Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

2017 Goes Marching On

Think it, Plan it, Do it
splosh
Lemon Pip

2017 Goes Marching On

Postby splosh » March 1st, 2017, 9:04 am

I am presumptuously striding into the new month as the sun is shining and the energy is starting to return and there are Thing to be Done.

As the sap rises and the daffodils nod their encouragement, it is a good time of year to crack on with bringing our Plans nearer to Fruition.

It also appears to be a good month for Gratuitous Capitalisation, which I had not hitherto realised :-)

Do come and join me stepping purposefully into the next stage of the year.

splosh

splosh
Lemon Pip

Re: 2017 Goes Marching On

Postby splosh » March 1st, 2017, 9:13 am

And I wanted to get the thread started in time to post my goals before I get on with one of them later this morning :-)

Work
1. 1 coaching gig
2. 3 mentoring sessions
3. Prepare and deliver 1 workshop
4. Attend course (this is one of the 2017 year goals)
5. 1st stage of planning for event in July

Play
1. Meet up with local friends x 3 (first one planned for about 45 mins from now)
2. Go to local history talk
3. Find another event/activity to do for fun

Home/Health/Family
1. Plant seeds
2. See brother
3. Start executing plan for re-organising our finances (stage 1 before the end of the FY, stage 2 after)
4. Get bikes out

Other
1. Make progress on website for org I volunteer for (FROG)
2. Go on protest march (so I will be literally Marching On for one day this month)

Right, that looks like a reasonably balanced itinerary. Time to take the first steps :-)

splosh

Tortoise1000
2 Lemon pips

Postby Tortoise1000 » March 2nd, 2017, 7:59 am

Thank you for getting us moving, splosh. I shall stop pretending I am going to achieve all my February goals and make some new resolutions.

T

futuresaver101
Lemon Pip

Postby futuresaver101 » March 4th, 2017, 5:53 pm

Hi all,

I second that view, T. I too shall stop pretending that I am going to achieve all my February goals :D

I think I'm going to keep it simple this month. Noting T's resolve ("I am undeterred") when commenting on her SW move to a new location (further away), I too am going to be...

"Undeterred"

What is deterring me ? All the kerfuffle, confusion, tinged with a bit of nastiness associated with the re-organisation. I'm starting to lose (well, heck, have already lost) focus on my longer term plans for this new-ish job (and new-ish sector). It really is quite hard to keep a sense of perspective with all of this, but rise above I must.

Following T's lead, this month, I will be

- undeterred in my plans for senior professional registration (and associated internal and external company profiles)
- undeterred in my intention to keep this job and get a "good" in my appraisal (mid-March)
- undeterred in my focus to get reasonable (and achievable) set of objectives for the next 12 months
- undeterred in my ambition for a senior role in less than 5 years
- undeterred in my desire for a good work/life balance

I will be turning "mid/late 40s" in less than 10 days time, and it feels important to me that I have a strong core (muscles, and mental muscle) to be able to withstand all the buffeting that is going on.

I shall report in on a weekly basis, wish me luck !

FS101

DeBriefed

Postby DeBriefed » March 6th, 2017, 12:08 am

Weekly reporting! That is brave.

Baby arrived on Friday so it's going to be a busy and unpredictable month for me, but one with lots of help available so I hope to still get some stuff done beyond feeding/changing.

1. Clean at least the living room windows (spending longer looking out of them and they are grimy from winter still).

2. Clear small bedside table in my room for baby changing stuff and clothes (most of his stuff is in my daughter's room but don't want to have to be in and out of there in the middle of the night).

3. Do Trans-Mongolian photo album (carried over from Feb).

4. Go to Paolozzi exhibition.

5. Go to see one baby film screening.

6. Do kids birth dates picture for my friend.

That's plenty I think, as I'm sure lots of other jobs I haven't thought of will pop up! There is a fair amount I can do on the computer here or in bite size pieces so hopefully I'm not being too ambitious!

DeB

doone100

Postby doone100 » March 6th, 2017, 1:47 pm

Baby arrived on Friday

Many congratulations, Debriefed please give baby a cuddle from me.

Belated goal setting...

Carried over from Feb.
Hand exercises
Kitchen declutter and clean
One Note
Garden clean up.

Home
My Mum is coming to visit for for a few days around Mother's Day which is lovely but means I have to to much more than the kitchen in March. My youngest sister and a niece are coming down on Mother's day too. Much housework is needed to get the domicile company ready.

