Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Learning about investments in bonds

Gilts, bonds, and interest-bearing shares
TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Re: Learning about investments in bonds

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » March 22nd, 2018, 1:01 pm

Hi all,

First of all, I may appear somewhat less knowledgeable than I did yesterday, as this is the 'real me'! My husband was posting on my behalf and he has a better grasp on the idea of bonds than I have, so apologies if it seems that I'm asking more basic questions!

Have been looking at bonds on HL site, and came across this Anglian Water one (just for an example):

http://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/a/anglian-water-6.875-2023

The Fundamental Data section shows both the denomination size and minimum initial investment as being £1000. Does this simply relate to purchases of the bond which were made when the bonds were first released back in 1998? Presumably I could buy a single one for £127.15 today if I so wished?

It also says that the 'coupon type' is a variable coupon, but the 'structure' is a fixed income/fixed rate bond........forgive my lack of understanding, but aren't the terms contradicting each other?!

If I was to buy today and hold them until the redemption date of August 2023, what would my earnings from the bonds likely to be? Would any of you be able to show me an easy to follow worked example (what with me being the less knowledgeable one in our household!) please?

The running yield is considerably higher than the National Grid example, and there are figures for the modified duration and gross redemption yield, which are absent from the NG info, could someone explain to me what these terms mean too?

Thanks in advance,

(The Real) Mel ;)

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » March 24th, 2018, 12:36 pm

Melanie wrote:If I was to buy today and hold them until the redemption date of August 2023, what would my earnings from the bonds likely to be? Would any of you be able to show me an easy to follow worked example (what with me being the less knowledgeable one in our household!) please?

The running yield is considerably higher than the National Grid example, and there are figures for the modified duration and gross redemption yield, which are absent from the NG info, could someone explain to me what these terms mean too?

Methinks it would be a good idea for you to pick up a beginners book or good online article on bonds/fixed interest. Maybe someone can recommend one? Here's a reasonable primer, https://www.sharescope.co.uk/stepbystep_13.jsp, I'm sure other good ones will be found by suitable googling.

In regards to the pages you linked to on HL, if you move the mouse to over the dotted-underlined headings on the page (e.g. Gross redemption yield) it will give you an explanation of the term.

The gross redemption yield (sometimes called yield-to-maturity) is one of the most important ones, as it tells what your annualised return will be up to redemption taking into account all of the coupons received and the capital gain/loss at the end (ignoring taxes and assuming reinvestment at the same rate).

In regards to the Anglian Water (40LV) 6.875% 2023 one specifically: bonds are usually priced in lots of 100 so the (current) buy price of £127.35 will buy you 100 £1 par bonds. From that you'll receive £6.875 each year in coupons until (and including) 2023, at which point the bonds will be redeemed for £100. Add up all those coupons plus the capital loss of £27.35 and annualise the overall gain and you'll get the gross redemption yield shown of 1.8660%pa. (I expect - I haven't checked their maths! :))

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » March 26th, 2018, 12:33 pm

Warning: Long!

Melanie wrote:Hi all,

First of all, I may appear somewhat less knowledgeable than I did yesterday, as this is the 'real me'! My husband was posting on my behalf and he has a better grasp on the idea of bonds than I have, so apologies if it seems that I'm asking more basic questions!

Hi Melanie, first can I say I love your attitude. You are persistent, you really want to understand how these things work and are willing to go to actual data and do a bit of maths. I think you're going to make a lot of money from investing.

All investments are a variety of bond so you may as well get your head around the terminology and maths. If you agree, go to a really good text book like this one by british author Moorad Choudhry.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Introduction-B ... 47068724X/

Just because you understand bonds doesn't mean they will be a good invesment. There are times when buying certain bonds is not a good idea. If you have a poor psychological aptitude to investing and keep buying and selling at the wrong time despite what your logical head tells you, clearly the result will be sub-optimal. So don't get bogged down in the minutuiae but develop a sense of the broader context, a kind of investor's peripheral vision. One principle that will crop up over and over is to have a diverse portfolio -- don't put all your money into preference shares!

Have been looking at bonds on HL site, and came across this Anglian Water one (just for an example):

http://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/a/anglian-water-6.875-2023

I'm going to walk you through what I am thinking and doing to research this bond and answer some of the questions you might have.

Here goes, my stream of consciousness! Maybe follow though the steps yourself...

