Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Index Linked Gilts - a possible walk-through?

Gilts, bonds, and interest-bearing shares
Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Index Linked Gilts - a possible walk-through?

Postby Lootman » August 16th, 2023, 11:13 am

mc2fool wrote:ignoring accrued interest

Can you ignore it? At least in a taxable account I would have thought that the amount of interest that you buy upon initial purchase of a bond should be deducted from the next coupon payment for tax purposes, otherwise you would be paying too much income tax on the interest.

Although it is 30 years since I bought a bond so I may be wrong about that.

By the way, if you target very low coupon gilts, and it seems that you do, then have you looked at Treasury Strip securities? As the name implies they are stripped of their coupons and so the only return is capital gain, rather like any other zero coupon instrument. So, zero tax.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » August 16th, 2023, 11:22 am

mc2fool wrote:The negative of course is that at the end of the 30 years you'll have nothing, it'll all be gone.

To reiterate, only if you structure it that way. When the entire ladder has a positive real yield then you might load the difference into a stock accumulation fund. If 30 years of £10K/year inflation adjusted, £300K total value, costs £248K in present day money then dropping £52K separately into a stock accumulation fund that accumulates at a 6% annualised real rate of return and that grows to £300K after 30 years. Started with 300K, ended with 300K inflation adjusted, had 10K/year inflation adjusted income. You forego some of the income, 3.33% SWR (10K/year) instead of 4% SWE (12K/year), in return for ending with some value/capital left at the end of 30 years.

working around the gaps

A longer duration/average-maturity fund barbelled with a cash deposit can replicate a ladder reasonably well and avoids the issues with gap in individual bonds.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » August 16th, 2023, 11:34 am

Lootman wrote:

Can you ignore it?

For the purposes of not cluttering up the example ;) which was only about indexation, not full on dirty prices. In real life your understanding is still correct.

Lootman wrote:By the way, if you target very low coupon gilts, and it seems that you do, then have you looked at Treasury Strip securities? As the name implies they are stripped of their coupons and so the only return is capital gain, rather like any other zero coupon instrument. So, zero tax.

"All gains and losses on gilt strips held by individuals are taxed as income on an annual basis. At the end of the tax year, individuals are deemed for tax to have disposed of and reacquired their holdings of gilt strips at their then current value; any gain (or loss) arising during the year on the holding is taxed (or relieved) as income."
https://www.dmo.gov.uk/responsibilities/gilt-market/buying-selling/taxation/

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 16th, 2023, 11:37 am

mc2fool wrote:
Lootman wrote:By the way, if you target very low coupon gilts, and it seems that you do, then have you looked at Treasury Strip securities? As the name implies they are stripped of their coupons and so the only return is capital gain, rather like any other zero coupon instrument. So, zero tax.

"All gains and losses on gilt strips held by individuals are taxed as income on an annual basis. At the end of the tax year, individuals are deemed for tax to have disposed of and reacquired their holdings of gilt strips at their then current value; any gain (or loss) arising during the year on the holding is taxed (or relieved) as income."

Ouch.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » August 16th, 2023, 11:46 am

Lootman wrote:

Can you ignore it? At least in a taxable account I would have thought that the amount of interest that you buy upon initial purchase of a bond should be deducted from the next coupon payment for tax purposes, otherwise you would be paying too much income tax on the interest.

Although it is 30 years since I bought a bond so I may be wrong about that.

By the way, if you target very low coupon gilts, and it seems that you do, then have you looked at Treasury Strip securities? As the name implies they are stripped of their coupons and so the only return is capital gain, rather like any other zero coupon instrument. So, zero tax.

Are index linked Strips available? I thought not.