Health
Continue with diet, I have a wedding in May and have the perfect outfit but I can't fit into it at present.

Finance
Call mortgage provider
Focus on discretionary spend

Work
Lots of follow ups need to be done by mid month to move a project forward.

Hobby
Committee meetingDone
Committee meeting minutes.
Matters arising from committee meeting.
Planning and Prep for 1st event of the year next month

Sewing
New gown

I

Wondergirly

Postby Wondergirly » March 6th, 2017, 5:41 pm

Very much enjoyed the Gratuitous Capitalisation splosh, and congratulations to DeBriefed :D
Still a bit in limbo here, as we wait on builders and continue to make decisions, but always things to be done:

Health
Continue with my 1000 mile challenge

Weight training three times per week

Hip is rather sore so do what the Physio tells me to do when I see her mid-March

Attend mammogram appointment

Work
Make a start on the company accounts

Continue monitoring for fraudulent activity

Close surplus to requirements bank account, cannot wait any longer for Someone Else to do their Thing

Money
Set new budget for 2016/17 financial year

Tidy up loose ends for 2015/16

Pray for a smooth broadband/telephone line switchover

Home
Continue negotiating building quotes. I like to think this will be done by the end of the month but by Easter is looking more realistic

Again, get 'stuff' down to a minimum. Continue to declutter clothes and also sort toiletries etc.

Continue in the front garden; knock the weeding on the head before nature really gets going and decide whether to seed or turf where needed

Play
No plans made but probably need to go to visit family at some point this month

Continue attending 'knit and natter'

Plenty of walking when the weather is amenable

Continue with my 'temperature blanket' and crochet a new shopping bag

W

Tortoise1000
2 Lemon pips

Postby Tortoise1000 » March 7th, 2017, 9:31 am

Congratulations on the new arrival, DeBriefed! Kudos for timing it neatly just after the end of February and getting straight on with posting goals for March. Exemplary planning for YTST :-)

I have been slow posting goals because I have been struggling for practical reasons lately. I’ve been getting spells of losing my balance that have got gradually more frequent. My eyesight has got worse too, and I am waiting to get contact lenses fitted before taking the balance problem to the doc, hoping those will sort it out. The contact lenses are taking forever; it’s been a year now, trying different ones, sending off to the States for cutting edge new types etc. Last week’s pair still didn’t work so it’s another wait this month. Frustrating! It’s all giving me a feeling of being cut off and things being difficult to do. The walking, for example, is harder now I have to concentrate more on balance. I think that is what is making me feel somewhat overwhelmed by tasks, most of which don’t have a deadline and therefore tend to accumulate. This won’t do! A short but decisive list is required:

Write a list of all these jobs that are bothering me
Do one per day
Keep attending SW meetings
Keep going for walks and logging them on Strava.
Support TJ as he prepares to take the Pre Parachute Selection course (P Company) in April. Encourage him to do some Maths as well :-)

T

futuresaver101
Lemon Pip

Postby futuresaver101 » March 7th, 2017, 9:58 pm

Hugs for you T, that's a tough situation to be in

FS101
P.S. Here's a few vibes to help you <<££$$$%^%%&&*((&&>>, they might also help with that Premium Bond goal too?

splosh
Lemon Pip

Postby splosh » March 8th, 2017, 2:24 pm

A week in already, you say? Where did that go?

Congrats on your new baby, DeBriefed. Hope you are both thriving.

Time for a quick check-in...

Work
1. 1 coaching gig
Done
2. 3 mentoring sessions First one tonight
3. Prepare and deliver 1 workshop Preparation done, all ready for this weekend
4. Attend course (this is one of the 2017 year goals) Next week
5. 1st stage of planning for event in July Oh, yes, I must get onto this

Play
1. Meet up with local friends x 3 (first one planned for about 45 mins from now)
Hmmph, well that first one didn't happen as my friend forgot. But I did get together with another friend for a really good caatch-up on Friday, so some progress.
2. Go to local history talk Next week
3. Find another event/activity to do for fun Not yet...

Home/Health/Family
1. Plant seeds
Not started yet, though I do now have all the seeds I plan to plant
2. See brother Friday
3. Start executing plan for re-organising our finances (stage 1 before the end of the FY, stage 2 after) Started. More to do this month though.
4. Get bikes out Not yet

Other
I have been procrastinating this one like billyo
2. Go on protest march (so I will be literally Marching On for one day this month) Later this month. Have booked train tickets already.