-First, you have cited a stockbroker's website as a source of some of your information. Great start, but I realise this is a secondary source -- HL are just compiling others' data in a form acceptable for their clients. The categories they use may be funny, there could even be mistakes. So what is useful here and where to go next? Well the most useful thing is the ISIN number. This is a unique identifier for all listed securities and any web site worth its salt quotes this number.
-What I want to get to is most importantly the Prospectus or Listing Particulars or Contract for this security, then take a look at the issuer, especially balance sheet and profitability, maybe get any idea of recent pricing and trading.
-So the ISIN 'XS0089553282" goes into google.
-The first result is the LSE's [note NOT lse.co.uk which is junk] official web page for the bond. That's a decent page: it has trading details, pricing, a chart, basic fundamental data and usefully a link to the issuer.
-Second result is from cbonds.com, I think it's a Russian site, but is surprisingly well put together. However I think the good stuff is subscription only and I do not use it much these days.
-Third result is your hl.co.uk page. Then there's a random selection most of which are not that interesting. The german bourses do have decent sites though, especially if looking for lists of bonds. Thse ones I've used are boerse-frankfurt.de and boerse-berlin.com.
-I want the prospectus though, so try "XS0089553282 prospectus" in google. That does the trick.
-The third result is from fixedincomeinvestor.co.uk. This is a decent site, sadly not very well maintained recently but has okay lists of the main UK bonds and very very usefully has charts which show yield rather than price. This is great as you can do all sorts of comparisons as well. Have a play with them, starting with the gilts. If you chart the price and yield, you get an immediate insight into how short, medium and long bond prices behave in the market. (The yield is derived from the market price - look at how changes in yield are reflected in the price.) Beware though, that the yields on this site are not always calculated correctly and often have crude assumptions about call date etc. Use with a huge pinch of salt.
-The search result was for the prospectus, the "offering circular" itself in pdf form. I'd normally download this and save for future reference. Not that prospectuses are usually NOT the contract. For bonds the contract is often the Trust Deed and for shares it's the Company Articles. However a prospectus should have the same information and may incorporate a copy of the trust deed or extract from the Articles.
-Looking at the prospectus, what am I after? I want the detailed financial terms, but let's look at the document quickly first.
-The first page contains many very important details. Issue size, date, main terms including pricing, maturity and call dates etc, the Issuer and its relationship to a group or guarantor for the bonds, the form of the bonds (telling you the minimum size you can buy). Each word on this page carries specific meaning; they are not written idly!
-There often follow some pages of contents, definitions etc. Look out for specific meanings of words, and important inclusions.
-Starting page 4 of this document we get the detailed conditions of the bond. I'll list the key things I want on this reading:

Issuer/Trustee/Guarantor: Anglian Water Plc contracting with the Trustee Royal Exchange Trust Company Limited (on behalf of Bondholders) with Anglian Water Services Limited as guarantor.
Issued: 1998 (middle of the huge dotcom boom), the year of the Asian bond crisis, early in Blair government.
Shape: £1000 min denomination
Interest: the coupon rate is 5.625% payable annually. Note: the rate is fixed.
Maturity: Aug 2023, just over five years to run, modified duration about 5 years. A relatively stable price expected, low yield.
Redemption: there is a call option, available at any time with notice but at a make-good price based on gilt yield (or par if higher). This is expensive for the issuer so makes call unlikely. The bond can be priced more like a five year bond than cash, but beware peculiar market conditions!
Other options: note there are various other put and call options which usually are probably unlikely to be exercised but which require vigilance. It's no excuse to claim them to be obscure: if they're in there you agreed to them.
Covenants: Also look at any covenants and restrictions on the issuer.
Purchase: Note that tenders require and offer to all holders.

-The remaining items are of lesser interest for now, but worth a skim-read if you like the bond.
-Now I search google for "site:fixedincomeinvestor.co.uk XS0089553282". This takes me to the site I wrote about earlier with nice bond charting. On the Anglian Water page:

https://www.fixedincomeinvestor.co.uk/x/mem_barclays2/bondchart.html?groupid=3653&id=421&stash=F65F51B0

I plot the price in a relative study overlaid against the 4% 2022 gilt TR22, a nearby gilt with decent data history. This is the chart:

https://www.fixedincomeinvestor.co.uk/x ... =600&h=382

...and it confirms my theory that the bond pricing is going to be like a safe 5-year bond -- note how the changes are tracking the gilt market pretty closely.
-So I'm basically buying a 5-year gilt with .5% spread over gilts, more credit risk and event risk and poor tax characteristics (due to the high coupon).
-At this point it's also worth considering if anything about the price action looks suspicious, indicating a change in terms of the bonds or some optionality that you overlooked. If anything looks funny, check into the history since issue. (Maybe you should do this anyway!) e.g. I hold WestBrom 6.25% PIBS priced at 50p. That looks weird. Sure enough, their interest terms have changed and they are currently in default paying nothing. If I only read the original T&Cs I'd think they were a bargain, when they absolutely are not.