If instead of a ladder you use the barbell and match the ongoing changing duration, then something like https://www.londonstockexchange.com/sto ... mpany-page has a 0.125% coupon yield. At the other end you might hold stocks instead of short term Gilts. Draw/spend the same as you would have had you bought the full ladder. Starts in long dated gilt heavy/stock light, transitions through yearly reviews to stock-heavy/gilts-light. Riskier (less assured) but also more inclined to be more rewarding overall.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » August 16th, 2023, 12:45 pm

Lootman wrote:
mc2fool wrote:"All gains and losses on gilt strips held by individuals are taxed as income on an annual basis. At the end of the tax year, individuals are deemed for tax to have disposed of and reacquired their holdings of gilt strips at their then current value; any gain (or loss) arising during the year on the holding is taxed (or relieved) as income."

Ouch.

Not only that, have YOU looked at treasury strips? If you had you would know they are aesoteric for a retail investor with horrible spreads even if you can find a way to trade them.

GS

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » August 16th, 2023, 4:37 pm

I've already bought TN24 and TN25 which are ordinary gilts as an alternative to holding cash which was going to attract 20% tax on some of the interest.
They (TN24 and TN25)will provide and equivalent to 4.58 and 4.73%pa if held to redemption.

So I was now thinking about buying another tranche of gilts redeeming in 26. Possibles are an ordinary guilt T26 available to buy for 89.25 today. If I bought £1000 I'd get back £1120.45 (+ a small amount due to the 0.125% coupon) in 2026 pounds on redemption on 31/01/26. Or I could buy an index linked gilts Treasury 0.125% 22/03/2026 (TR26?) for 96.125 and if I bought £1000 I'd get back £1040.31 in 2023 pounds on 22/3/2026, but that would be index linked to 2026 pounds So I might get back more or less than for T26 depending on what inflation turned out to be. I did a quick back of the lab book calculation and if RPI stayed at 6.8% I think I'd get back £1227.29 in 2026 pounds, clearly a better deal than T26, but clearly RPI is falling back and my even be down to the bank of England target by 2026. The question is which to go for. Calculating the uplift to 2026 pounds with RPI falling back to 2% by 2026 puts the returns much closer together, so I guess the index linked is better if I think inflation is going to remain higher than the the BoE target out to 26 and the normal gilt better if i think inflation is going to fall more quickly.

Just setting it down to get my thoughts in order. If any one can see any grave errors I've made in my thoughts let me know.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 16th, 2023, 5:03 pm

daveh wrote: If any one can see any grave errors I've made in my thoughts let me know.

No grave error that I can see. But given how many Lemons seem to be piling into these kinds of positions it is certainly prudent to ask what the catch might be:

1) This is not an investment, in the sense that you will not secure any growth. At best you are maintaining the real value of a sum of cash. So it is a cash management strategy rather than an investment strategy. And so you should not allocate more of your net worth than you otherwise would to savings accounts and the like.

2) Anything you devote to gilts is a sterling exposure. So if the pound does terribly in the next few years, this is still a losing strategy relative to alternatives.

3) For most of the last 40 years gilts have traded above par. So you would have had a loss if held to maturity and moreover one that you could not offset against taxable gains. This opportunity may prove to be short-lived and then the opportunity goes away. If you believe that then you would probably want to extend maturities in the hope of selling above par if rates decline. Some of the issues currently trading below par were at 130-150 not so long ago, dispelling the myth that gilts are somehow always "safe".

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » August 16th, 2023, 5:18 pm

daveh wrote:I've already bought TN24 and TN25 which are ordinary gilts as an alternative to holding cash which was going to attract 20% tax on some of the interest.
They (TN24 and TN25)will provide and equivalent to 4.58 and 4.73%pa if held to redemption.

