Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Out-of-hours FTSE price-level

Reading price charts which may give you direction in the market using established TA methodology
DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Out-of-hours FTSE price-level

Postby DiamondEcho » April 15th, 2018, 12:24 pm

Sometimes esp. when major data or events occur outside regular FTSE trading hours I wonder how the index might next open. You used to be able to see some form of proxy for it via quotes on the spread-bet 'FTSE-DFB' [Daily Funded Bet] at IG Index, but it seems now that is subscription-only.
Googling on it just now I came upon this for the first time; it's coincidence that it is also from IG: Weekend FTSE 100 (.FTSE) I haven't heard of this instrument before.* https://www.ig.com/uk/indices/markets-i ... d-ftse-100

I've no idea what the volume running through that is, and/or if their 7252 -14pts has any notable value. Does anyone know any other out-of-hours indicators that are available on a no-paywall/subscription basis?

* The listed details on that are:
'[Online dealing only., Quoted Saturday and Sunday only. 04:00 Sat - 22:40 Sun UK time. Positions held past 22:40 will automatically roll into equivalent cash contract.]'

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Out-of-hours FTSE price-level

Postby Itsallaguess » April 15th, 2018, 1:24 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:
Sometimes esp. when major data or events occur outside regular FTSE trading hours I wonder how the index might next open. You used to be able to see some form of proxy for it via quotes on the spread-bet 'FTSE-DFB' [Daily Funded Bet] at IG Index, but it seems now that is subscription-only.

Googling on it just now I came upon this for the first time; it's coincidence that it is also from IG: Weekend FTSE 100 (.FTSE) I haven't heard of this instrument before.* https://www.ig.com/uk/indices/markets-i ... d-ftse-100

I've no idea what the volume running through that is, and/or if their 7252 -14pts has any notable value. Does anyone know any other out-of-hours indicators that are available on a no-paywall/subscription basis?

I've had this IG link in my bookmarks for years, and it still seems fairly reliable -

https://www.ig.com/uk/indices

I should note that the above link is currently showing -1.1 for the FTSE, which doesn't even correlate with their other data (-17), contained in your link, so we should probably take both of them with a pinch of salt regarding accuracy, but I do find that in terms of 'general futures-sentiment', my link seems to be fairly reliable.

I've just done a quick Google to see if there's any other futures-data available, and these two links both seem to show FTSE futures up 11.5, so all very random to be honest -

https://www.bloomberg.com/quote/Z%201:IND

https://liveindex.org/ftse-futures/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » May 19th, 2018, 10:25 am

I was looking at this again, and all the links both mine and IAAG show -1.5 > -2 at time of writing. Perhaps some time I'll check them again, say during the last 1/2hr through to an actual market open, and get a feel for how they move vs the 8am 'actual' and succeeding hour or so...

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » May 20th, 2018, 4:50 pm

Just checking-in at this to get a sample:
IG -1.5
Bloomy -1.5
LiveIndex -1.5

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » May 21st, 2018, 3:15 am

At time of writing
IG +61.5
Bloomy +55.5
LiveIndex +56

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » May 21st, 2018, 10:03 am

I missed the pre-open/open, but last check, at time of writing
IG +68.9
Bloomy +59
LiveIndex +59

Vs live cash index from Yahoo +65.6

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 21st, 2018, 10:27 am

DiamondEcho wrote:
I missed the pre-open/open, but last check, at time of writing
IG +68.9
Bloomy +59
LiveIndex +59

Vs live cash index from Yahoo +65.6

Any conclusions then DE?

I've often checked my IG FTSE_futures link on a Sunday evening, and where it's produced similar results to yesterdays marked up-rating, then come Monday morning it's usually been fairly accurately reflected in the FTSE opening price, and it seems on the face of it that the same can be said of your results from yesterday being reflected in the FTSE today, wouldn't you say?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » May 21st, 2018, 4:49 pm

I don't feel I can conclude much from one w/e, but it's striking how the picture changed from Sunday 5pm to Monday 3am. What changed? Was it read-across from Asian markets - hmmm. Or the USvChina=calmer headline soothing things? Or is volume in these index proxies so thin they are of little value until we're right near the re-open of the exchange? I suspect it might have been US proxies/futures reacting to the USvChina trade issue that triggered the positivity; that said IDK the precise timing of that headline.
I've never actually traded these proxies, just tried to use them as an out-of-hours heads up, so it would be really interesting to hear from anyone who does trade them, and does join the dots from Friday close through to Monday open.
Perhaps I'll repeat this exercise again once or twice and see if a 'usefulness vs stage of the w/e' emerges. Might even lay off the Duvel next time and get up for the Monday pre-open :lol:

Return to “Technical Analysis”