Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

GACA and GACB Consolidating

Gilts, bonds, and interest-bearing shares
OldBoyReturns
2 Lemon pips

Re: GACA and GACB Consolidating

Postby OldBoyReturns » January 17th, 2024, 3:03 pm

88V8 wrote:I think we're a long way from actual rate cuts as distinct from talking about rate cuts, so the SP of prefs (exception, INVR) has a lot further to go. Look for a destination yield around 5%.
The spread makes trading in & out unattractive imho.
V8

IMHO many pref yields are already pricing in significant interest rate cuts. So I have recently switched out off holding in BP.B and ELLA reinvesting in PIBS and floaters (such as CEBB) with much higher yields. I also do not think interest rates will go back to the crazy low levels we have seen in the last cycle so happy to switch out once yield goes below 6.5%.

I am experimenting with using gilts as an intermediary step in my relative value pref / PIBS trades. I have been selling prefs today, moving funds into gilts, with the plan to switch back to prefs when (if !) gilts bounce back and prefs dip. The margin between gilt and some pref yields is sub 200 bps which feels too low to me.

Jwdool
Lemon Pip

Postby Jwdool » January 18th, 2024, 8:16 am

The thing to bear in mind with Aviva (and RSAB) is the declaration of intent to retire the notes as a result of Solvency II. There is little point in insurers maintaining preference shares beyond Dec 25 from a reg cap perspective and we would be wise to proceed in assuming steps will be taken for this paper to be taken out. The question one needs to focus on is how that might take place. Given the circumstances of Aviva's previous actions - and their subsequent declarations - they are now legally bound to have regard to market pricing when taking out any of the 4 issues (AVA/B, GACA/B). On this basis, the most valuable issue is GACA - given it has the highest coupon and issues about cancellation at par are now behind us. The market hasn't yet figured that out, which is why AVA often trades at a premium which isn't justified.

It seems to me the choices facing RSAB/ Aviva are either to tender at or around current market prices, or to follow the BoI playbook and put in place a premium to ensure 75% support for the complete removal of the issues. I would suggest, given the size of the respective firms and the desire to remove the issues in their entirety - the most likely outcome is a generous premium offered as part of a tender. Probably around 10-15% from where ever the market happens to be trading.

On balance, whilst I agree with OldBoyReturns - that prefs ought to be >200bps higher than gilts - in the case of Aviva and RSAB - I don't agree. The market has started to respond to the inevitability of a take-out and I would expect to see a healthy premium building up during 2024-5 to reflect that. For this reason, I'd suggest buying GACA and RSAB at current levels and viewing it as a short term <2 year position with limited downside - regardless of what happens in the gilts markets between now and Q4 2025. I'd be surprised not to see final values of GACA >145 and RSAB >125 on tender. Of course, I could be wrong!

OldBoyReturns
2 Lemon pips

Postby OldBoyReturns » January 18th, 2024, 11:25 am

Jwdool wrote:The thing to bear in mind with Aviva (and RSAB) is the declaration of intent to retire the notes as a result of Solvency II. There is little point in insurers maintaining preference shares beyond Dec 25 from a reg cap perspective and we would be wise to proceed in assuming steps will be taken for this paper to be taken out. The question one needs to focus on is how that might take place. Given the circumstances of Aviva's previous actions - and their subsequent declarations - they are now legally bound to have regard to market pricing when taking out any of the 4 issues (AVA/B, GACA/B). On this basis, the most valuable issue is GACA - given it has the highest coupon and issues about cancellation at par are now behind us. The market hasn't yet figured that out, which is why AVA often trades at a premium which isn't justified.

It seems to me the choices facing RSAB/ Aviva are either to tender at or around current market prices, or to follow the BoI playbook and put in place a premium to ensure 75% support for the complete removal of the issues. I would suggest, given the size of the respective firms and the desire to remove the issues in their entirety - the most likely outcome is a generous premium offered as part of a tender. Probably around 10-15% from where ever the market happens to be trading.