So I was now thinking about buying another tranche of gilts redeeming in 26. Possibles are an ordinary guilt T26 available to buy for 89.25 today. If I bought £1000 I'd get back £1120.45 (+ a small amount due to the 0.125% coupon) in 2026 pounds on redemption on 31/01/26. Or I could buy an index linked gilts Treasury 0.125% 22/03/2026 (TR26?) for 96.125 and if I bought £1000 I'd get back £1040.31 in 2023 pounds on 22/3/2026, but that would be index linked to 2026 pounds So I might get back more or less than for T26 depending on what inflation turned out to be. I did a quick back of the lab book calculation and if RPI stayed at 6.8% I think I'd get back £1227.29 in 2026 pounds, clearly a better deal than T26, but clearly RPI is falling back and my even be down to the bank of England target by 2026. The question is which to go for. Calculating the uplift to 2026 pounds with RPI falling back to 2% by 2026 puts the returns much closer together, so I guess the index linked is better if I think inflation is going to remain higher than the the BoE target out to 26 and the normal gilt better if i think inflation is going to fall more quickly.

Just setting it down to get my thoughts in order. If any one can see any grave errors I've made in my thoughts let me know.

So (I think this works) ... XIRR({-1041.31,1120.45},{"16-Aug-2023","31-Jan-2026"}) = 3.03% (or 2.86% to 22-Mar-2026).

So, that'll be the breakeven inflation rate. As long as RPI averages more than 3.03% (or 2.86%) per annum you'll be better off with the index linker.

Curiously https://www.yieldgimp.com/index-linked-gilt-yields shows a breakeven RPI rate of 3.58% for TR26, so not quite sure how they arrive at that....

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 16th, 2023, 6:21 pm

Just a cautionary comment. Nobody seems to have noticed that the CPI actually fell this time.

It's not impossible that it might continue to fall.

TJH

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » August 16th, 2023, 7:14 pm

tjh290633 wrote:Just a cautionary comment. Nobody seems to have noticed that the CPI actually fell this time.

It's not impossible that it might continue to fall.

TJH

CPI has not fallen. It's the 12 month % rate of change in it that has decreased, and I noticed it, at 8ish this morning in fact. However, CPI, and more relevantly, RPI, which is what index linked gilts are indexed by, continues to increase of course, albeit at a slower rate.

The rate of increase may well continue to fall, indeed I hope it does (esp. the food inflation component of it). But as I'm planning on holding to maturity it doesn't matter, I will still get a positive real return regardless, which was the goal and is more than one can get from bank/b.soc. savings accounts, being what I've bought index linked gilts as an alterative to.

Jwdool
Lemon Pip

Postby Jwdool » August 16th, 2023, 7:26 pm

As it happens, CPI did fall. The reducing annual rate is a function of last years mom 0.6% increase falling out of the calculation and this mom decrease being factored in.

For more see the ONS:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflatio ... 0in%20June.

There is a good chance we will see inflation continue to fall through the rest of the year such that the YoY numbers go below 5% by year end (CPIH).

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » August 16th, 2023, 8:53 pm

Jwdool wrote:As it happens, CPI did fall.

Oops! You're right, it fell from 131.5 in June to 130.9 in July, and RPI from 376.4 to 374.2.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » August 20th, 2023, 4:44 pm

Back of napkin, very quick and dirty calculation and I see around a £255K present day cost to buy into a 30 year £10K/year inflation adjusted income at recent price levels (Index Gilt Ladder). Looking at annuities and 5 year guarantee, 65 year old smoker, RPI uplift costs around £195K for a £10K/year payout rate. The annuity covers you for if you live longer than the 30 years, and costs around £60K less, BUT is taxable income. And other than the 5 year guarantee, if you die early, then there's no residual available for heirs. For a low coupon Gilt ladder the income tax might be considered near negligible, mostly capital gains, that are tax exempted. For a 20% rate taxpayer, where much of their yearly allowance might already have been used by a state pension + other pension, for a similar 10K/year net income would require loading 1.25 times more into the annuity, and £195K x 1.25 = a £244K loading. Near the same cost as the ladder, but where earlier death leaves nothing (but where living longer than 30 years still continues to pay out, whereas a ladder is all spent).