I think that'll do for now!

The Fundamental Data section shows both the denomination size and minimum initial investment as being £1000. Does this simply relate to purchases of the bond which were made when the bonds were first released back in 1998? Presumably I could buy a single one for £127.15 today if I so wished?

It also says that the 'coupon type' is a variable coupon, but the 'structure' is a fixed income/fixed rate bond........forgive my lack of understanding, but aren't the terms contradicting each other?!

If I was to buy today and hold them until the redemption date of August 2023, what would my earnings from the bonds likely to be? Would any of you be able to show me an easy to follow worked example (what with me being the less knowledgeable one in our household!) please?

Thanks in advance,

(The Real) Mel ;)

Hopefully the above walk through gave you an insight into how you can research these things and maybe answered your questions too. Please ask if you want to know anything else, and good luck!

GS
P.S. Please excuse errors and typos. I'm not going through it with a fine-toothed comb!

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » March 27th, 2018, 7:40 pm

For the sums of money that you are considering, bonds guaranteed by the government make the most sense. You can currently get 2.61% on a five year bond, guaranteed by the FSCS:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savin ... t-interest

If you want to have access to your money in an emergency, you can use NS&I, but they have reduced the interest rates recently:

https://www.nsandi.com/guaranteed-growth-bonds

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » March 27th, 2018, 10:17 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Melanie wrote:If I was to buy today and hold them until the redemption date of August 2023, what would my earnings from the bonds likely to be? Would any of you be able to show me an easy to follow worked example (what with me being the less knowledgeable one in our household!) please?

Methinks it would be a good idea for you to pick up a beginners book or good online article on bonds/fixed interest. Maybe someone can recommend one? Here's a reasonable primer, https://www.sharescope.co.uk/stepbystep_13.jsp, I'm sure other good ones will be found by suitable googling.

In regards to the pages you linked to on HL, if you move the mouse to over the dotted-underlined headings on the page (e.g. Gross redemption yield) it will give you an explanation of the term.

Thanks for all of the info you provided, I have a book on order (arriving tomorrow): https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0857190423/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which should hopefully be of some use to help us learn the basics which we need to know (along with all the help from you guys - you really are very helpful to newbies!). Regarding the terms which I didn't understand, I did find the explanations you mentioned using a hovering mouse a few days ago, so thanks again :)

GoSeigen wrote:Warning: Long!

Melanie wrote:Hi all,

Hi Melanie, first can I say I love your attitude. You are persistent, you really want to understand how these things work and are willing to go to actual data and do a bit of maths. I think you're going to make a lot of money from investing.

Hopefully the above walk through gave you an insight into how you can research these things and maybe answered your questions too. Please ask if you want to know anything else, and good luck!

GS
P.S. Please excuse errors and typos. I'm not going through it with a fine-toothed comb!

Thank you so much, your reply with the walk-through is really in-depth and very useful. I hope you're right about me making a lot of money.........I'll buy you a pint if I'm super-successful!

And thanks for offering to answer even more questions - I'll probably take you up on the offer! :)

GeoffF100 wrote:For the sums of money that you are considering, bonds guaranteed by the government make the most sense. You can currently get 2.61% on a five year bond, guaranteed by the FSCS:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savin ... t-interest

If you want to have access to your money in an emergency, you can use NS&I, but they have reduced the interest rates recently:

https://www.nsandi.com/guaranteed-growth-bonds

Thanks for that, I hadn't seen that one with Vanquis, must've slipped the net whilst I was looking. We do have NS&I investments, but only a small amount in there.
I did purchase fixed rate bonds from 'Castle Trust' yesterday, as a bit of an experiment to see if they do as they say they will:

5 Year Fixed Rate 2.80% AER*
3 Year Fixed Rate 2.65% AER*
2 Year Fixed Rate 2.50% AER*
1 Year Fixed Rate 2.25% AER*

As I've said before, thank you all so much, your help is very much appreciated.

Mel :)

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » March 27th, 2018, 10:26 pm

Melanie wrote:
I did purchase fixed rate bonds from 'Castle Trust' yesterday, as a bit of an experiment to see if they do as they say they will:

A drawback of these, should it matter, would be

Access to your money - access is not permitted until maturity of the bond.

The various retail bonds as discussed earlier can always be sold, although possibly at a loss.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 27th, 2018, 10:48 pm

Fixed rate savings 'bonds' aren't really bonds, - there is no secondary market (if that's the correct term) so you can't sell before maturity, as noted above.
That's what I've read anyway !