Going all right so far then...

splosh

doone100

Postby doone100 » March 8th, 2017, 5:17 pm

Week one

Carried over from Feb.
Hand exercises
Kitchen declutter and clean
One Note
Garden clean up.A lot done over the last few days

Home
My Mum is coming to visit for for a few days around Mother's Day which is lovely but means I have to to much more than the kitchen in March. My youngest sister and a niece are coming down on Mother's day too. Much housework is needed to get the domicile company ready.

Health
Continue with diet, I have a wedding in May and have the perfect outfit but I can't fit into it at present. going in the wrong direction

Finance
Call mortgage providerdone and as an added bonus I checked my NI contribtion history
Focus on discretionary spend

Work
Lots of follow ups need to be done by mid month to move a project forward. All follow up emails sent

Hobby
Committee meetingDone
Committee meeting minutes.
Matters arising from committee meeting.
Planning and Prep for 1st event of the year next month3 meals prepared and in freezer

Sewing
New gown

Tortoise1000
2 Lemon pips

Postby Tortoise1000 » March 12th, 2017, 12:30 pm

Thank you FS. Feeling more chipper today. The imbalance hasn’t gone but I feel fitter otherwise.

The list of tasks is written and I have ticked off eight.

I tried on some shrunk clothes yesterday and found they have un-shrunk. Good! That saves clothes shopping. Plus I can declutter some too-large ones, making the overall number of clothes in the house fewer.

Good news from TJ , he has passed Mod B! The second year of university officer training, final exams yesterday. ! Now he can concentrate on the phys for P Company and get on with his application to Sandhurst. Also possibly do a spot of Maths. I am trying to help him with that amidst all these interesting military distractions. Next distraction is pieces of new kit required for P Company. I shall solve that with a grant. I am also thinking about some sort of food parcel, to supplement the takeaways

Speaking of nutrition I have been reading about ‘bone broth’, the new super food, here

https://kefirise.com/gss-habit-3-drink-bone-broth/

That is just what I have been doing all my life!

And my Mum before me, and I have even taught TJ to do it. Contemporaneous evidence here:
http://boards.fool.co.uk/can-you-explai ... t=username

and passim in my freezer lists. I always thought boiling up the chicken carcass was rather humble, a poor man’s version of the proper Cordon Bleu stock made with a whole bird. Makes a nice soup base and good for cooking pasta and couscous in. But definitely not something to boast of except in LBYM terms. Now I find it is the elixir of life! Having read that this morning I am feeling especially chipper, because it means as a Mum I did one thing right; I did feed TJ on fashionable home-made bone broth. I shall point that out to him :-)

T

amh4

Postby amh4 » March 13th, 2017, 11:01 am

Good morning,

First of all congratulations to Debriefed on the birth of her baby, and also to TJ for passing his exams. Good thoughts to all those who are under par in whatever way, and I hope that mornings like this morning help to make the world seem a little easier.

I cannot believe that we are already a third of a way through the month, and I have posted nothing, so eyes down and look in - here is my to do list for the month.

Family - I have seen two children and assorted grandchildren since our return at the beginning of the month, with more planned visists in hand. We shall all be meeting on the 25th as we cannot all manage the actual Sunday of Mothering Sunday. I need to add in a visit to my brother, who is not at all well.

Work - this is on an upward curve since I worked out what I was doing wrong. This had the affect of bringing in more work, but on a good day, it is also bringing in more prosperity! I don't think I can have the latter without the former, and I don't want to be feeling that I am working only to meet the requirements of the Inlad Revenue, so this is the only way that I can see.