For someone who say had £10K state pension, £10K occupational pension, £30K spending lifestyle and bought a £10K 30 year ladder costing £255K to cover that (for 30 years to age 95), then if they also had a £100K residual amount (£355K total saved amount) where they dropped that £100K into a ISA'd all-world stock accumulation fund or whatever - that grew at a 4.3% annualised real across the 30 years, then they'd end 30 years with their inflation adjusted original total investment amount still available. Which is a relatively conservative estimate, more typically stocks have tended to grow/accumulate at a 6% type rate.

Annuities aren't really worth it in the context of the above and assuming you have heirs. At least not at from age 65. I believe common advice however is that annuities do tend to become more worth-it in later years, perhaps from age 75 to 80.

Note that my quick and dirty calculation was upon seeing around a 1%/year real price discount rate for Index Linked Gilts along with a 1% real yield across most of the 5 to 30 year maturity range. Income taxes would be higher in earlier years due to having 30 rungs (bonds) all paying interest as part of that years income (along with the proceeds of that years maturing bond). But at around 0.125% coupon yields £250K x 0.125% = just around £300 odd of taxable income (£60 odd ... insignificant tax).

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » August 20th, 2023, 10:50 pm

Lootman wrote:
daveh wrote: If any one can see any grave errors I've made in my thoughts let me know.

No grave error that I can see. But given how many Lemons seem to be piling into these kinds of positions it is certainly prudent to ask what the catch might be:

1) This is not an investment, in the sense that you will not secure any growth. At best you are maintaining the real value of a sum of cash. So it is a cash management strategy rather than an investment strategy. And so you should not allocate more of your net worth than you otherwise would to savings accounts and the like.

2) Anything you devote to gilts is a sterling exposure. So if the pound does terribly in the next few years, this is still a losing strategy relative to alternatives.

3) For most of the last 40 years gilts have traded above par. So you would have had a loss if held to maturity and moreover one that you could not offset against taxable gains. This opportunity may prove to be short-lived and then the opportunity goes away. If you believe that then you would probably want to extend maturities in the hope of selling above par if rates decline. Some of the issues currently trading below par were at 130-150 not so long ago, dispelling the myth that gilts are somehow always "safe".

1. There is growth
2. Maybe/maybe not. Better or worse is generally a 50:50 chance, the markets tend to price things to that chance. Unlike savings accounts that have £85K protection limits, you can lend unlimited amounts to the treasury (buy Gilts) with nigh on 100% full protection, £1M, £10M ... whatever. The Treasury are more inclined to increase general taxation or get the BoE to print money rather than default on their Gilts.
3. Present index linked gilts real yields are generally positive of recent. Provided the Gilt is held to maturity that real gain is guaranteed, even if inflation rose to 25% or more.

I'd add that low coupon yield Gilts are near tax exempt. You'll pay some tax on the small amount of interest that a 0.125% yielder pays, but the inflation and price appreciation elements are tax free. If you can earn inflation + 1% and inflation runs at 5%, you're making 6% near-as tax-free. For another who had their cash in a savings account that incurred 20% taxation on interest, they'd need to be receiving a 7.5% gross interest amount to compare. And they'd only get back £85,000 if the bank went bust.

Index Linked Gilts are similar to conventional Gilts, you just have to put a 'real' hat on

https://www.yieldgimp.com/index-linked-gilt-yields

T28 was first sold on 11th June 2018 https://www.londonstockexchange.com/sto ... mpany-page coupon value 100, and set to be redeemed (mature) on the 10th August 2028 at a 100 value ... in real terms. The interest rate offered being 0.125% relative to its 100 face value. Investors bought that gilt when issued, perhaps paying more or maybe less than the 100 value, and have received the interest paid since, as has the 100 nominal value been uplifted by inflation.