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 27th, 2018, 11:05 pm

This is also a possibly convenient site for RPI etc kind of information:

http://swanlowpark.co.uk

greygymsock
Lemon Pip

Postby greygymsock » March 28th, 2018, 4:02 am

Melanie wrote:I did purchase fixed rate bonds from 'Castle Trust' yesterday, as a bit of an experiment to see if they do as they say they will:

i'd suggest cancelling those, if you can. (their website says there is a 14-day cooling off period.)

why do i say that?

their interest rates are only slightly higher than you could get on fixed-rate savings accounts, in which your capital and income would be protected by the FSCS (up to the £85,000 limit for deposits). for some of the top rates on FSCS-protected fixed-rate accounts, see https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savin ... eyearfixed . these are accounts which give modest returns but are safe (within the FSCS limits).

castle trust's bonds are not FSCS-protected deposits. you are making a loan to a company, castle trust direct plc, and if that company cannot pay you, you can lose some or all of your money. now, there is nothing wrong with that in general: that is how corporate bonds generally work. the main problem in this case is that they are paying minimal extra interest compared to those safe fixed-rate deposits - not nearly enough, for a loan to an obscure unquoted company.

a smaller disadvantage is that castle trust's bonds can't be (bought and) sold on a stock exchange, unlike proper corporate bonds. there are some other bonds like this, often called "mini-bonds", but typically paying a much higher interest rate, as they should given the risk and inflexibility. i'm not a fan of mini-bonds generally, but these ones just aren't paying anything like a high enough rate.

castle trust's website claims that FSCS protection for investments applies to their bonds. FSCS protection for investments is very different from FSCS protection for deposits, and not just in the lower £50,000 limit for claims. in general, it does not compensate investors for all losses from investments. castle trust have a novel interpretation of how FSCS protection might apply to their bonds, which could easily turn out to be completely wrong. and this won't be tested unless and until somebody tries to claim from the FSCS. personally, having seen the way they present this issue on their website, i wouldn't do any kind of business with them, whether involving their bonds or not.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » March 28th, 2018, 10:50 am

Melanie wrote:
Thanks for that, I hadn't seen that one with Vanquis, must've slipped the net whilst I was looking. We do have NS&I investments, but only a small amount in there.

As I've said before, thank you all so much, your help is very much appreciated.

Mel :)

Mel, I endorse greygymsock's comments wholeheartedly.

This is a high risk investment with completely inadequate interest compensation. As others have said these Castle Trust bonds are bonds only in the sense that you are buying a loan note, but they are NOT negotiable instruments and NOT listed, which means you cannot offload them to another investor like a tradeable bond.

A similar type of "savings bond" is sold by banks, but Castle Trust is not a bank and you are not making a fixed term "deposit". Thus you probably have no protection of the FSCS as greygymsock pointed out and will likely lose all your money if the company goes bust. And being a small unlisted business that is a distinct possibility.

Personally I'd only want to buy something like this if the returns offered were 20-40%pa, not 2-4%, and even then I'd be extremely wary.

Like greygymsock I recommend you immediately take advantage of cancellation terms. These companies can make it difficult at times, so know your rights (read the contract you signed and consumer protection law), word your cancellation letter carefully, and be very firm in your intentions. Good luck getting that money back.

GS

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » March 28th, 2018, 11:39 am

For what it's worth we spent 2k on a 1 year 2.25% product. We are umming and ahhing about actually keeping it.

We spent a while chatting to the FSCS regards Castle Trust, and you people are right it won't be guaranteed, since a) it's not a bank b) we've not been advised on the safety of this investment by a regulated IFA etc. etc.

However, default/risk wise, to me, this seems on a par with buying any other corporate bond from the open market. The only difference in my naive brain, being that we use the opportunity to trade the risky instrument should that eventuality arise. However since we've got this for only 1 year, and CT have been running for several years, we are going to cross our fingers! (I think!!)

Thanks again for all your advice.

Mel

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » March 28th, 2018, 11:56 am

Melanie wrote: However since we've got this for only 1 year, and CT have been running for several years, we are going to cross our fingers! (I think!!)

As you suggest they've been around for a few years, notwithstanding the concerns raised.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/per ... -bond.html

Whether the FSCS would pay out in practice has, fortunately for the lenders, yet to be tested. The £ 50,000 FSCS scheme is more normally associated with compensation for poor advice or maladministration.

