

Postby Brava21 » November 10th, 2016, 9:15 am

By the way I am not sure about the smiley faces either. The forum puts them in for you!!

Tortoise1000
2 Lemon pips

Postby Tortoise1000 » November 10th, 2016, 9:43 am

You can turn the smileys off, on your Profile, but I can't see how to make it work :-)

T

futuresaver101
Lemon Pip

Postby futuresaver101 » November 10th, 2016, 8:18 pm

Hi,

Whoop whoop ! A new home :)

I guess my November goal is (still) complete my first draft of my professional registration. My mentor hasn't got back to me yet (I'm trying to avoid thinking that's bad news)

I'd also like to sort through all of my Aberdeen notes this weekend, the conservatory has started to build up clutter. The rest of the house is looking pretty good though...

But professional registration first!

FS101
P.S. There's a tab for disabling smilies just below this post, will click to see if it works
P.P.S. Shall we "divvy up" downloading and saving the YTST threads (we each take a few months) ? Has anyone worked out how to do it yet ?
P.P.P.S. I've just noticed we can add attachments to our posts, save them. Maybe that's a way of storing the previous posts?

PennyUK

Postby PennyUK » November 10th, 2016, 8:48 pm

Mr PennyUK has worked out a way of auto downloading all my posts, but it will involve him spending several hours testing and debugging it first. I'm not sure I could persuade him to save all the YTST threads, although I have started manually saving the ones in which I posted.

For those who like command line interfaces, it involves using the wget command.

muddle

Postby muddle » November 11th, 2016, 1:21 am

Glad to see many of the posters I recognise from the old board are here - I looked to see the last goals I had posted but it seems to be about a year ago - oops. I will start with new vigour here.

Family - the olds are causing a bit of local difficulty with FIL crrently in hospital and the others all in poor shape. This is taking up lots of my time.
Goal - remember better times and try to get the best for all. Cheer the little people so they don't get too worried.

Work - keep cv up to date as I wait so see how changes to management are going to impact on me.
Update cv and keep cpd up to date.

Health - suffering a bit with a sore knee
Goal - visit doc again if not resolved by month end. Lose weight (may help with knee)

Fun - plan logistics of getting to Christmas socials - find babysitters, book taxis etc - need to sort this...
Goal - make phone calls re baby sitting

Financial - finances took an unexpected hit this month as I have had to scrap my car as uneconomic to repair. I have bought a new one but now need to think about how to refill this hole in my savings.
Goal - look at bank accounts to see if worth switching to get more interest. Review HYP as I may have to lower subscriptions until after Christmas.

That will do for now. Hope this board flourishes - I would miss it if I didn't hear about T's skirting boards etc.

pancake101
Lemon Pip

Postby pancake101 » November 11th, 2016, 2:03 pm

Oooo How nice it is to see you all here.

You will be pleased to note that I have entered my tax figures - quite by accident as it turned out. A strange online quirk!

Lots of smilies to brighten up our posts too. Here, no plans to make this month as life has taken over once again.

Heres to a bright future.

P

Lottie

Postby Lottie » November 11th, 2016, 2:35 pm

Wow! Shiny new board.
It's almost enough to get me posting again. I've been mostly lurking in recent years

Lottie
(LottieLegram on TMF)

Return to “Your Tomorrow Starts Today”