On balance, whilst I agree with OldBoyReturns - that prefs ought to be >200bps higher than gilts - in the case of Aviva and RSAB - I don't agree. The market has started to respond to the inevitability of a take-out and I would expect to see a healthy premium building up during 2024-5 to reflect that. For this reason, I'd suggest buying GACA and RSAB at current levels and viewing it as a short term <2 year position with limited downside - regardless of what happens in the gilts markets between now and Q4 2025. I'd be surprised not to see final values of GACA >145 and RSAB >125 on tender. Of course, I could be wrong!

I think we need to be mindful of the fact that loss of reg cap status does not justify an issuer tendering at whatever level is required to sweep up the whole issue. Issuers such as Aviva will only tender at a level which is clearly in the best interests of equity shareholders. In the banking space we have already seen Lloyds and NatWest tender for their prefs at somewhat underwhelming levels and not revisit to try to clear up the rumps.

There is also the issue that, due to issuance of fixed income securities to retail by financials being barred for many years passed, there will be a lack of practitioners familiar with and confident to advise on offers for retail denominated stuff.

BondSquared
2 Lemon pips

Postby BondSquared » January 18th, 2024, 6:08 pm

Jwdool wrote:
OldBoyReturns wrote:

I'm looking at CAGP, HALB and HALP - Tier 2 LBG looks pretty good value at these levels. Do you perceive there to be any document risk on these notes along the lines of daft cancel/ call/ redemption nonsense - as per the ECNs, or Pref debacle - or should these things be viewed as "must pay", gone concern capital and interest situations?

Are there any other good parallels with other clearers or names with as good or better credit for Tier 2 "must pay". I know there is a bit of confusion at the moment with discretionary payers (such as the PIBS) and it seems to me the "must pay" stuff is better given the non-discretionary aspect of the notes. Appreciate any comments on this.

I'm taking the opposite side - 15y ago, in the GFC, "must pay" vs discretionary pay was still respected by governments and regulators - which is why NWBD and many others kept paying (which is ridiculous if you think about what state these banks were in), and LLPC/D only skipped a few dividends. Ireland tried and failed/abandoned bailing in BOI.
A lot has changed since, and supervisors have been given far-reaching statuatory powers which can overrule almost any contractual provision when it comes to a bank rescue. In effect, everything has become bail-in-able, regardless of the instrument's terms. And the PRA is at the forefront of the trigger-happy bank supervision brigade (they've bailed in SVB UK AT1 via statuatory power last year, as they didn't have a useable contractual trigger).
If we get another banking crisis, I have no doubt the supervisors will happily wipe out those "must-pay" prefs, and now have the power to do so, unlike in the GFC. The explicit justification for these powers came from the fact that the legacy must-pay instruments have shown a complete uselessness when it comes to loss absorption when they're needed - hard to argue against that, just ask any UK taxpayer with respect to RBS/NatWest; the taxpayers coughed up, NWBD holders didn't.

Which led me to think that the yield premium for discretionary pay vs must-pay should be much smaller than before - not zero, as there may still be cases where a full bail-in isn't required, but looking at how bank rescues are playing out these days, skipping a few dividends isn't going to get any supervisor excited in terms of loss absorption benefit and credit given in situations of regulatory capital stress. So I've gotten much more comfortable with discretionary pay instruments with "fixed" returns, all the way down to CCDS, which are as discretionary as it gets, short of ordinaries.

In summary: I don't see the use of foregoing yield for the faint hope of must-pay protection.

The above is obviously only referring to instruments from the regulated financial sector (including insurance).

Jwdool
Lemon Pip

Postby Jwdool » January 19th, 2024, 8:15 am

This is an interesting take and I think there may be some substance in it. The expression "discretionary" has to be taken in context. It doesn't mean "on a whim". Every decision made by a board of directors is subject to an overriding caveat of reasonableness. When we've seen suspension of coupons (e.g. MBSP/R, WBS etc) they've had to be accompanied by reasoning - which typically relates to capital levels (CRDiv/ BoE Stress tests etc).

That said, there are clearly cases where being higher up the stack is advantageous. In the Credit Suisse case, the AT1 Cocos were set at zero, but the Tier 2, Cocos were made whole. That is a hell of a difference in returns, when one considers the coupon difference was ~1.5%-2.5%. Similarly, the "must pay" Tier 2 during the GFC was largely unaffected in the bigger names, but anything with a discretionary coupon fell significantly in value.

