Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Planning for Christmas

Think it, Plan it, Do it
Howard
Lemon Quarter

Planning for Christmas

Postby Howard » October 2nd, 2021, 12:11 am

Have just booked a supermarket delivery for Christmas week.

A chance to avoid a last minute rush - perhaps learning from the petrol crisis.

Worth doing now?

regards

Howard

AWOL
Lemon Slice

Re: Planning for Christmas

Postby AWOL » October 2nd, 2021, 5:00 pm

Although the irony is it's people bringing forward purchases that create the demand/supply mismatch that leads to shortages :lol:

Having said that I may just check if the slots are available :twisted:

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » October 2nd, 2021, 11:48 pm

AWOL wrote:Although the irony is it's people bringing forward purchases that create the demand/supply mismatch that leads to shortages :lol:

Having said that I may just check if the slots are available :twisted:

I guess it's very helpful for supermarkets as it allows them to plan ahead knowing two months in advance what customers are wanting delivered a day or two before Christmas. Especially as one has to pay in advance which must be helpful for their cashflow. Of course one can change the order at the last minute but probably most of us will only make slight adjustments just before the delivery is due.

Looking today, I see that the Christmas week delivery slots are filling quite fast.

regards

Howard

AWOL
Lemon Slice

Postby AWOL » October 3rd, 2021, 8:03 am

They don't appear to be available for Tesco. Which supermarket are you looking at?

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » October 3rd, 2021, 9:19 am

AWOL wrote:They don't appear to be available for Tesco. Which supermarket are you looking at?

Waitrose.

But I have stocked up on Champagne from Aldi. 8-)

regards

Howard

Loup321
Lemon Slice

Postby Loup321 » October 4th, 2021, 2:40 pm

But even if you book the slot, fill the basket, and check out, if they don't have stuff in stock on the day they will send a substitute or nothing. So that turkey which was big enough for the whole family of 14, will be substituted with a chicken that will just about feed 4, and the Christmas crackers will be substituted with biscuits for cheese (but they won't think to put in any cheese). Cranberry sauce will not be sent, frozen chips instead of the Aunt Bessie's roast potatoes, sugar snap peas instead of sprouts, and no Christmas pudding. Enjoy!

I wanted "casserole pork" once (basically cubes of pork, suitable for putting in a casserole), and they sent a "pork sausage casserole" ready meal, which was really not suitable! And another time they sent an orange instead of a lime, but that wasn't even a substitution - they just picked the wrong fruit from the shelf!

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » October 4th, 2021, 3:40 pm

Loup321 wrote:But even if you book the slot, fill the basket, and check out, if they don't have stuff in stock on the day they will send a substitute or nothing. So that turkey which was big enough for the whole family of 14, will be substituted with a chicken that will just about feed 4, and the Christmas crackers will be substituted with biscuits for cheese (but they won't think to put in any cheese). Cranberry sauce will not be sent, frozen chips instead of the Aunt Bessie's roast potatoes, sugar snap peas instead of sprouts, and no Christmas pudding. Enjoy!

I wanted "casserole pork" once (basically cubes of pork, suitable for putting in a casserole), and they sent a "pork sausage casserole" ready meal, which was really not suitable! And another time they sent an orange instead of a lime, but that wasn't even a substitution - they just picked the wrong fruit from the shelf!

Are you a Waitrose customer?

We've never had silly substitutions from Waitrose. Nor from Ocado or Tesco who we use less frequently. Occasionally we reject the substituted item. What is nice is that Waitrose often give us items we have ordered free of charge if they are close to the use by date.

To be honest, we haven't ordered our beef joint for Christmas for this last minute delivery. Nor anything vital which we will have bought in advance, just the volume items like milk, butter etc and a few Christmas treats which won't matter if they are unavailable.

Given Waitrose's performance in the past, during lockdown, panic buying etc I'm expecting them to deliver virtually everything we've ordered. It should save us having to visit a crowded supermarket in Christmas week. We'll also support our local farm shop as they claim that all their fresh produce is produced less than 10 miles away.

regards

Howard

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » October 5th, 2021, 5:06 pm

To be honest I never understand the mass insanity that seems to descend on the UK at Christmas.

Most shops are closed for 48 hours at most with plenty only closed for 24. And yet people are buying food like some catastrophe has been announced and this will be the last chance they have to buy anything for a month.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 7th, 2021, 8:54 am

AF62 wrote:Most shops are closed for 48 hours at most with plenty only closed for 24. And yet people are buying food like some catastrophe has been announced and this will be the last chance they have to buy anything for a month.

Same logic as the petrol buying panic. The prospect of getting stuck on a lonely roadside 20 miles from home is scary because you can't negotiate with it, so people go far into excess to neutralise that possibility.

But that's nothing compared with the prospect of having to face christmas day without the sprouts, or mother's bottle of sedative gin in the kitchen, or the special fresh low-mileage vegan food for daughter, or the only foods that the flipping picky kids will eat. For better or worse, we've built up this cultural thing about the traditional christmas spread - or rather, Charles Dickens did - and, if any part of it was missing on the day, our civilisation would collapse and our extended families would collapse into chaos and anarchy and mutual vendettas, and we'd never get over it. Hence our willingness to queue for two hours, and get into fights about the last pack of pigs in blankets, and catch a dose of festive covid amid the throng. :lol:

I'll tell you what would really kill Christmas. A broadband blackout, that's what. :shock: About ten years ago, our entire village lost its telephones for a week after some twerp hard-wired his Sky box into the mains, and we were all plunged back into the 1970s. God, it was awful. Except that the music was better, of course.....

BJ

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » October 7th, 2021, 9:28 am

Got me fish fingers and beans in as usual.

scottnsilky
Lemon Slice

Postby scottnsilky » October 13th, 2021, 2:45 pm

CliffEdge

That about sums up my Christmas feasting, but I would add a loaf of bread, a bottle of Red Stag and a bottle of Madeira.

Hic

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 13th, 2021, 2:51 pm

CliffEdge wrote:Got me fish fingers and beans in as usual.

Don't forget some plain crackers... and the ketchup :lol:

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » October 13th, 2021, 3:16 pm

Last month I ordered two bottles of gin and two of rum specifically for Christmas - now how do I not drink 2 bottles of gin and one of rum before Christmas?

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 13th, 2021, 3:28 pm

Don't open them , there you go ... easy :lol:

Return to “Your Tomorrow Starts Today”