For you to buy from a existing holder/seller at the above indicated rates, the indicated real price is 95.11, a near 5% below its 100 maturity price value. So you're guaranteed a near 5% gain as indicated. But that's in real terms, you'll also get whatever inflation is between when you buy and when it matures. The Market price value of 95.11 is however misleading as that's not the price you'll pay, you'll pay a actual price of 100 scaled by however much inflation there's been since the gilt was first issued to the present date. How many Gilts will you get? Easiest is just to ask for £12,345 or whatever value/amount when you buy, and they'll do the calculation for you.

The Break Even value indicates that if inflation between now and maturity were 3.82% or higher then having bought the Index Linked Gilt was better than having opted for Conventional Gilts. If inflation was lower than that value then you'd have been better having bought a conventional Gilt. A factor to consider there however is that inflation is unlikely to turn to deflation, as the government will pull out all of the stops to avoid that. In contrast inflation could rise to extreme levels, 25% or more perhaps.

There's some additional factors involved, such as the actual inflation rate values used are lagged values, and you'll also have to pay the proportion of interest that the seller is due since they last received a interest payment (only fair).

At a coupon yield of 0.125% the actual interest payments are near insignificant. Predominately the (real) gain arises out of price appreciation. 95.11 indicated price rising to 100 (but with both scaled by inflation in actual terms, same difference either way) over 5 years approximately. Which annualised = 1.05^(1/5) - 1 = 0.98%. Adding on the 0.125% coupon yield increases that to 1.1% approximately. The above link however indicates the more accurate value to be a 1.04% real yield. Buy the Gilt at the above level, hold it to maturity and you're guaranteed a annualised return of 1% above inflation. Sell before maturity and you could gain more, or see a loss.

With a ladder, that's just replicated across many years, buying different Gilts that ideally each matured a year or so apart, but that in practice there aren't enough Gilt series to cover that so you just have to make do with what's actually available. If you're guaranteed a 1% real return for a Gilt, and want £10,000 of present day inflation adjusted money in 5 years time, then you can discount that by the 1% real rate. In the case of the TR28 1.0104^5=1.053, so instead of using £10,000 of present day money to buy £10,000 of inflation adjusted money in 5 years time, you only need to 'deposit' 10,000 / 1.053 = £9496.

Go deeper, further out, and for Index Linked Gilts maturing in 30 odd years time the indicated real yields are more around 1.4%. £10,000 of inflation adjusted money in 30 years time requires 1.014^30 = 1.52 factor, so you only need to invest 10,000 / 1.52 of present day money = £6579 of present day money for £10,000 of inflation adjusted money in 30 years time.

A full ladder for 10K/year for the next 30 years, 300K of total inflation adjusted returned money, might cost around £250K of present day money to buy. The actual calculations for a ladder are a bit more involved in that you should factor in both the interest you'll receive each year, as well as the proceeds from a Gilt that matures each year. But when the coupon yields are low such as 0.125% that's near insignificant. Low amounts of taxable interest, mostly price appreciation that is tax exempt is also the more tax efficient choice.

When you're getting a £300K return from £250K present day money, then you might invest that difference into a accumulation world stock index tracker or whatever. £50K dropped into a stock accumulation fund that was left for 30 years as the Gilt ladder was spent, might perhaps accumulate at a 6% real rate. 1.06^30 = 5.74 gain factor, such that £50K initial investment grows to £287K in inflation adjusted terms. You had 30 years of £10K/year inflation adjusted income provided from a £300K initial portfolio value and ended the 30 years with £13K less, £287K instead of £300K .... in whatever 30 year inflation adjusted terms. And unlike a annuity that is all-spent, lost to heirs when you die, the ladder and stock values remain available to heirs.

Risks to be mindful of is that things/rules can change, especially over a 30 year horizon period. If inflation did spike to 25% levels then there's quite a high probability IMO that a budget might change the tax exemption of inflation and capital gain exemptions. To some extent you are buying fire insurance from a arsonist. Yet to put a Gilt ladder into a ISA seems wasteful given its current tax exemptions.

Return to “Gilts and Bonds”