Overall, I'd argue that the discretionary stuff needs to trade with a premium but in the case of e.g. building society PIBS who have very high CET1, one has to take that with a pinch of salt. I'd recommend buying anything with a yield >7% at this time.

OldBoyReturns
2 Lemon pips

Postby OldBoyReturns » January 19th, 2024, 10:34 am

BondSquared wrote:I'm taking the opposite side - 15y ago, in the GFC, "must pay" vs discretionary pay was still respected by governments and regulators - which is why NWBD and many others kept paying (which is ridiculous if you think about what state these banks were in), and LLPC/D only skipped a few dividends. Ireland tried and failed/abandoned bailing in BOI.
A lot has changed since, and supervisors have been given far-reaching statuatory powers which can overrule almost any contractual provision when it comes to a bank rescue. In effect, everything has become bail-in-able, regardless of the instrument's terms. And the PRA is at the forefront of the trigger-happy bank supervision brigade (they've bailed in SVB UK AT1 via statuatory power last year, as they didn't have a useable contractual trigger).
If we get another banking crisis, I have no doubt the supervisors will happily wipe out those "must-pay" prefs, and now have the power to do so, unlike in the GFC. The explicit justification for these powers came from the fact that the legacy must-pay instruments have shown a complete uselessness when it comes to loss absorption when they're needed - hard to argue against that, just ask any UK taxpayer with respect to RBS/NatWest; the taxpayers coughed up, NWBD holders didn't.

Which led me to think that the yield premium for discretionary pay vs must-pay should be much smaller than before - not zero, as there may still be cases where a full bail-in isn't required, but looking at how bank rescues are playing out these days, skipping a few dividends isn't going to get any supervisor excited in terms of loss absorption benefit and credit given in situations of regulatory capital stress. So I've gotten much more comfortable with discretionary pay instruments with "fixed" returns, all the way down to CCDS, which are as discretionary as it gets, short of ordinaries.

In summary: I don't see the use of foregoing yield for the faint hope of must-pay protection.

The above is obviously only referring to instruments from the regulated financial sector (including insurance).

Interesting analysis although I don't think we are at a point where all credit of a FI can be said to carry nearly the same risk on the basis that regulators will bail it all in if they need to intervene. While, as you say, situations where discretionary coupon suspension alone are unlikely (although not implausible) regulators will generally respect the hierarchy so the bottom end, such as AT1 and prefs, will be more at risk than T2 and senior. The recent CS example is a case in point with AT1 being bailed in. I think that now regulators have a bigger toolbox and better gauges they can (and will) intervene earlier to stabilise a FI using combination of bail-in and market solution. This, together with higher levels of high quality capital, means credit higher up the stack is significantly less likely to be touched than the more junior stuff.

OldBoyReturns
2 Lemon pips

Postby OldBoyReturns » January 19th, 2024, 10:54 am

Jwdool wrote:I'd recommend buying anything with a yield >7% at this time.

I have noticed a marked change in where the higher (>7% at the moment as you say) yields lie over the past year or so. Previously they tended to be in the more liquid prefs space with PSBs (eg HALP) and PIBS trading on lower yields. However, this seems to have inverted with most prefs trading on lower yields than PSBs and PIBS.

As someone who is always on the lookout for income boosting relative value switch trades this was initially a boon as I have been able to switch many prefs holdings into PIBS and PSBs with a big increase in income. However, I am now at a bit of a stalemate as most PSBs and PIBS are showing no inclination to catch up with prefs. There are also the linked issues of dealing / settlement problems and poor liquidity in the PIBS and PSBs space. Even issues such as HALP, which used to be fairly liquid and traded on a narrow spread, have caught the bug and it now trades on a higher yield than most prefs with a horrible spread.

BondSquared
2 Lemon pips

Postby BondSquared » January 19th, 2024, 4:45 pm

OldBoyReturns wrote:Interesting analysis although I don't think we are at a point where all credit of a FI can be said to carry nearly the same risk on the basis that regulators will bail it all in if they need to intervene. While, as you say, situations where discretionary coupon suspension alone are unlikely (although not implausible) regulators will generally respect the hierarchy so the bottom end, such as AT1 and prefs, will be more at risk than T2 and senior. The recent CS example is a case in point with AT1 being bailed in. I think that now regulators have a bigger toolbox and better gauges they can (and will) intervene earlier to stabilise a FI using combination of bail-in and market solution. This, together with higher levels of high quality capital, means credit higher up the stack is significantly less likely to be touched than the more junior stuff.