Weight and Health - I saw the Yoga guy last Friday, and was totally blown away by his positivity and enthusiasm for what I can already do, and what I will be able to do. He told me that he was amazed that I am as mobile as I am, given the history of my broken bones and health problems. I cannot tell you how good I felt about that - I can see that my habit of never cutting myself any slack has caused me to feel much less able than I am in reality. Yay - now I have to ensure I do not swing too far the other way (another bad habit of mine, no moderation button, me!) On the weight front, I am keeping to my regime fairly well, not counting the days when life just goes to pot, and needs total straightening out) and I HAVE FOUND MY WEDDING OUTFIT!! I love it, and I feel as though as ton has been lifted off me, which no doubt, is causing me to feel more optimistic than the tape measure believes is right, but I just don't care - I will look good on my daughter's wedding day

Garden - I have found a young woman who has just packed in her work in order to live her passion, which is gardening. She is fab, full of enthusiasm and ideas, and so my garden now seems more of an adventure than a chore. All the seeds and summer bulbs have arrived and will need planting up, and the veg beds need getting ready for planting the new year's vegetables. Tomatoes and peppers are in the propogator, potatoes are chitting happily on the windowsill and this month the dahlias and tubers will go into the greenhouse in big pots ready to start into growth. So much to do, and yet somehow it will get done, partly because this month is so full of promise of coming warmth. Now I need to find someone to doing the moving for me - something that is beyond me on anything other than an emergency basis.

Leisure - A new book to read for the Book Group - "Being Mortal" - which is about our need to take into account that with ageing comes the possibility of mortality being one of the options on the table as our physical selves deteriorate. It has always been so, and yet so often, accepting death is considered a failure rather than a necessary step in existence. A tough subject, and I wonder how we will manage with it? I now have my daily yoga practice to keep up with and there is one more canal art session this month. But over everything else, this month the garden must come into this part of my thinking, as its needs have increased, and I really want to help it be its best self.

Finances - work out which shares I want to invest this year's into, and then move money around to enusre that I have the liquidity to do so. Finances feel a little like playing with lots of boxes at this time of year, rearranging them into their best positions to enable me to encourage sufficient wealth to me, to continue living as I do.

So that's my month planned. Apologies if I sound very hippie this morning - the sun has intoxicated me!

Take care of yourselves

Anne-Marie

amh4

Postby amh4 » March 13th, 2017, 12:44 pm

ps The finances paragraph should have mentioned the word ISA - otherwise you need to be clairvoyant to work out what I am talking about!

Anne-Marie :?

splosh
Lemon Pip

Postby splosh » March 17th, 2017, 11:09 am

It's been quite a busy week, so I'm hoping there will be some items to tick off my list...

Work
1. 1 coaching gig
Done
2. 3 mentoring sessions One down, two to go
3. Prepare and deliver 1 workshop Done, all went well.
4. Attend course (this is one of the 2017 year goals) Done. Very stimulating content, lots of new ideas and skills to play with, and so relaxing to be the learner rather than the teacher for a change.
5. 1st stage of planning for event in July Everything that needs to happen in March has happened. We could do more now, but don't need to.

Play
1. Meet up with local friends x 3
2 out of 3 met with (one on the second attempt), and a date in the diary for the 3rd.
2. Go to local history talk This was a bit of a disappointment, rather chaotically presented and didn't say much we didn't know already. Oh well, enjoyed going out for a beer afterwards.
3. Find another event/activity to do for fun I've had a nice meal out with one group of friends, meeting another friend for dinner tomorrow as she's in town, and have a visit to a local historic building booked in tomorrow. So feeling quite well entertained one way and another.

Home/Health/Family
1. Plant seeds
Yes! And some have germinated! It is officially Spring!
2. See brother Yes, we had a nice time.
3. Start executing plan for re-organising our finances (stage 1 before the end of the FY, stage 2 after) Started. More to do this month though.
4. Get bikes out Not yet. It is unfortunate that the perfect day to do this, weather-wise, was one of the two I was stuck inside a building 100 miles from home all day. Ah well, there is more month available yet to do this.

Other
I am running out of more urgent things to do first, so may end up finally doing this next week.
2. Go on protest march (so I will be literally Marching On for one day this month) Later this month.

Hope all is going well with my fellow YTSTers
splosh

futuresaver101
Lemon Pip

Postby futuresaver101 » March 17th, 2017, 7:14 pm

Hi all,

Having stated at the beginning of this month that I would report in weekly, I am now reporting in weekly (cough cough, a week is now defined as having 15 days :D )

I remain undeterred.

And am also very happy because I got a "good" in my appraisal ! (This isn't "good" as in above average, it's the middle of the road average, which as my boss says, the vast majority of the company gets). I am very happy with this, it means that I've repaired the damage from last year's project and it puts me in a solid position for any upcoming "restructurings" (although, as I have been there less than two years, I don't have a legal leg to stand on re redundancies :))

But, who cares. I've achieved one of my YTST objectives. Now, as to that Fellowship application... :lol:

FS101

futuresaver101
Lemon Pip

Postby futuresaver101 » March 23rd, 2017, 9:29 pm

Hello,

Anyone alive out there ;) ?

