Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Best way to get exposure to short dated Bonds

Gilts, bonds, and interest-bearing shares
Quint
2 Lemon pips

Best way to get exposure to short dated Bonds

Postby Quint » February 21st, 2018, 11:07 am

I often see referenece to holding a percentage of short dated bonds in a portfolio.

What is the best way for a retail investor to get this exposure. Holding direct or via a bond fund?

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: Best way to get exposure to short dated Bonds

Postby AleisterCrowley » February 21st, 2018, 11:13 am

I'm absolutely NOT an expert, but is this the sort of thing you mean?
https://www.ishares.com/uk/individual/e ... -ucits-etf
WHY ERNS?
Diversified exposure to very short maturity fixed and floating rate bonds issued in GBP
Direct investment in corporate bonds across sectors (industrials, utilities and financial companies) as well as in quasi-government bonds
GBP denominated investment grade bond exposure

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » February 21st, 2018, 11:28 am

An example might be

(wait 60 secs for the TLF mice to pant harder)

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/inve ... ion-shares

regards, dspp

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » February 21st, 2018, 11:43 am

Quint wrote: Holding direct or via a bond fund?

It depends on how much work you want to do. By their very nature short term holdings mature and have to be reinvested. A bond fund will do this for you, at a price of course.

Quint
2 Lemon pips

Postby Quint » February 21st, 2018, 12:13 pm

Alaric wrote:
Quint wrote: Holding direct or via a bond fund?

It depends on how much work you want to do. By their very nature short term holdings mature and have to be reinvested. A bond fund will do this for you, at a price of course.

Exactly. Work Vs cost. For most would it be worth it or does it depend on the value of bond exposure.

Quint
2 Lemon pips

Postby Quint » February 21st, 2018, 12:16 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:I'm absolutely NOT an expert, but is this the sort of thing you mean?
WHY ERNS?
Diversified exposure to very short maturity fixed and floating rate bonds issued in GBP
Direct investment in corporate bonds across sectors (industrials, utilities and financial companies) as well as in quasi-government bonds

Does this not provide anything other than somewhere to hold cash, at a small cost. No yield and little capital value fluctuation.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » February 21st, 2018, 12:29 pm

Quint wrote:Does this not provide anything other than somewhere to hold cash, at a small cost. No yield and little capital value fluctuation.

At current levels of interest rates, what more can be expected from short dated bonds?

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » February 21st, 2018, 12:35 pm

Quint wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:I'm absolutely NOT an expert, but is this the sort of thing you mean?
WHY ERNS?

Does this not provide anything other than somewhere to hold cash, at a small cost. No yield and little capital value fluctuation.

It does provide a yield, just not very much- as you'd expect from short bonds in a low rate environment. I'm sure you could get more (and potentially lose more) with a basket of lower rated/longer term bonds

Quint
2 Lemon pips

Postby Quint » February 21st, 2018, 1:45 pm

Alaric wrote:
Quint wrote:Does this not provide anything other than somewhere to hold cash, at a small cost. No yield and little capital value fluctuation.

At current levels of interest rates, what more can be expected from short dated bonds?

Just wanted confirmation that i was reading this right. Once costs have been removed i think i get a similar return from cash and premium bonds with less risk.

I have a very small amount in a strategic bond fund.

Which is what i do currently with circa 10% of my portfolio with the rest in equities. I think i will stick with this for the time being.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » February 21st, 2018, 2:08 pm

Quint wrote:
Alaric wrote:

Just wanted confirmation that i was reading this right. Once costs have been removed i think i get a similar return from cash and premium bonds with less risk.

Which is what i do currently with circa 10% of my portfolio with the rest in equities. I think i will stick with this for the time being.

Re the "less risk" bit -

By being in cash + premium bonds your 10% reserve is 100% exposed to GBP risk. By choosing a bond allocation thoughtfully you could reduce / eliminate this GBP risk. If you think through the circumstances in which your 10% reserve might be called into play then you can decide whether this would be a helpful thing. It depends on your circumstances I think.

regards, dspp

Quint
2 Lemon pips

Postby Quint » February 21st, 2018, 2:21 pm

dspp wrote:
Quint wrote:
Alaric wrote:

Re the "less risk" bit -

By being in cash + premium bonds your 10% reserve is 100% exposed to GBP risk. By choosing a bond allocation thoughtfully you could reduce / eliminate this GBP risk. If you think through the circumstances in which your 10% reserve might be called into play then you can decide whether this would be a helpful thing. It depends on your circumstances I think.

regards, dspp

I guess the less risk would refer to risk of loss of capital. I appreciate that the real value would be eroded by inflation, but i do not believe a short dated bond etf would fare any better.

My circumstances afford quite a bit of flexibility, hence the relatively small amout of non equities.

Thanks for the replies.

Quint

Quint
2 Lemon pips

Postby Quint » February 22nd, 2018, 8:50 am

1nv35t wrote:
Rather than looking to bolster rewards from 'safe' (bonds), better to just reduce exposure to those and increase stock exposure if that is your desire (take the risk on the equity side, not on the bond side).

That is what i do currently and i think how i will carry on for the time being.

Return to “Gilts and Bonds”