I wasn't suggesting that all credit of a FI now carries nearly the same risk - my comments were specific to "must-pay" prefs (I count the likes of NWBD in that camp, as they are discretionary on paper but have strong penalties for any dividend skipping) vs discretionary prefs (with no such penalty, like LLPC/D), not a general comment of senior vs sub, or the entire liability structure of a bank - I should have clarified.

Another aspect here is that since bank legacy sub instruments have lost their recognition as regulatory capital under Basel 3 rules/PRA implementation, they are now actually more vulnerable for a potential bail in (in a going concern scenario) via statuatory powers. When they counted as regulatory capital, bailing them in (=writing them off) made no sense in a going concern scenario, as existing capital cannot create any new capital - it's already capital. That's different now, where they are accounted for as non-CET1, which means that bailing them in actually creates new regulatory capital, so they've now become a prime target for supervisory bail-in action, well before the rest of the stack (depends how the legacy paper is accounted for - the above assumes it's now accounted for as a liability, not equity). That's probably overinterpreting the role of sub debt & prefs, and it doesn't scare me away from them, but any exit via a nicely priced tender removes this risk. And of course you can have outcomes like CS, which wasn't a bail-in via statuatory powers but an exercise of contractual triggers in AT1s - nothing was bailed-in by the supervisor, they only provided the trigger event for the AT1 terms to take its course, without changing the existing terms of any instruments and without writing anything off via statuatory powers. Some AT1 investors disagree on the declaration of the trigger event, but that's a question of how the terms should be read, not about the supervisory overriding thereof.

Still happy with the FI sub/pref universe but some of the spreads over gilts have rallied to such a ridiculous level that I've been taking chips off the table, switching into gilts. My largest position used to be NATW & NATN - still a mystery to me how Natwest treasury management, a year ago, could justify to its shareholders the exercise of the make-whole call at gilts flat and redeem the bond early, allowing me to switch out of an illiquid bank sub bond (with option to convert into prefs) into UK gilts without giving up a single basis point of yield. It cost them around £45mm as a hit to P&L. Noone can tell me that servicing/maintaining the bond issue until 2052, even if it's just recognised as simple debt funding, costs more than a few £100k. And it strikes me that im contrast, tenders for NWBD have been at poor levels in the past. Make-whole call and tender are obviously different animals (the call got rid of the entire issuance at once), but tenders can be structured efficiently to arrive at a similar outcome (hats off to the BOI tender+redemption structure, which also retired the entire bond issue, but much cheaper for the issuer).

SKYSHIP
Lemon Slice

Postby SKYSHIP » January 21st, 2024, 3:55 pm

I often hold GACA - for some reason always the best value of the 4 x Aviva prefs.

At the moment however; having risen over the past 6 months from 112p to 130p; at which level now on a yield of 6.8%; they look to me to be fully valued.

REITs are often viewed as proxy bonds; and from time to time they can offer great yields whilst trading at substantial NAV discounts. These can therefore provide great yields with the added prospect of capital gain as the discounts cyclically close in again.

At the moment there are 3 REITs with continental portfolios which offer great value:

# CLS Holdings (CLI) @ 94.6p. A prime office specialist. 46% UK; 42% Germany, 12% France. NAV discount a staggering 68% and a very well-covered dividend providing a yield of 8.4%

# Tritax Eurobox (EBOX) @ 52.1p. A Logistics specialist across 7 continental countries. NAV discount 40.6% and a covered dividend providing a yield of 8.35%

# Schroder European REIT (SERE) @ 68.6p. A generalist with a low MCap of just £92m. NAV discount 37.6% and a covered dividend providing a yield of 7.43%

BUY the 3 together and you get a combined discount of 48.7% and a combined yield of 8%.

Last week I held four as a group; including Abrdn Property (API). They received a takeover bid on Friday.

There is quite a lot of M&A activity in the sector; and I view it quite likely that another of the remaining 3 will receive a bid before long. Added spice!

Return to “Gilts and Bonds”