Was up at 0430 this morning, had to travel to a one day conference. Only really started writing the presentation on Tuesday !

Must go check what I said I would do this month at some point. But not tonight, it's time to go to sleep :D

FS101

Tortoise1000
2 Lemon pips

Postby Tortoise1000 » March 24th, 2017, 2:18 pm

Yes, I am alive, FS! Well done on your appraisal, and your heroic early-morningness .

Congratulations on finding the wedding outfit , amb4. It is always such a relief when that ghastly obstacle is removed.

All OKl here. TJ is into the final straight of preparation for P Company. He has bought his maroon beret and a mound of other kit, which I have reimbursed. He passed the medical on Wednesday. There was a physical fitness assessment this morning, a 1.5 mile run, shouldn’t have been a problem. The Paras have to do it in under 9:40 and he did it in 8:00 the other week. A ten mile loaded run tomorrow, but again he has been practising with his mate H. They have to do 10 miles with a 16kg load plus water and rifle in under 1 hour 50. He has done it with 25kg in 1hour 48. There are 60 candidates on the course this year apparently, but only 6 selected from Wales. So the pressure is on! As regards the final year of his degree, I believe he is finding time to attend the odd lecture.

I did the list of 30-odd tasks and ticked off about half of them. Then I re-wrote it and started again. Feeling less harried than at the beginning of the month, though there are still plenty left. They are rather assorted, that’s what’s harrying. It would be easier doing one sort of thing.

Attended SW this morning. 1.5 pounds on! That is not supposed to happen! Perhaps I will adopt TJ’s training regime.

T

futuresaver101
Lemon Pip

Postby futuresaver101 » March 24th, 2017, 8:17 pm

Hi,

T - it did feel pretty heroic at 0430. I treated myself to a pain au chocolate and a bowl of latte at St Pancras, and then got on train (the 1st class advance singles were pretty cheap !) to find they offered me a bacon butty :)

Now, as to my undeterred status report

- Have got the fellowship application to final "final draft" status, just out for final review. I've got to the next level of expertise in interviewing other people for professional registration as well

- Have got that "good", now to keep the job

- Objectives are as yet undrafted, because no-one knows what we are supposed to do in this new department

- Focus on senior role in 5 years ? Well, I have got a 5 year plan :)

- And as for work life balance, I started work at 0845, had a 1 1/4 hr lunch break and left work at 1615. And went to the gym. (don't worry, I had made up the hours earlier on in the week :))

Now, I am going to unwind this weekend, good and proper !

FS101

splosh
Lemon Pip

Postby splosh » March 28th, 2017, 9:00 am

Popping in to check on progress while there is a little time left to deal with any omissions...

Work
1. 1 coaching gig
2. 3 mentoring sessions
3. Prepare and deliver 1 workshop
4. Attend course (this is one of the 2017 year goals)
5. 1st stage of planning for event in July

All done!

Play
2. Go to local history talk
3. Find another event/activity to do for fun

Likewise. It has ended up quite a sociable month one way and another

Home/Health/Family
1. Plant seeds
2. See brother
3. Start executing plan for re-organising our finances (stage 1 before the end of the FY, stage 2 after)
4. Get bikes out

The bike has had only had a token outing to pump up the tyres and check all is working okay. So far I have managed to be elsewhere on all the days that would have been perfect cycling weather. We'll see what the rest of this week brings.

All else done, plus a trip to see my mother added. That was originally planned for next month, but we brought it forward so I could heklp her with some ISA planning while I'm down there.

Other
I have actually made some progress here. I am now genuinely stuck at a place where I really need input from others, or, failing that, an understanding that they don't cavil about what they get if I have to carry on without their help. I am attempting to set up a meeting to this end.
2. Go on protest march (so I will be literally Marching On for one day this month) Done. Pretty amazing occasion one way and another. And followed by afternoon tea with some friends made on TMF

Feels like a long time since the start of the month, must have been busy. The next two months are even busier, but a lot of that is fun stuff, so not complaning!

splosh

Return to “Your Tomorrow Starts Today”