There's another investment option for fixed interest which can give higher returns with higher risk. That's the "peer to peer" market, usually referred to as P2P. With various variations on the theme, they are platforms that matches providers of funds, those with money seeking a home, with borrowers, mostly those with security to offer, such as those seeking mortgages.

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » March 28th, 2018, 12:02 pm

Alaric wrote:There's another investment option for fixed interest which can give higher returns with higher risk. That's the "peer to peer" market, usually referred to as P2P. With various variations on the theme, they are platforms that matches providers of funds, those with money seeking a home, with borrowers, mostly those with security to offer, such as those seeking mortgages.

Thanks again for this. We are definitely at the bottom of a very steep learning curve - so much to learn.

Will be spending some of the coming weekend with my nose buried in this book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0857190423

(Mel's hubby)

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 28th, 2018, 12:18 pm

I've got that one bookmarked on Amazon for future purchase, having downloaded a sample.
Be aware that many of the Amazon books on bonds (not that one) are US-focused so cover weird stuff like Munis (municipal bonds),and the terminology is sometimes different

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » March 28th, 2018, 1:22 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:I've got that one bookmarked on Amazon for future purchase, having downloaded a sample.
Be aware that many of the Amazon books on bonds (not that one) are US-focused so cover weird stuff like Munis (municipal bonds),and the terminology is sometimes different

Indeed. The book with "sterling" in the title, seemed my best shot - for that very reason.

What was your opinion of the sample you downloaded? Get as far as reading it?

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 28th, 2018, 2:02 pm

I read it, but my sample is only the Foreword/Preface/Intro so difficult to tell!! I will prob get a copy when there's a cheap second hand one available
(being rather careful with my cash)

This site is a good read, apologies if it's been linked to already
https://www.fixedincomeinvestor.co.uk/x/default.html
Last edited by AleisterCrowley on March 28th, 2018, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wozzitworthit
2 Lemon pips

Postby Wozzitworthit » March 28th, 2018, 2:03 pm

Melanie + Hubby

Mark's book is regarded as a "Bible" by many new FI investors

He used to be with the company behind this website

http://www.fixedincomeinvestor.co.uk/x/default.html

That site has a lot of useful info. have a browse round it. The forum is not as intense as some, but is very useful, especially for beginners and intermediates.

The "Bond of the Week" is only renewed very occasionally, but when it is, they are extremely well researched and very well written , in a very informative and amusing style - I suggest having a look at the current write-up on LendInvest and see what I mean

Some of the older "Bond of the Weeks" were written by Mark

Woz

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 28th, 2018, 2:07 pm

Ha ha , posts collided, with same info !!

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » March 28th, 2018, 2:44 pm

Wozzitworthit wrote:Melanie + Hubby

Mark's book is regarded as a "Bible" by many new FI investors

He used to be with the company behind this website

http://www.fixedincomeinvestor.co.uk/x/default.html

That site has a lot of useful info. have a browse round it. The forum is not as intense as some, but is very useful, especially for beginners and intermediates.

The "Bond of the Week" is only renewed very occasionally, but when it is, they are extremely well researched and very well written , in a very informative and amusing style - I suggest having a look at the current write-up on LendInvest and see what I mean

Some of the older "Bond of the Weeks" were written by Mark

Woz

Wow......fingers crossed - if we can pick the "right" book....perhaps we'll (eventually) pick the right bonds! :lol:

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » March 28th, 2018, 3:30 pm

Melanie wrote:For what it's worth we spent 2k on a 1 year 2.25% product. We are umming and ahhing about actually keeping it.

We spent a while chatting to the FSCS regards Castle Trust, and you people are right it won't be guaranteed, since a) it's not a bank b) we've not been advised on the safety of this investment by a regulated IFA etc. etc.

However, default/risk wise, to me, this seems on a par with buying any other corporate bond from the open market. The only difference in my naive brain, being that we use the opportunity to trade the risky instrument should that eventuality arise. However since we've got this for only 1 year, and CT have been running for several years, we are going to cross our fingers! (I think!!)

Thanks again for all your advice.

Mel

Mel, this was nonsense:

GoSeigen wrote:they are NOT negotiable instruments and NOT listed,

for which my apologies. The bonds are both negotiable and listed, but there is unlikely to be any secondary market in them. I doubt you read the prospectus or you'd have put me right about the above, but from a brief look, this is a low-interest return from a bond with no upside and considerable risk, issued by a Special Purpose Vehicle in a heavily loss-making business of mind-boggling complexity. There are plenty of safer or more lucrative alternatives, fortunately you are tied in for only 12 months, which might be short enough for the investment to survive.

Good luck. You have far bigger balls than me!

GS

Return to “Gilts and Bonds”